HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:06 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,132 Posts
Any advice on where to stay? I checked out some of the less expensive places, but the reviews are terrible. I don't know whether to believe them, but they did give me pause.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:02 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,119 Posts
Lincoln,
I have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express just off the highway and it was very nice. It was more money but no bugs or issues to deal with.

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:32 PM
ET
United States, DE, Hockessin
Joined Apr 2006
700 Posts
Hi Lincoln,

Thanks for signing up and coming to Fall Fling from the far off land of Massachusetts! We are recommending the Super 8 motel right there in Newark, the contact info is listed in the first post. It's not the cheapest but it is close to the field and even closer to the Iron Hill Brewery, where we meet for Saturday night dinner.

Kevin Sharbonda has stayed at a cheaper motel near I-95 so maybe he'll chime in here with the name. Or maybe someone will want to share a room and split expenses?

See you soon (might want to think of coming down on Friday for some flying),

Eric
eteet is offline Find More Posts by eteet
Last edited by eteet; Sep 10, 2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:51 AM
Joined Dec 2001
7,132 Posts
So you're saying the frightening reviews for the Super 8 aren't sincere? That's good news. There are also frightening review for the Econolodge, though I've stayed at others elsewhere with no issues.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:27 AM
ET
Joined Apr 2006
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
So you're saying the frightening reviews for the Super 8 aren't sincere?
Well...I've never stayed there myself but I picked that hotel because it's close to our field and the restaurants in Newark. We've been recommending it for three years and none of our contestants have complained about it.

The Bed Bug Registry website does not have any reports of bed bugs there, but the Trip Advisor site is not kind to it. Out of 12 reviews six rate the motel as Terrible and the other six go from Poor to Good. For me the lack of bed bug sightings is the most important thing. It also seems advisable to check your bill closely when checking out.

I did a quick web search and came up with a few hotels near the intersection of I-95 and route 896. If you stayed at one of these motels it would increase your drive time to the field by about 10 minutes and I'm not sure the motels there are any better.

Can some guys who've stayed at the Super 8 chime in and give us a mini review of that motel??

Eric
Last edited by eteet; Sep 11, 2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:01 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,119 Posts
The Econolodge next to the Holiday Inn Express on 273 just off 95 had bed bugs 2 years ago. We decided to move up and stay at the Holiday Inn express and it was very nice. 2 kinds of pillows on each bed, firm and soft, mattress protectors to help ward off bugs and a very clean room. It was so nice, I even brought my family there the last time. I would go back there again this year if I was able to come. Breakfast was worth it too. then again, those guys who hung out with us would drive over and eat breakfast at the Holiday Inn with us.

Haven't stayed anywhere else.

Also, it is like 5 mins from the gambling track. Some of us made enough money there to cover the trip.

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:46 PM
Joined Dec 2001
7,132 Posts
But woudn't they have bed bugs there now that you moved from one to the other? ;-p
BTW, my lifetime record is $2 ahead on the horses and I intend to keep it that way.

Thanks for the info, and get better soon!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:23 PM
But I am learning
USA, MD, Cumberland
Joined Apr 2008
1,047 Posts
Well as the times draws near, I am going to have to sit this one out. I am still not up to par, and I can't justify the 4 plus hour drive and lodging. Sorry guys, I hope you all have an excellent contest.

Brian P.
I_Can't_Fly is offline Find More Posts by I_Can't_Fly
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:16 PM
ET
Joined Apr 2006
700 Posts
Hey Brian,

Sorry to hear that you're not going to make it but I hope that resting your back gives you some time to heal. Looking forward to seeing you at Wilson.

Take care,

Eric
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:22 PM
ET
Joined Apr 2006
700 Posts
Alrighty then,

To give our score keeping team a chance to get organized we are going to end registration at 6PM on Friday. So, if you're coming get it together and register. Of course, if you do show up at the last minute I don't think we'll turn you away.

I was out at the field today and it looks spectacular. The recent rain has really done wonders.

Eric
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:10 AM
ET
Joined Apr 2006
700 Posts
Weather forecast this weekend is for "abundant sunshine" and temps in the mid-seventies. Ah, September. You gotta love it.

Eric
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:03 PM
Who needs a pilot??
Alexandria, VA
Joined Jul 2002
1,167 Posts
A last-minute sign-up! I'm going to try the Super 8 as well. Leaving from DC ~3:30 and hoping to beat at least _some_ of the Baltimore traffic. Anyone going to be at the field on Friday evening?

Dan
danstrider is offline Find More Posts by danstrider
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:36 PM
ET
Joined Apr 2006
700 Posts
Hey Dan,

Thanks for signing up. I'll be at the field most of the day tomorrow setting up and such. But by the time you arrive I might be home resting up for the big day. I'll PM my cell number to you and you can give me a call with your ETA. If you can arrive earlier, say around noon or 1, I'd definitely be there. I think George Burgin is going to try and get to the field around noon, so you guys can fly together and plan your strategy!

See you soon,

Eric
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:15 PM
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Feb 2007
729 Posts
Strategy?? On this field?

1. Pimp the trees
2. If that doesn't work Pimp some other trees.
3. Still not working? Follow someone that is pimping the trees better than you.
4. Still lost? Refer to 1-3

@Dan you signed up wrong! EXPERT is not spelled SPORTSMAN.

Getting stoked see you all soon for some great flying on a great field.

Austin
austinhlg is online now Find More Posts by austinhlg
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:49 PM
ET
Joined Apr 2006
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinhlg View Post
1. Pimp the trees
2. If that doesn't work Pimp some other trees.
3. Still not working? Follow someone that is pimping the trees better than you.
4. Still lost? Refer to 1 to 3.
Hey, stop giving away all the secrets!