HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Banana Hobby Genesis Power 65C LiPo Battery Packs: Tested By 4 Reviewers

Banana Hobby approached RC Groups about reviewing their new series of Genesis Power 65C battery packs. Four authors share their separate opinions on these packs tested in different aircraft.

Splash

Introduction:Banana Hobby Genesis Power 65C LiPo Battery Pack Reviews

Battery Type:Genesis Power LiPo packs
Number of Cells Per Pack:2-6
mAhs:450 - 6000
Voltage:7.4Volts per pack to 22.2Volts
Manufacturer:Genesis Power
Available From:BananaHobby
Price:$5.00 to $146.00

I was approached by Banana Hobby with a request for RC Groups, and in particular E-Zone, to put their new 65C Genesis Power LiPo Battery Packs to the test and honestly report how they work. They wanted several reviewers to test the battery packs with a variety of aircraft and report any problems. While no problems were expected, we were part of their expanded testing of these packs.

Four reviewers have tested these 65C packs in various Voltages and mAh with various aircraft and have written their own review sections concerning the packs they tested, how they charged them and the results of their tests. They tested the packs individually working and writing independently and each has his own section of this report to discuss how he tested the battery packs and to report their results. Chris Mulcahy tested two different size packs: a 6S 5000mAh pack with his 550e TRex and a 3S 2200mAh pack with a sailplane and a parkflyer. Dick Andersen tested a 6S 5000mAh pack with his E-flite Habu and a 4S 3300 pack powered his E-flite Extra 300. Michael McDougall tested three 4S 2800mAh packs that will be used in his EF-1 racers with a battery pack weight limit that these packs meet of being at or under 325 grams. I am Michael Heer, and I tested a 7.4V 65C 850mAh pack with my new Novus 200FP helicopter. I have tested a 3S 450mAh pack with my Multiplex Merlin, a 3s 2200mAh pack with my Super Stearman and two 4S 5000mAh packs powered my quarter scale Hangar 9 Cub.

We hope you enjoy this novel approach to a review. I wrote the opening and shared it with my fellow reviewers to comment upon, but it was left up to the individual reporters to present their portion of the review in any way they wanted to present it. Hopefully, that will lead to a much more interesting review then if all four us us followed an identical format. We thank Banana Hobby for giving us this assignment and supplying the Genesis Power battery packs for testing/reviewing.

Genesis Power 65C List of Battery Packs

The three packs marked JST come with JST connectors; all other packs have T-Plug Ultra connectors

2-Cell 65C Genesis Power Packs

• 7.4V 450mAh Pack $5.00 JST
  • 7.4V 850mAh Pack $7.00 JST
  • 7.4V 1800mAh Pack $15.00
  • 7.4V 2200mAh Pack $18.00

3-Cell 65C Genesis Power Packs

• 11.1V 450mAh Pack $8.00 JST
  • 11.1V 850mAh Pack $11.00
  • 11.1V 1000mAh Pack $13.00
  • 11.1V 1300mAh Pack $16.00
  • 11.1V 1800mAh Pack $22.00
  • 11.1V 2200mAh Pack $27.00
  • 11.1V 2800mAh Pack $34.00
  • 11.1V 3300mAh Pack $42.00
  • 11.1V 3700mAh Pack $47.00
  • 11.1V 4500mAh Pack $57.00

4-Cell 65C Genesis Power Packs

• 14.8V 850mAh Pack $15.00
  • 14.8V 2200mAh Pack $37.00
  • 14.8V 2500mAh Pack $41.00
  • 14.8V 2800mAh Pack $45.00
  • 14.8V 3300mAh Pack $55.00
  • 14.8V 4000mAh Pack $66.00
  • 14.8V 5000mAh Pack $84.00

5-Cell 65C Genesis Power Packs

• 18.5V 2800mAh Pack $56.00
  • 18.5V 3300mAh Pack $69.00
  • 18.5V 4200mAh Pack $84.00
  • 18.5V 5000mAh Pack $104.00

6-Cell 65C Genesis Power Packs

• 22.2V 2200mAh Pack $54.00
  • 22.2V 2500mAh Pack $61.00
  • 22.2V 3300mAh Pack $82.00
  • 22.2V 3700mAh Pack $95.00
  • 22.2V 4000mAh Pack $97.00
  • 22.2V 4500mAh Pack $112.00
  • 22.2V 5000mAh Pack $125.00
  • 22.2V 5500mAh Pack $134.00
  • 22.2V 6000mAh Pack $146.00

A Very Brief Overview to Lithium Polymer (LiPo) Batteries

Lithium Polymer cells are 3.7 Volts each. They can be charged to a maximum of 4.2 Volts per cell and discharged at most down to 3.0 Volts per cell. If charged above 4.2 volts there is a significant risk of fire or explosion. If discharged below 3.0 Volts per cell there is a strong chance that they will be ruined and not accept another charge. It is also very important to keep the cells in a pack balanced so that the mAhs per cell remain very close to even with the other cells in the pack. The Genesis Power packs all come with a JST-XH charging connector and that should always be used in the charging process to keep the packs balanced. The shape of the connector differs with the number of cells in the pack. The charger used should be specifically designed to charge Lithium Polymer batteries using the JST-XH charging connector. For safety reasons the battery packs should be in ceramic, fire-proof containers, Lipo sacks or other fire-proof containers when being charged. They should be stored in fire-proof containers and stored at about half charge when not in use. Proper balanced chargers and storage equipment are a must when using any LiPo batteries. Additionally, NEVER leave the battery unattended at any time while being charged or discharged. If there is a crash while using a LiPo battery the battery should be removed from the aircraft and placed on a non-flammable surface and observed for approximately 20 minutes and felt to see if it is warm or warming up. Damaged packs can appear fine but if truly damaged can slowly heat up and then burst into flame at or above 2,000 degrees F. Read the warnings following this section and pay attention to them. LiPo batteries don't scare me but I always treat them with respect and with safety in mind.

