SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 20, 2012, 09:20 PM
Mr. Foam, Tape, and Carbon
Joined Feb 2011
292 Posts
Build Log
Swift 3D, inside: my building strategy

Here is my new project. The Swift 3D.
Please for the love of god tell me if someone has already taken that name, I promise I won't kill them, but I will change the name of my plane so I don't look like a plagiarizer
Anyways. I have thrown in some little detail from all sorts of planes I have seen and... well from a pickup truck too. I was thinking "Ford Ranger" while I was building it.
I noticed on the Fancy Foam Fenix, both the v1 and the v2 that the wing is somewhat squarish. I decided to incorporate that kinda into the design. So props to them. Because I have always made much thinner wingtips on my airplanes, well, not a whole lot thinner but reasonably thinner.
I have been playing around with wing sweep as well. I have discovered that it gets your CG back relative to the fuselage and makes a plane knife edge cleaner.
You may notice that I have more fuse chord UNDER the wing that over it, well, the carbon and landing gear is down there so it deserves a bit more area to make up for that. I think.
Anyways, I will update the pictures and the info as I go. You guys better be damn appreciable for me doing this! Its a pain in the tush to make a build thread you know!
I think it looks really cool and it should fly well. Who cares? First version of the design so looking cool is the top of priorities!
Anyways, wish me luck and feel free to attempt a build using the plans. Remember I have no idea how it flies so... Don't keep your expectations very high if you choose to do so. But it should fly alright. I usually have good luck with that.
Now, I will go through how I build planes and the method I use as a part of this thread. This will be applicable to just about any self made 3D foamy in this size class. As well as how I lay out my carbon, which has never let me down, ever. My airplanes have always been rock solid in the air. So you may want to keep up with the thread just for that simple stupid reason.

Chris G.
RCvehicleGuy is offline Find More Posts by RCvehicleGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2012, 05:08 PM
Joined Feb 2011
292 Posts
Update

Okey dokey! The airplane is finished and the pictures have been taken, at least as many as I could in the short period of time I had. Near the end I had to stop and hurry to finish the airplane before 12 this morning. I had to get it finished then to enter it in a building contest at the Westlake RC club. I got an amazing 1st place in my building category! HOORAY!!!
Its going to take me a while to get all the pictures uploaded, mostly because of the fact that the files are large and the internet speed is small.

Chris G.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined Feb 2011
292 Posts
Okey dokey. The instructions continue...
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:43 PM
Joined Feb 2011
292 Posts
Mein Kampf (My struggle)

The difficulty I have with the uploader is so great. That I am making preparations to commit a murder.
That was a joke.
But seriously, could this thing be ANY harder to use? I have tried to load the last set of photos multiple times and every time I make some kind of mistake that takes an hour away from my life that I will never get back. Ever.
I will try again tomorrow. Sorry for the disappointment.

Chris G.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 03:11 PM
Joined Feb 2011
292 Posts
Updating once more! And probably again after this. Though I am not a hundred percent sure.
Ya, definitely not the last of the updates here.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:33 AM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,834 Posts
Cool Subbed ..
Good luck on the maiden
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:54 PM
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
914 Posts
Hehe, that looks like a T-72 tank but I bet it flies quite well! Good job.
Finnspeed is offline Find More Posts by Finnspeed
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:42 PM
Joined Feb 2011
292 Posts
Oh it was maidened LONG ago. I actually based the nose and canopy off of a 2011 Ford Ranger.
I will get a video of it. It does fly nice. Very nice actually. Well, at least I think so.
Thanks for the comments!

Chris G.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:36 PM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
I like it! Good for you, you came up with an idea and made it work! That's the heart of this sport, er, hobby, er obsession! Unfortunately, Techone does have a 48 in foamie called the "Swift". Why not just go with "Ranger"?
EZglider is offline Find More Posts by EZglider
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:21 PM
D/FW
Joined Aug 2004
704 Posts
Hate to bust your bubble on the name, but Techone makes a plane called the Swift 3D. I've got one myself and it's awesome. Not sure if you couldn't call yours that anyways. Nitroplanes sells the Techone Swift if you wanna check them out.
JoeDirtRC is offline Find More Posts by JoeDirtRC
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:23 AM
One more flight...
USA, AL, Mobile
Joined Aug 2008
270 Posts
If you had posted this in the scratchbuild forum you'd have had more replies IMO... None the less, looks good, vids or it didn't fly, and for your next project - a ford svt raptor.
n00ber420 is offline Find More Posts by n00ber420
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:00 PM
El Cajon, CA
Joined May 2007
320 Posts
Or how about "Stranger"?
dynodude is offline Find More Posts by dynodude
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:04 PM
Joined Feb 2011
292 Posts
I'll call it Swift, TechOne stuff is junk anyways.
Joking, I had a Malibu 2 once upon a time. As long as you build it according to common sense instead of the directions it turns out kinda light. But then you fly it an realize that it actually flies pretty darn straight.
The Swift has 50 flights or so on it. It does fly very well. Very crisp rolling behaviors and it tracks pretty straight too. Swift v2 is actually currently in production. I will get a video up of the original Swift as soon as I can. Gotta glue it back together though. Needs a new ESC too, it died in a pretty high hover, and if you know profile foamies this size like some of us do you know that they slip backwards in a HURRY if they are not extremely light and they don't have airbrakes. So it accordianified the tail a little. Easy fix but now it will be a little tail heavy...
Good thing I got it's 14 dollars worth of use.

Chris G.