HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:54 PM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
3,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyG View Post
Those are cool. Have you posted a how-to or a link to one someone else has posted on the process and materials?

scott.
Hi Mate,

Nope haven't posted any how-to or anything. I just carved one master blade from balsa, then made a two part mold from it. Simple as.

I'm still testing which resins are suitable for use. I've had a few fly apart in previous attempts, but I'm pretty sure that was due to my lack of patience. The resin hadn't fully cured.

Cheers,

Steve
dambit is online now Find More Posts by dambit
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:55 PM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,752 Posts
@ Orion & mpodder - Are you guys using normal epoxy to glue the windings back on, or are you using metal epoxy?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:07 PM
Maurice
Bakersfield, Cal.
Joined Jul 2004
1,073 Posts
I just used regular 15 min epoxy but you are right something like JB weld would be better.
mpodder is offline Find More Posts by mpodder
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:16 PM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Well I just tried keying the mount. It created the bur and it was small enough, but since its just a little but and its soft aluminum, It just rounded flat trying to put on the armature. So making it key is out but just as I was about to mix up some epoxy, Steve, you proposed a great idea. JB weld. Didn't even think of it. JB weld isn't conducive in any way is it. Don't want to short anything out.

Orion
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:19 PM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,752 Posts
Not sure about it being conductive, but as you're joining metal to metal it wouldn't matter.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:21 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Well I don't know much about electric motors but I am certain it will get on the copper windings and I hope that they are not separated in some way that JB Weld could mess up.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:24 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Well I went to JB Welds FAQ and no it does not conduct electricity and you must clean the metal with acetone or laquer thinner. You can not use alcohol because it leaves a residue. So I am off to the store to get some JB Weld.

Orion
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:28 PM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,752 Posts
I think it will be far stronger than normal epoxy. As far as the copper windings go, they should be enameled anyway, so it wouldn't matter if JB was conductive.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:03 PM
Joined Apr 2012
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax View Post
Well I went to JB Welds FAQ and no it does not conduct electricity and you must clean the metal with acetone or laquer thinner. You can not use alcohol because it leaves a residue. So I am off to the store to get some JB Weld.

Orion
if its not to late could you please video or at least take some snap shots of what you are doing. plan to do the same thing when i get home.

B
rbong40 is offline Find More Posts by rbong40
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:08 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Yup, getting ready to start the video now. Once done I will upload it tonight.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:20 PM
Joined Apr 2012
53 Posts
http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.php/products_id/2638

Just saw this on Phillup's website. It was posted 3 days ago. Not sure if this is FMS's correction and will be included in all of the new FW-190 kits or if this is the same motor. Going to email Phillup and ask.

B
rbong40 is offline Find More Posts by rbong40
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:52 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
So I have let the metal epoxy set up for an hour and it is already stronger. Its going to take 24 hours for it to be solid so I am going to leave it be till then but after an hour it seems very promising.

Orion
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:32 PM
Victoria BC Canada
Joined Jan 2008
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbong40 View Post
http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.php/products_id/2638

Just saw this on Phillup's website. It was posted 3 days ago. Not sure if this is FMS's correction and will be included in all of the new FW-190 kits or if this is the same motor. Going to email Phillup and ask.

B
I odred the FW kit with and wanted this motor from Philip last week so he got the motor in for me. I imagine he ordered a few so he could list them on his site. I don't know if it is any better but as it is not attached to the airframe I can make sure of it's quality before I install it. For me it seems that the performance is not an issue just the quality of manufacture. So With the kit and motor combo I can make sure all is well before flight. Win - Win.
Lexta is offline Find More Posts by Lexta
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Royal Australian Navy Sea Fury
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:52 PM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,752 Posts
I'm stoked, my motor turned up. Post office said it was in the US but it was actually in my POST box.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:33 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Video is producing and I will upload in the morning.