The Genesis Power packs involved in this review are wired in series. Two cells connected in series supplies 7.4 Volts, three cells 11.1 Volts, four cells 14.8 Volts, five cells 18.5 Volts and six cells 22.2 Volts. Contrast this with NiMH and NiCd cells which are 1.2 Volts per cell and you can see there is a significant difference in Voltage. This review deals with Genesis Power 65C packs ranging from 2S-cell packs to 6S-cell packs so the Voltage is from 7.4 Volts to 22.2 Volts. As listed above the packs come in different voltages but they also come with different capacities ranging from 450 mAh in the smallest Genesis Power 65C power pack to as much as 6,000 mAh in the largest pack in the series. The mAhs is how much power the pack can hold when fully charged. For an easy analogy consider it as an electrical gas tank. A 1,000 mAh battery would be completely discharged in one hour with a 1,000 mAh load placed on it. With a 2,000 mAh load it would be drained in a 1/2 hour. If space and wait tolerances allow the mAhs can be increased to allow for greater flight time or reduced to obtain a lighter aircraft. In this review we are testing the new 65C series of Genesis Power battery packs so let me explain the C abbreviation next.

The C rating is the number of mAhs the battery pack can hold. Thus on a 3 cell 2,200 mAh back the C rating is 2,200. The number before the C is the battery pack's discharge rate as related to the capacity of the pack. If we had a 1,000 mAh battery pack with a 20C rating we could draw a maximum sustained load of 20,000 mAhs (20 x 1,000). At this rate a fully charged 1,000 mAh battery pack would be drained in three minutes; a 20C 2,000 mAh pack would be drained in six minutes. That is assuming the motor can draw and is only drawing power at 20C. On the Genesis Power packs the constant drain limit is a whopping 65C (with our 3-cell 2200 pack that is 65 x 2200) but it also has a Maximum Burst Discharge rate of 130C. For brief periods it can draw up to twice the constant mAh draw for which the battery pack is rated. There is no harm in having a battery pack with a C rating greater then needed. However, using a battery pack with a C rating below what is needed will prevent you from getting the desired performance and may severely shorten the life of the battery pack that is having a greater strain placed on it then it was designed or intended for use. But discharge is only half of the consideration for the C rating. It also relates to the charging rate as well. The original LiPos could only be charged at 1C which meant long, slow charges. I still do 1C charges when time allows such as the night before an event. However, at the event I often want to charge the battery more quickly to get back in the air as soon as possible. The 65C Genesis Power packs can be charged at up to 8 times there C rating. That is charging them up to 8 times quicker. A battery pack that takes 90 minutes to charge at 1C can be charged in about 11 1/2 minutes at 8C. Now as a practical matter my chargers are limited as to how many mAhs they can supply so while I can recharge a 450 mAh pack at 8C, I can only charge my 2,200 pack at a maximum of 3C with my current equipment. Since overcharging (charging at too high a mAh rate) is one of, if not the biggest killers of LiPo battery packs. With the 65C rating and its charge rate of up to 8C that should help prevent that from happening with these Genesis Power packs.

This is a very brief discussion of LiPos. If you are new to the use of LiPo battery packs I strongly recommend you search the Internet and learn more about them for your own safety and enjoyment of your battery packs. Handled properly the battery packs can be recharged up to hundreds of times. Handled incorrectly the pack may be destroyed on the first charge.

Below is the Warning Posted with each Genesis Power 65C battery Pack

Warning

• WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED BY INCORRECT CHARGING OF LITHIUM POLYMER BATTERIES
  • NEVER leave the battery unattended at any time while being charged or discharged
  • ALWAYS charge battery in a fireproof location
  • DO NOT expose battery to direct sunlight for extended periods of time, or place in direct contact with any liquids
  • ALWAYS store battery at room temperature in cool or shaded area.
  • Temperatures exceeding 170F may cause damage to battery and cause a fire
  • DO NOT use the battery if any LiPo cell in the pack has been physically damaged, swells, leaks, or over 160F(71C) in temperature
  • DO NOT discharge the battery at current exceeding the max discharge current.
  • Improper discharge may result in battery deterioration, burst, swell or even cause fire
  • ONLY use LiPo specific chargers to charge only.
  • DO NOT charge the battery at voltage exceeding 4.2V/cell and charge current exceeding the Max charge rate
  • NEVER disassemble, puncture, shock, crash, short or put battery in the fire
  • NEVER charge the battery while it is inside a model
  • ALWAYS store battery in a secure location away from children

Battery Packs Arrived in Safe Packaging

Because LiPos can be damaged if dropped or if something is dropped on them how they are packaged and shipped is a consideration. Each battery pack came in a plastic bag that was marked as a static sensitive device. The bagged battery pack was packaged in a cardboard box the proper size for the battery with foam inserts on the sides, top and bottom of the box. The ends of the battery packs were up against the ends of the cardboard box and inside the static sensitive bag the discharge wires were secured to the side of the battery with a band of thin plastic and the charging connector was tucked under the discharge wire at the end of the pack. This was a very nice packaging job to protect the batteries. Finally, the multiple boxes of batteries were wrapped in bubble wrap and shipped in a small, corrugated cardboard box.

