HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:55 PM
ET
United States, DE, Hockessin
Joined Apr 2006
672 Posts
Time's almost up. If you are waiting until the last minute to sign up this is it. For the lucky guys that are already registered: we'll see you tomorrow.

The field is looking as good as I've ever seen it and the weekend weather is wonderful.

Seeya,

Eric
eteet is offline Find More Posts by eteet
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:47 PM
Who needs a pilot??
Alexandria, VA
Joined Jul 2002
1,160 Posts
Wow, left southeast DC area at 342 thinking that was early enough to at least get to Baltimore before traffic hours started ... google says it should be a 2 hour 30 minute trip. Just pulled in at 730 to finish almost a full 4 hour trip from dc to Newark. Blargh. Looking for some fun at the field tomorrow, apparently sloping some trees!

PS Austin I'm spelling EXPERT as 2013. Thanks for the reminder :-)

Dan
danstrider is offline Find More Posts by danstrider
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:38 PM
ET
Joined Apr 2006
672 Posts
Yikes! Four hours, sorry to hear that. I'll be at the field tomorrow by 6:30 for any and all that want to show up early and get in some practice. Should be a very good day.

Eric
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:24 PM
F3B and F3K
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2009
1,558 Posts
Delaware did not disappoint: good Pizza and lots of wind.

I normally don't land in trees, but today it was twice. When the wind picked up a notch and you were deep downwind, well some planes stayed downwind.

Austin and I had different ideas of ballast, a difference of 4 ounces! Interestingly we both made it work ok.

We flew eleven rounds, from short hops to some long downwind rides.
Reto
RetoF3X is online now Find More Posts by RetoF3X
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: more Tweagle testing
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:42 PM
United States, MD, Rockville
Joined Nov 2000
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetoF3X View Post
Delaware did not disappoint: good Pizza and lots of wind.

I normally don't land in trees, but today it was twice. When the wind picked up a notch and you were deep downwind, well some planes stayed downwind.
...... Reto
I know that feeling

Sounds like lots of flying great show.
CFrench is offline Find More Posts by CFrench
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:07 PM
Who needs a pilot??
Alexandria, VA
Joined Jul 2002
1,160 Posts
Boy was it ever windy. It wasn't bad on any normal day when you'd be ok waiting for five minutes for the gust to pass or even if the field boundaries were thirty feet closer to the treeline. I had two landings over the trees one shooting the gap between trees and lamding on a bike path. Some kind biker retrieved it for me. But the field was beautiful and I don't know if there is a orettier place to fly. My props to the organizers and the locals who get to fly here for maintaining a nice shed, even equipped with ac and a golf cart. Walt and I had some real back and forth on the auld. Shame I landed two of five out. There were some memorable saves surfing the trees in hero or zero style. Pulled off a five minute after getting back to tree return height. Just wait for the bounce and wait and there it is turn hard and drift fast. Had to take some risks downwind over the trees to gain but learned the lesson in this chop to bail after only a couple turns because the long downwind rides just weren't there. Challenging at times. But fun when you got a wild ride :-)

Sure were missing a lot of people ... no Phil no Jim no pilot A or pilot B. Shame on you guys for missing all the fun!

Don't have my computer to post pics so yhatll have to wait for tomorrow. Trent's wife too a couple hundred.

More fun to be had now at iron hill. Will post a report on that too heh.

Dan
danstrider is offline Find More Posts by danstrider
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:12 PM
Jim C
Joined Sep 2009
1,473 Posts
Jim flew in Tullahoma, TN this weekend. Nice one day event on a great field. Missed seeming you guys this year.

The trophies are in the trees.
ShadowFalken is offline Find More Posts by ShadowFalken
Old Sep 16, 2012, 05:49 PM
United States, MD, Rockville
Joined Nov 2000
271 Posts
Results?
CFrench is offline Find More Posts by CFrench
Old Sep 16, 2012, 07:38 PM
De Chelonian Mobile!
Wilmington, Delaware, USA
Joined Jul 2006
220 Posts
When you're tired of high-speed launch videos...

...why not time-lapse a whole hand launch contest instead?

As a little experiment, I took a webcam to the contest and shot 7340 frames at 30 frames per minute. The resulting time-lapse footage (YouTube) compresses four hours of contest into four minutes of video. Watching the pilots move around the field is strangely compelling, and you can occasionally catch a glider flash past for a single frame..

I left in the lunchtime gap (from 3:20 to 3:48) because the it's fun to watch the clouds drift by.

Oh, yeah -- the contest was a lot of fun, too!
leipold is offline Find More Posts by leipold
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:43 AM
ET
Joined Apr 2006
672 Posts
I'm a bit busy right now but here are the scores just so you can see who did what. More to follow. BTW: sorry about the orientation but I think you can rotate the pdf file after you open it. I think.

Both of these files have two pages so be sure to get the whole story.
Last edited by eteet; Sep 17, 2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:43 AM
Jim C
Joined Sep 2009
1,473 Posts
What happened to Kevin? It looks like he "retired" early again Saturday.
ShadowFalken is offline Find More Posts by ShadowFalken
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:17 AM
ET
Joined Apr 2006
672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFalken View Post
What happened to Kevin? It looks like he "retired" early again Saturday.
Kevin only signed up for one day and with a great display of chutzpah only brought one model. This was noticed by the "Model Airplane Gods" and naturally his plane was smote down. I wasn't watching but I think his boom broke on launch.

If he'd of brought two I'm sure nothing would have happened.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:25 AM
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Feb 2007
634 Posts
Kevin had a midair then a tip strike that took him out of the contest.

Big thanks to the SKSS crew for putting on this contest. The field really is a nice one, and Eric and crew run a very smooth contest.

Conditions were very difficult both Saturday and Sunday, lift would be there and the completely disappear. One flight i hooked up immediatly and was at around 500feet by the 45second mark and on the ground at 2:11. Vicious sink! Winds were a large factor and never at a good angle to really slope the trees, they were successful in producing a fair share of land outs on Saturday.

Random thoughts.
Reto is a better pilot than me. But not by much.
Timers can make or break a round. Especially Poker. (which sucks anyways)
You can never be too high.
A 9oz validol has longer legs that a14oz sal Peter but the sal Peter will still out climb it.
Never turn your back on the little guy.
Deleware's pizza is better than most of the pizza in NY. Not all but most.

All in all a great weekend.

Austin
austinhlg is offline Find More Posts by austinhlg
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:37 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinhlg View Post
Deleware's pizza is better than most of the pizza in NY. Not all but most.
Clearly you are still dizzy from all that throwing. Either that or Delaware only has the one pizza place. LOL

to each their own.

I knows these were baiting comments so I had to respond.
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:45 PM
ET
Joined Apr 2006
672 Posts
One of our members, Gerald Terfloth, took a few (400!) pics of the contest and posted them online.

I have a few more that I'll eventually post and hopefully some of the pilots will also post some pics along with they're exploits at the contest.