HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2012, 07:24 PM
Mtn Home, Idaho
Joined Feb 2010
443 Posts
i was looking at the smaller 2cell lipos aswell, i rarely fly enough to make use of my 2200 2 cell helicopter battery. i fly this with with 7100r reciever with a built in regulator and have been torture testing 3 align ds610s at 8.4 volts. 5 gallons of fuel now and still going strong even though there rated for 6 volts.

i have logging on the helicopter and have seen volt draw down to 7 volts under a hard load so at times im only running 1volt over the rated 6.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

ill be running my plane with cc bec pro and 2 cell lipo ill set the voltage regulator at 6 volts . i dont know how much the rx system draw on plane but with my helicopter i was having brown outs untill going to voltage regulator. i was drawing more then the system could supply. the cc bec por has tow power leads that plug into the rx and i think are rated to 1.5amps on each connector.
id imagine with 4 digital servos the system isnt drawing quite as much as my helicopter with 5 digital servos.

i guess ill be running 4 servos on the plane.the spectrumn logging realy is cool, you can load a servo with your hand and watch the reaction on the logging. probly most likly overkil but i already have it so. what the heck. im going to run ar8000 on the plane and might monitor the rx system just for kicks.

about the lipos catching in fire or exploding. ive done alot of helicopter crashing hardcore kinda crashes and only had to burry one lipo in the garden because i got home it it started smokeing.
Evan03 is offline Find More Posts by Evan03
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:24 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,939 Posts
And I've had to bury zero Nickel batteries in the garden.
ChillPhatCat is online now Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:55 PM
Mtn Home, Idaho
Joined Feb 2010
443 Posts
Lol.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:56 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,275 Posts
Your fine. Use the Lipos.
1320fastback is online now Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Mar 22, 2012, 08:22 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech05 View Post
H and H ...and a whole generation lost the ability to read a clock.....
Ahh youth can't count back change, or do math with a pencil and paper....
I'll tell on myself here.....first job was at Mickey D's we wrote the order, added the total on the order pad....added the tax on the order pad.....took the money counted back the change....filled the order and could still do over a 100 bucks in an hour when burgers were 29 cents
THANK YOU! for just a moment I thought maybe receivers were coming without battery packs..My (our) generation didn't HAVE to change everything to something else as soon as we got it! In fact,we knew so little about radios,we were afraid to try anything else! "my dog's better than your dog-" geez-go fly!
And me and Tom ate lots of those burgers!!!
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just thinking out loud
Old Mar 22, 2012, 09:38 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,186 Posts
I like the changes don't get me wrong....I run LiIons in my gassers..... use 2.4 Ghz.....I really like the changes in batteries......
The changes only bother me when the technology fails and no one knows how to function.....
Good Flying to all
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:35 PM
Mtn Home, Idaho
Joined Feb 2010
443 Posts
I know I'm fine. Don't plan to touch another nihm ever.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 08:47 PM
LI, NY,
Joined Oct 2008
1,964 Posts
I use 1300mah lipo's in my glow planes with a BEC. They cost 6 bucks so I have enough of them charged that I never have to worry about charging at the field. I'll fly with same battery for a very long time,10 fights easy, before I have to change it or charge it.

If I leave a plane sit for a few weeks I know the lipo will hold it's charge.

I have been flying for 4 years now and have never seen a lipo catch fire. They can but I've never seen it.

It is easier to take the lipo out of the plane and bring it to my charger then bring my plane to the charger.

The BEC and lipo do not weigh more then a nicad pack.

I've never seen a BEC fail yet. At least not a seperate switching BEC.

I've used nicads and have had them go dead in flight.

Lipo's for me...or life batteries.
reacher10 is offline Find More Posts by reacher10
Old Mar 24, 2012, 02:35 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,979 Posts
I have a 10-15 year old 500 mah nicad in my Escapade. Been flying it that way for 2 years with 200+ flights. One of the gear-heads at the field basically told me told me it can't work and no nicads will last more than 5 years. I can't argue with that so I guess I'll keep flying my Escape with it's fictitious battery.
DreamArcher is offline Find More Posts by DreamArcher
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:37 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamArcher View Post
I have a 10-15 year old 500 mah nicad in my Escapade. Been flying it that way for 2 years with 200+ flights. One of the gear-heads at the field basically told me told me it can't work and no nicads will last more than 5 years. I can't argue with that so I guess I'll keep flying my Escape with it's fictitious battery.
He's prolly the same guy that says you can't fly a flat bottom wing inverted.I don't care what you fly,I care that they say you're doing it wrong!! OP asked what size battery? and two guys said 'supplied'! Everybody else has a "better" one!
My question-How can I fly Ni-cads for 6 years and still be happy? Because I don't force feed them with a $200.00 charger,in fact I don't force feed them at all.The factory supplied charger gently refills a low battery and I gently drain it.I don't push everything to the 'edge' as it seems necessary for them to do.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Mar 25, 2012 at 05:39 AM. Reason: clarification
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:02 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan03 View Post
i use 2200 turnigy lipos on my helicopter, planning the same for my plank.

ive messed with a few nimh and never again lipo in the my opion is the way to go. us young guys are doing lipos and the old rusty dogs are stuck in the past. just kidding. they do all work.
Evan03,

Education is a nice attribute to have for young people.

You will become an "old rusty dog" sooner than you might think.

Try to find a better way to do your kidding.
Someone had to have the guts to tell you.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:40 AM
Joined Apr 2008
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
He's prolly the same guy that says you can't fly a flat bottom wing inverted.I don't care what you fly,I care that they say you're doing it wrong!! OP asked what size battery? and two guys said 'supplied'! Everybody else has a "better" one!
My question-How can I fly Ni-cads for 6 years and still be happy? Because I don't force feed them with a $200.00 charger,in fact I don't force feed them at all.The factory supplied charger gently refills a low battery and I gently drain it.I don't push everything to the 'edge' as it seems necessary for them to do.
I use the factory charger as well.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 05:56 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,430 Posts
NIMH and NICD can be fast charged (15mins as one poster stated) but shouldn't be... slower is much better for long life. I use Lipos b/c I got tired of starting the charging process the night before... sometimes I didnt make it home in time, etc etc..

EpoxyEarl... the law of averages and mean time between failures always has it's exceptions.. hence the avg and mean terms. I have lightbulbs in all 3 bathrooms that have worked since I bought the house.. 21 years ago. Two bathrooms get used everyday and often. Go figure..
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:11 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamArcher View Post
I use the factory charger as well.
I also use the factory supplied charger and I can explain why and what are its advantages.

Anyone can ask why and I can explain.
They also are the lowest cost chargers.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:43 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,979 Posts
I probably don't know all the pros and cons of the factory charge but there's really only one I care about. 1) It works for me.