WARRANTY!

The first quote below is from the Banana Hobby website:

"For the first time, Banana Hobby will offer a FULL 6 months Limited Warranty! (Please see LiPo details for complete warranty information) The perfect balance between C ratings, Size and MaH ratings! Genesis Power will have every LiPo you are looking to add to your RC madness! Genesis Power is a combination of what the hobbyist wants and what Pete can incorporate at a price that makes YOU the Hobbyist the WINNER!"

I still had questions about the warranty for the battery packs but those questions were cleared up before I asked them in an e-mail from Banana Hobby with the following quote:

"Also wanted to mention that the Genesis Power batteries are covered by a full 6 months warranty by Banana Hobby, in case your readers were wondering. Any issues at all, and we will replace for a brand new pack."

So save your purchase slip and track your packs as they are solidly backing them for the first six months that you have the pack. I think that covers all the general issues so now read what the reviewers had to say about these battery packs.

Dick Andersen's Review

Genesis Power 65C 4-cell 3,300mAh Battery Pack

Number of Cells in Pack:4
Connector Discharge: T-Plug Ultra
Connector Charge: JST-XH
mAhs:3,300
Voltage:14.8Volts
Test Aircraft:Horizon Hobby, E-flite Extra 300
Price:$55.00

To test the 4-cell 3300mAh Genesis Power pack I used my E-flite Extra 300 equipped per E-flite's recommendations. It has an E-flite Power 32 motor with 13 x 6.5 prop and a 60 Amp ESC. For charging I used the E-station BC-8 balance charger. Per my charger the opening voltage per cell on this four-cell pack had three cells at 3.96V and one at 3.97V. I charged the pack right out of the box at 1C and it took about 41 minutes to get the pack to a full charge by adding 1528 mAh to the pack. With my pack fully charged I flew my Extra 300 for five minutes, and I used 1458 mAhs during that five minute flight. After landing, I felt the pack and it was cool to the touch. Part of that flight can be seen on the video below. I flew with a mixture of throttle. It had plenty of power throughout the flight and I did nothing to break in the battery pack before the flight.

Downloads

Youtube link.

At home after recharging the pack I did some bench testing of the battery with my Watt meter. I ran the plane for about a full minute. It was drawing 49.6 Amps, 728 Watts. Voltage started at 15.52V and after a minute of full speed operation was down to 14.35V. After the one minute full throttle bench test the battery was still cool to the touch but the wires and the speed controller were both warm.

Genesis Power 65C 6-cell 5,000mAh Battery Pack

Number of Cells in Pack:6
mAhs:5,000
Voltage:22.2Volts
Test Aircraft:Horizon Hobby, E-flite Habu
Price:$125

My test plane for the 6-cell 5000mAh pack was my E-flite Habu with standard recommended equipment. The motor is an E-flite DF32 with 2150kV and an 80mm fan with a Castle Creation ICE 100 ESC. I have modified my Habu by adding decorative wing tip tanks from Tamjet to help increase the visibility of the plane. The Genesis Power 6-cell pack arrived with all 6 cells reading 3.89 on my charger as shown below. To get the six-cell pack ready for my Habu I charged it at 1C (That was the highest I could do with this 5000mAh pack.) and it took 2487 mAh and 40 minutes and 44 seconds of charging. The Voltage reading fully charged was 25.19V. The video below shows part of the first flight with the Genesis Power 6-cell pack. The flight of the Habu lasted four minutes and it used approximately 3105mAh. The battery was just slightly warm. I was surprised by how cool it was based on how hot the 30C pack I used before gets in the plane. I was very happy with the plane's performance with the battery and I was using the ESC's BEC on the ICE 100.

Downloads

Youtube link.

I also did some bench testing with the Habu and the Genesis Power 6-cell pack. At full throttle my Watt meter read 61.2Amps and wattage was 1317. Starting voltage was 25.8V and after a minute had dropped down to 21.35V. During the testing the connectors got warm but once again the battery pack itself remained cool. The speed controller did get warm but there was not much air flow over it during the bench test. I was again surprised that the battery pack has not gotten warm as the other packs I have used in the past got warm to hot with similar operation.

Higher C rating for Safer Operation

On a visit to a flying field in Southern California I had an interesting conversation with another RC pilot about battery packs and high C ratings. He said that the lower C rating packs have spikes when they are being pressed in higher amperage draw situations. This includes using BEC through the speed controller with a high power motor , multiple motors or a large number of servos etc. These spikes can cause receivers to shut down as a momentary loss of power to the receiver or voltage below its minimum requirement can cause a loss of control and lead to a crash. He said using the higher C rated batteries eliminates that problem. Now I won't go so far as to say it eliminates the problem but it makes sense to me that it would greatly reduce the potential problem from voltage low spikes. I plan to buy higher C rated batteries in part for that reason.

Conclusion

I have been very impressed with the Genesis Power battery packs both in my planes and during the bench testing. I plan to do some more testing and buy more of these packs in the future. The performance and the very reasonable price both appeal to me. I also like what I perceive as added security in maintaining radio contact with my BEC equipped planes by using packs with a higher C rating and these have an honest high C rating.

I am concerned about the size of the connector on the six cell pack, and I will test it further as it strikes me as small for the Amps that goes through it.

Michael McDougall's Review

Genesis Power 65C 4-cell 2,800mAh Battery Pack

mAhs:2,800
Test Aircraft:Horizon Hobby, E-flite Pogo LR-1A
Price:$45.00

When Mike Heer contacted me about the new Genesis Power 65C batteries, I immediately thought about my EF-1 racers. Racing is a very harsh environment for Lipo batteries. If a manufacturer's batteries can withstand the punishment of the high current discharge rates and high G forces experienced during a race, they can withstand anything.

Racers are always searching for an advantage, and Electric Formula 1 Racers are no exception. Batteries in this class are limited to a maximum weight of 325 grams. 4-cell Lipo batteries are the norm because 1250 kV motors and APC 8x8E props are required. The Holy Grail for EF-1 racing would be a maximum mAh capacity battery with the highest possible C rating weighing less than 325 grams. Presently, the best in class batteries are 2500 to 2700 mah packs with a 65C discharge rating. They perform very well, but the best are in the $100 each price range.

The new Genesis Power 2800 mah 65C packs would seem well suited for this application with their 316 gram weight and less than $50 each price point. Let's see how they hold up to the harsh reality of EF-1 racing duty.

First Impressions

Fresh out of the factory wrapper, each battery was checked for individual battery cell voltage and overall pack balance. Each pack was received with a proper storage voltage level on each cell and within each pack, all the cells were within .02 volt of each other. The packs appeared to be well constructed and each pack had a pre-installed "T-style" power connector and a JST-XH balance connector.

Charging and Break-in

Before I ever fly any new racing packs, I carefully cycle them through several Charge/Discharge cycles. This process is sometimes referred to as "Breaking In" the packs. All my charging is done with a Thunder Power TP820CD battery charger set for Lipo balance charge. Discharge is done with a resistive load consisting of a series of under counter lights. Packs are discharged for 2000 mah and then recharged to a storage voltage of 3.85 volts per cell.

My usual process is to charge each pack at a 1C rate and then discharge each pack at a 1C rate. Next is a 1C charge and a 2C discharge. Third is another 1C charge and 2C discharge. Fourth is a 1C charge and a 10C discharge. Now the packs should be ready to race.

Initial Testing

My first test was to compare the Genesis Power 65C packs with two of my standard 4-cell racing packs. The first was a 2250 mah 30C pack and the second was a 2650 mah 35C pack. I put each pack in my Pogo racer and ran them on the ground for 10 seconds and took my data. I then flew the Pogo for 60 seconds at full bore and then landed and again took my data. I recorded current draw and RPM. The first test should show if there is an initial surface charge burn off and the second test should show how much is left in the battery after 8 laps of racing. Most racing packs show some signs of dropping off during the last two laps of a race. Only the best batteries can continue to put out full power for the full 10 laps of racing.

Initial Startup
30C Pack 35C Pack Genesis Pack
1350 RPM 1356 RPM 1345 RPM

After 10 Seconds
1248 RPM 1280 RPM 1310 RPM
58.6 Amps 58.2 Amps 60.42 Amps

After 60 Second Race Flight
1250 RPM 1295 RPM 1329 RPM
54.1 Amps 55.2 Amps 58.9 Amps

It was very obvious that the higher C rated Genesis Power battery pack held its voltage better and produced higher RPMs at the end of the testing period.

Racing Conditions Testing

The next test was to pit the Genesis Power pack against two other 65C rated racing battery packs. I was able to enlist the help of George Parks to gather some actual in-flight racing data on three different 65C rated battery packs. The data was taken from a Castle Creations ESC in an Outrageous EF-1 racer with an OS-25 motor and an APC 8x8E prop. The data was collected on three separate flights within a 1 hour period. These test results represent the comparative performance of these three individual battery packs on the day of our testing. All three packs were cycled and properly charged and each had 3 full-power racing flights prior to our testing.

Genesis Power 2800 mAh Pack
Seconds Amps In Pack Volts Motor RPM
001 72.7 15.35 15,351
015 55.5 15.05 15,432
030 56.5 14.75 15,112
045 52.6 14.60 15,112
060 52.6 14.45 14,957
075 51.7 14.30 14,805
090 53.6 14.16 14,583
105 52.6 14.16 14,583

Nano-Tech 2700 mAh Pack
001 72.7 15.50 15,514
015 57.4 15.05 15,432
030 52.6 14.90 15,432
045 55.5 14.60 15,034
060 52.6 14.45 14,957
075 54.6 14.30 14,731
090 53.6 14.16 14,657
105 52.6 14.16 14,583

Thunder Power 2700 mAh Pack
001 70.8 15.20 15,270
015 57.4 14.60 14,957
030 54.6 14.45 14,881
045 56.5 14.30 14,583
060 49.8 14.16 14,881
075 49.8 14.16 14,657
090 51.7 14.01 14,439
105 51.7 13.86 14,368

Genesis Power Pack is Center Trace
Genesis Power Pack is Center Trace

Conclusions

The Genesis Power battery pack tested very well against the two best 65C EF-1 racing battery packs available today.

Pluses

• Qualifies as an EF-1 legal battery pack
  • Well made and well packaged
  • Honest 65C rating
  • Very competitive pricing

Minuses

• T Plug Ultra connector is not a genuine Deans Ultra connector

Chris Mulcahy's Review

Given the opportunity to review some new batteries, I immediately thought of my TRex 550, which uses 6S 5000mah packs. In addition to the TRex, I also have a T-28 Trojan park flyer which, being a popular plane, seemed like a good choice to also try out a new battery.

The packs arrived safe and sound, each secure its own packaging and box as illustrated above by Mike. Both packs showed about a half charge when hooked up to a meter, and all cells gave good readings. The first thing a noticed was the fact that there are deans ultra style connectors already installed. Although the connectors appeared to be a very good copy of the deans ultra connector, they were a little more translucent, however they appeared to be a snug fit and I didn't encounter any problems throughout testing.

I go a little against the grain as far as any break in procedures go. I initially charge the battery at 1C, and run it in the aircraft it is intended for. I guess you could say I break in the pack in the air! After a few initial flights I will bump up the charge rate. With my 5000mAh packs I use an iCharger, which can only put out 10 amps at a time. For a 5000mAh pack this translates into a 2C charge rate. Even though the Genesis packs can accepts a much higher charge rate, I have never found myself in such a rush that a 20 minute or so charge time at 2C wasn't sufficient. The videos linked below each demonstrate the aircraft with my previous packs, followed by similar flights with the Genesis Power packs.

Genesis Power 65C 3-cell 2200mAh Battery Pack

Number of Cells in Pack:3
mAhs:2200
Voltage:11.1Volts
Test Aircraft:ParkZone T-28 Trojan
Price:$27.00

I started with the 2200mAh pack in the T-28. As mentioned previously, the first charge on the pack was at 1C with subsequent charges at 2C. I used my existing packs as bench marks to test against. These packs are popular brands that are widely used, and although I don't mention them by name you can probably guess what they are. These existing batteries have the same capacity as the Genesis pack, but only have a 25C rating. Naturally I was expecting to see a difference as a result of the jump from 25C to 65C. The Genesis Power pack was about the same physical size as the pack I was already using, and fit into the T-28 perfectly. I flew a couple of flights back to back, alternating packs to get an idea of the difference.

Youtube link.

I found that after each flight the Genesis pack was remaining extremely cool, despite the fact I was flying at full throttle most of the time. I did notice an increase in power output, but I feel that the airframe itself wasn't conducive to really showing what the pack could do. After numerous five minute flights, I was putting on average 1232mAh back into the pack.

I also tried the same pack in an "almost" 2m electric powered sailplane, the Wanderer. I quickly realized that there wasn't any useful data to be had from this test, as most of the flying was done without the use of the motor. However, I did find the climbs to be a little bit stronger than my previous packs.

All in all I found the Genesis pack to do exactly what it was supposed to do, there was no overheating, no signs of puffing packs, and all the connectors functioned the way they were supposed to. These new Genesis Power packs will be at the top of my list when shopping for LiPos in the future!

Genesis Power 65C 6-cell 5,000mAh Battery Pack

Number of Cells in Pack:6
Voltage:22.2Volts
Test Aircraft:T-Rex 550E V2 3GX
Price:$125.00

The T-Rex 550 requires a 5000mAh 6S pack, and previously I had been using 40C packs. This heli would be a good test to see how the Genesis Power pack performed, as the T-Rex runs at its max power output for 90% of the flight.

When first comparing the 6S packs, I became a little concerned as the Genesis pack was a little longer than my old packs, and I was worried that they might not fit under the T-Rex canopy. As it turned out, the Genesis pack fit perfectly under the canopy. I noticed that the Genesis pack was also a little heavier, and was curious to see if the higher C rating would offset the slightly heavier weight.

Youtube link.

As predicted, the difference between packs on the T-Rex was very apparent. With my old packs I was able to bog the motor down during extreme collective maneuvers. This basically manifested itself in the form of less power and a lower sound pitch from the helicopter as the RPMs decreased. With the Genesis pack I found much more consistent RPM no matter what I did with the collective. In addition, the T-Rex had much more "pop" when doing fast climb outs. It accelerated much faster and didn't show any signs of slowing through out the entire five and a half minute flights.

After each flight the Genesis pack came down relatively cool, just slightly warm to the touch. After several flights the pack was putting back about 3444mAh, which has now got me thinking about increasing my timer to at least six minutes. I was very impressed with this pack, and will be picking up a few more for future projects. Only time will show the durability of these packs, and I'll be monitoring them closely, however so far they are off to a very promising start!

Michael Heer's Review

For my portion of this review I reviewed five battery packs with four different aircraft. In preparation for this review, I reviewed the material I have collected discussing the care and operation of LiPo battery packs. My materials may be a bit outdated but according to them there are only a few things one can do to test the accuracy of the claimed C number and in this case that number is 65C for all battery packs involved. There are ways to check if the cells are balanced, the claimed Voltage and the mAh stored in a battery pack. However, even using a Watt Meter you can only read what the motor is drawing and if the motor is not drawing at least close to the 65Cs rated there is not much else one can objectively monitor. One can examine the battery pack while or immediately after discharging or being charged to determine if it is cool, warm or hot and from there judge in part if the pack is performing well or not. Accordingly, I am most hopeful of truly testing the 3-cell 450 mAh pack as I can, after a break in period, charge it at 8C. The bigger the battery pack the harder for me to objectively verify how well it is working or if I am really testing its capacity, but I will do the best I can.

Genesis Power 65C 3-cell 450mAh Battery Pack

Connector Discharge: JST
mAhs:450
Test Aircraft:Multiplex Merlin
Price:$11.00

This pack arrived with an average charge of 3.8 Volts per cell and standard storage voltage per my understanding for LiPos should be 3.70 to 3.85 per cell. The Voltage therefore was appropriate for storage and the initial charge balance of the three cells was perfect with all three cells charged individually at 3.80 Volts. I charged the pack for the first two charges at 1C, 450mAhs. I discharged the battery pack by flying my Multiplex Merlin using the pack.

For the third charge, I charged the pack at 4C, 1800mAhs. This is the first time I had ever charged a pack at 4C so I took extra precautions and charged it outside on my patio in my ceramic charging container. I monitored the charge time and the charging process. I felt the battery pack to make sure it was not getting hot and it did not get hot. Everything went smoothly during the process. As in the first two charges the voltage on the charger was set at 11.1 Volts. The starting Voltage per cell was 3.32, 3.34, 3.34 and the voltage after the charge was 4.11, 4.13, 4.11.

The Merlin has been previously powered with a Thunder Power 11.1V 450mAh 45C battery pack which has always performed well. In operation with the new Genesis Power 11.1V 450mAh battery pack I saw no difference in the performance of the Merlin. She is a fast little plane with either pack and yet is capable of catching a thermal in the hands of an experienced sailplane pilot most nice days. The Genesis Power pack had the higher C rating at 65 C but a price of only $11.00 with the connectors installed. After the third flight with the Genesis Power pack it was time to try for an 8C charge. I connected my e-station BD Charger to a large 12 Volt battery in my wife's van and programmed the charger for 11.1 Volts and 3600 mAh. (450 x 8 =3600). Again, I was outside and using my ceramic battery bunker for this charge. As with charging at 4C the battery and wires remained cool to the touch throughout the charge at 8C. The charge was completely uneventful but very fast. Over 90% of the charge was completed in six minutes. My charger then started slowing down from charging at 3.6 Amps to 3.5, 3.4 etc. The pack was fully charged 6 minutes 20 seconds later or 12 minutes 20 seconds after starting. In most situations I would have grabbed the pack and started flying after six minutes of charging if I didn't have another battery handy and ready to go.

Most of my flights with the Merlin are motor on and then off to glide. A few high speed runs and fast climbs mixed in for excitement. For the fourth flight with each battery pack I ran the motor full speed until the motor sounded to be slowing down. Both flights started with everything cool to the touch. After these flights the wires to the ESC were very warm to the touch as was the foam on the outside of the motor. The wires were slightly warmer with the Genesis Power Battery than they had been with the Thunder Power pack. Both the Genesis Power and the Thunder Power packs were only slightly warm and I attribute the warmth to the basically sealed fuselage and lack of much cooling air. Both packs and the Merlin performed well.

Genesis Power 65C 2-cell 850mAh Battery Pack

Number of Cells in Pack:2 cells
Connector Discharge: JST
mAhs:850
Voltage:7.4Volts
Test Aircraft:HeliMax Novus 200 Helicopter
Price:$8.00

I was just finishing my review of the HeliMax Novus 200 helicopter when this project came to my attention. I knew we had several reviewers interested in reviewing three, four and six cell packs and I thought a two cell pack should be tested and reviewed as well. The Novus came with a two cell 7.4 Volt 1,000 mAh battery pack and I found it very enjoyable to fly but it took 90 minutes or more to recharge the battery pack when depleted. I thought it would be nice to have a second battery for the helicopter and one that I could charge considerably quicker to get her back in the air ASAP at indoor flying events. I didn't expect the brushed motor to be much of a test in drawing power from the cell but recharging this 850mAh Genesis Power 65C Power pack as quickly as possible should be an interesting test. My chargers have limited amperage so this is probably the largest battery pack I can seriously test in following up to charging the above discussed 450mAh pack.

This pack also arrived with an average charge of 3.8 Volts per cell, within the standard storage Voltage for storage. The balance between the cells was within .01 which is excellent at 3.80 and 3.81 for the two cells. I charged the pack for the first two charges at 1C, .850mAhs. Using my e-station BC-8 charger with the balance connector and the JST connector the charger stopped with both cells charged to 4.13 Volts.

My third charge of this battery pack was using a deep cycle 12 Volt battery to power my charger and the the voltage was set for 7.4 volts at 3400mAhs which is 4C (850 x 4 = 3400). As with the 450mAh pack discussed above I closely monitored the charge and checked the battery for warmth several times during the charge and it and its wires remained cool to the touch and the charge was uneventful. The battery while not fully charged was ready to use after 11 minutes.

I have flown the Novus 200 five times with the Genesis Power battery pack and another five times with the battery pack that came with the Novus 200 as part of this review. That pack is listed as having an additional 150 mAh at 1,000 mAh vs. the Genesis Power 850 mAhs. I have noticed no difference in the performance of the helicopter with the different battery packs other than I get a little more flight time with the original pack and the original pack shows it is running out of juice for a longer period then the Genesis Power pack which appears to have near full power until just before the pack runs out of juice.

Genesis Power 65C 3-cell 2200mAh Battery Pack

This size battery pack is the size I use most frequently as I have a large number of planes and a few electric sailplanes that operate with this size battery. Officially I am using it in my Electrifly Super Stearman but it has been run through my Electrifly Gee Bee R-2 Racer as well.

mAhs:2200
Test Aircraft:Electrifly Super Stearman
Price:$27.00

This pack arrived with an average charge of 3.81 Volts per cell, standard storage voltage for LiPo battery packs. The Voltage therefore was appropriate for storage and the initial charge balance of the three cells was perfect with all three cells charged individually at 3.81 Volts. I charged the pack for the first two charges at 1C, 2200mAhs.

For this review I had four flights with my Electrifly Super Stearman plane with the Genesis Power 11.1V 2200mAh Battery pack. With all four flights the plane had excellent power until the very end of the battery pack charge on flight three. I cannot honestly say that I noticed a difference in the power during the first 4/5s of the pack's charge on any of these flights compared with the original 25C pack but during the very last part of the flights I noticed that until the last 30 seconds of the flight I had power to do all aerobatics that I could do with a fresh pack and at pretty much the same speed . I noticed no slow down on the motor by sight or motor sound until the last 30 seconds which let me know it was time to land and land soon. For the third charge I connected the charger to a large fully charged 12 Volt battery and charged the pack at 2C or 4400mAh. The pack did not get warm or show signs of anything being different other than it charged in close to half the time. For my fourth charge I was able to charge the pack with my friends charger at 4C+ 9,000mAh. Again the pack remained the same temp during the charge all the way to the very end of the charge. The only noticeable difference is that it only took about 17 minutes to recharge the depleted battery back to 90% plus charged and I was ready for a fifth flight. This time I used the battery pack in my new Electrifly Gee Bee R-1 racer. I got a spirited flight of thirteen minutes and then landed as a precaution. In checking the pack I could have flown a couple more minutes. There was never any hesitation in the five flights about supplying power to the plane. This time I charged the battery pack up to a storage level at 2C.

2 Genesis Power 65C 4-cell 5,000mAh Battery Packs

Using my Hangar 9, 1/4 Scale Cub gave me a chance to test these battery packs powering an E-flite 110 motor using one pack and using two packs wired in parallel. As described at the start of this report the Genesis Power packs are internally wired in series. Two cells wired in series doubles the voltage from 3.7 Volts to 7.4 Volts. When I connected these two battery packs together in parallel the voltage remained in the 14.8 Volts range but the available mAh doubled from 5,000 to 10,000 mAhs. Thereby doubling the potential flight time. It also reduced the strain of the draw if there had been only one battery pack which was a major concern with battery packs with a lower C rating such as 20C. These packs had no problem individually with the amperage draw using one pack by itself during a bench test but all flying was done with two packs in the plane for weight requirements and safety.

Test Aircraft:Horizon Hobby, Hangar 9 1/4 Scale Cub
Price:$84.00 (times 2)

Both of these packs arrived with an average charge of 3.81 Volts per cell, again within the standard voltage for storage. The cells were all at 3.81 Volts per cell. Excellent! I could only charge these packs at 1/2C for the first charge as the small converter I had for my charger at work could only supply a steady 2500mAhs. If I tried to charge at 3000 mAhs there would be dips in power and the charger would stop and its alarm would go off. For good or bad I was at work and there was no hurry for these first charges on these battery packs. This limitation in my equipment shows some of the difficulty in putting the higher mAh packs to a true test. On the first battery pack my e-station BC-8 charger stopped with an average Voltage for the pack per meter of 4.13 Volts. The individual cells had two at 4.14 Volts and two at 4.13 Volts. The second pack had three at 4.13 and one at 4.14.

To use these battery packs in my 1/4 scale Hangar 9 Cub I had to create a new Y harness using male Dean connectors that would connect with the T-plug Ultra connectors. I used a very different connector that would match up with the connector on my Castle speed controller. I call them giant Sermos connectors but they are known by different names including large Anderson connectors. My harness is connecting the battery packs in parallel which leaves the voltage in the 14.8 volts range but doubled the mAhs to 10,000 allowing for longer flight times and the batteries sharing the power draw from the speed controller.

In actual operation in the Cub these battery packs were lighter then those they replaced and I had to add weight to the firewall to properly balance my Cub. The battery packs supplied plenty of power as the Cub virtually leaped into the air after about a ten foot runway run at full power. I dialed it down on later takeoffs and made some very scale takeoffs and landings. The packs supplied over a half hour of spirited flight at mixed throttle settings on one charge and had power for at least another ten minutes of flight time.

My Cub didn't give much of a challenge to these battery packs in discharge and my charges couldn't really challenge them in charging. All I can really say is subjectively they worked perfectly in powering my Cub. They were never even warm from charging or operation. I hope to give them more of a challenge with a jet I hope to get this summer.

Conclusion

It is certain that Dick Andersen, Michael McDougall, Chris Mulcahy and I had great success with the packs we reviewed and tested. Dick opened my eyes to the importance that high C packs could play in preventing possible brown outs in some receivers or low voltage to the receiver problems in general when operating planes with BECs. Operating a plane with multiple motors or a number of servos has been known to strain some Battery Elimination Circuitry but sometimes the problem isn't with the circuitry but with a real but momentary drop in voltage with the battery pack. I believe that this is far less likely to happen when using a quality pack with an honest high C rating as they are designed to supply the voltage at a high rate and are therefore less likely to have the momentary voltage dip that can cause loss of radio control. A little bit of extra security when using the Genesis Power 65C vs a 20-30C pack in a particular plane.

I personally was pleased to be able to charge a battery pack for my helicopter in about ten minutes vs an hour plus. I want to again point out the fact that the batteries remained cool in this testing process. Heat is a killer of LiPos and is the easiest indicator to use to spot a potential problem. It is a significant plus for these batteries that they generally remained cool and at most only got a little warm and never hot. I bought four more of these packs for my own use for my Heer Force at the RCX show and will be looking for a new high Amp charger to use with my bigger packs later this year. I think Michael McDougall covered the Pluses and Minuses pretty well but I have a couple minor changes.

Pluses

• Nice assortment of sizes, voltage and mAhs
  • Well made and well packaged
  • Honest 65C rating
  • Very competitive pricing
  • Batteries stayed cool

Minuses

• T Plug Ultra connector is not a genuine Deans Ultra connector

I want to thank Banana Hobby for supplying the Genesis Power packs for us to test and review. I want to thank my fellow reviewers: Dick Andersen, Michael McDougall and Chris Mulcahy for participating with me in this review.

FREE CONTEST FROM BANANA HOBBY

Banana Hobby and Genesis Power want to thank you for your time in reading this review and considering their new batteries.To thank you they are giving 20 of the first 200 people who post here a chance to win a free Genesis Power Programmable Brushless ESC, another brand new product that will be arriving in the first half of May and will be shipped to the 20 random winners. Contest rules: To enter, post here in the comments section fof this article. You are free to comment on the article or not, but you need to post your name. The winners will be sent a PM (Private Message) requesting their address so the prize can be shipped. Your name and address will not be used for any other purpose. ONLY POST ONCE in the first 200 posts or you will be eliminated. (You can edit your post if you have to say more before we get to 200 posts.) Contest open to RCGroups.com members, only and we must be able to reach you via RCGroups.com PM. If a winner does not respond to PM in seven days the person who posts after the person originally selected will be deemed the winner. To see the new ESCs, click on the link below.

> Genesis Power Electronic speed controls. > http://www.bananahobby.com/programmable-esc-genesis-power-programmable-brushless-esc.html

Last edited by Angela H; May 08, 2012 at 09:37 AM..

Discussion

Old May 08, 2012, 10:29 AM
United States, OH, Youngstown
Joined Nov 2004
593 Posts
Excellent reviews - The multi-user approach covers it all, parkflyers, helis 450 mah to 5ah ..perfect. The batteries look really good for price and performance! How bout a 50 cycle follow up?

Just bought some 55c now i want to change my order I can just call BH?

What ESCs are being given for the contest?
RedLine19k is offline Find More Posts by RedLine19k
Old May 08, 2012, 10:30 AM
United States, OH, Youngstown
Joined Nov 2004
593 Posts
hey, are posts disabled? mine got eaten!

nvm, board is just slow. DQ'd on a technicality :/

Delete this post if possible.
RedLine19k is offline Find More Posts by RedLine19k
Last edited by RedLine19k; May 08, 2012 at 10:37 AM. Reason: disappointment
Old May 08, 2012, 10:30 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Nov 2003
2,116 Posts
Could you guys post some IR's of the battery packs?

Oh for the free ESC,

Steven Carroll
Shortman is offline Find More Posts by Shortman
Old May 08, 2012, 11:04 AM
Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
449 Posts
Nice detailed reviews

Would also like to know the cell IR's

Scott Cruse
Australia
crusey_aus is offline Find More Posts by crusey_aus
Old May 08, 2012, 11:08 AM
USA, NH, Center Ossipee
Joined Apr 2010
87 Posts
Great looking Batteries with lots of umph! I just received a new plane today and will try out the 5s 2800mAh pack.
Robert Dooley
rabdooley is offline Find More Posts by rabdooley
Old May 08, 2012, 11:23 AM
United States, VA, Berryville
Joined May 2010
363 Posts
The 6s 3300 looks like it would be nice to try in my 60" Edge. Kelly Brondstater
kellyzo6 is offline Find More Posts by kellyzo6
Old May 08, 2012, 11:45 AM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
9,864 Posts
ok i will take one if i win one 4s that fits in the ef-1 racer
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: very fun FPV
Old May 08, 2012, 12:17 PM
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
1,635 Posts
I could not find any detail on the Thunder Power 2700 mAh Pack used for the comparison (also with the Nanotechs) in the table. Which TP model was it and had it a comparable number of prior charges? Thx

D. Maladorno
DMala is offline Find More Posts by DMala
Last edited by DMala; May 08, 2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old May 08, 2012, 12:32 PM
USA, WA, Renton
Joined Jun 2000
18 Posts
I didn't see in the warrant info if it would be voided by changing to real Deans connectors?
dcrcr is offline Find More Posts by dcrcr
Old May 08, 2012, 12:49 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,340 Posts
I just might have to order me up some of these little packs for my Radians. I like the high C-ratings.

Andy Grose
dee-grose is offline Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2012, 12:51 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortman View Post
Could you guys post some IR's of the battery packs?
Could not agree more. A lot of qualitative mumbo-jumbo gives the modeler little information that will allow him to make a meaningful comparison to other packs.

Accurate internal resistance data or loaded discharge curves would be infinitely more helpful.

Perhaps the data could even be entered into the Lipoly performance database?

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2012, 01:05 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
7,884 Posts
I would like to win one for my new plane that I got. You know who I am
Mike Baltes
Mikemynameis is online now Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old May 08, 2012, 01:13 PM
L.I. NY
Joined Dec 2006
243 Posts
Like the warranty. Gary
fly20 is online now Find More Posts by fly20
Old May 08, 2012, 01:59 PM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
9,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
Could not agree more. A lot of qualitative mumbo-jumbo gives the modeler little information that will allow him to make a meaningful comparison to other packs.

Accurate internal resistance data or loaded discharge curves would be infinitely more helpful.

Perhaps the data could even be entered into the Lipoly performance database?

Mark
wow good read hurts my head, but in a good way
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: very fun FPV