Predator III Building Thread

hello,

as I could'nt find any information on this glider, I will start a build thread

weight of each piece:
- fuselage without ballast tube: 200g
- ballast tube: 30g
- double carbon F3F wings: 700g each
- tail feathers: 49g and 48g

first, ballast tube swap for one of my own building to receive my 2.1kg Alliaj tungstene ballast:

I made a servo tray with 2mm plywood that I glued in place with cyano.

put some glass fiber fabric on top and sides of the fuse to stay in place: this solution is light and virtually indestructible.

after trimming the sides of the fuselage, let's make all this a bit lighter.

some may wonder why I do it once the fabric is laid on: If I shape the servo tray before, it is very hard to get the fiberglass to stick to the side of the fuse at the back of the tray where there is a big hole. it is also way easier to cut at the right shape!

here we go:

now a bit of sanding with miss Dremel:

and fine sanding, with sanding paper:

servo tray is finished:

Cedric,
ced_toulouse is offline Find More Posts by ced_toulouse
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ced_toulouse; Apr 05, 2012 at 01:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:24 PM
Joined Apr 2011
99 Posts
Thanks for sharing, and hope more people to share their building experience.
olerc is offline Find More Posts by olerc
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: DG600 from RCRCM
Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:32 PM
Joined Apr 2011
99 Posts
http://www.barcs.co.uk/forum/f3f-f3b/p3, a link about P3.
olerc is offline Find More Posts by olerc
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: DG600 from RCRCM
Old Apr 05, 2012, 02:56 AM
Joined Sep 2007
287 Posts
hello! coming back to finish the building thread about the fuselage

the wiring is delivered already soldered, and there is is a shoulder on the fuse to glue the MPX plug on: in this case I only put a bit of cyano on the outside, around the plug to keep the plug in place ( the cyano just goes in between the plug and the fuse on its own:

to make sure it won't unglue, a bit of epoxy on the wires does the job perfectly: the fuse is now between the plug on the outside, and epoxy attached to the wire on the inside: the plug won't move, even the cyano was to break.

for the controls, I used the provided carbon Rod, but added this little thing that is very light and easy to assemble:

once glued:

for better precision of the elevator, I always make sure the rod can't flex: with this fuse, I used a EPP block:

I put it in the middle of the tail boom:

there is only the ballast tube left to glue, and the fuselage is completely finished: I usually do that after the first flights, in order to put it exactly at the CG.

to start with, I will balance the the glider at 110mm: to do so I only need a 100g of lead, which is really not a lot considering the tail feathers aren't the lightest on the market.

Cedric,
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ced_toulouse; Apr 05, 2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 01:57 PM
Joined Sep 2007
287 Posts
the wings:
there isn't much to do there as the wiring is already provided, and the control horn in position.

to make sure the wiring doesn't get lots in the wing, I always glue it to the root of wing: her is the technique I use:
I take a bit of plywood that is just thick enough to go under the plug when in the wing, and cut it to the width of the plug:

then I glue the plywood in the wing with epoxy:

then I put the wiring in the wing, a bit of epoxy with micro ballon on the plywood and the wires right behind the plug, plug the plug to the fuselage plug and slide the wing into place. I live it to harden for 24h in this position:

it come out like this after a bit sending of the micro ballon around the plug: usually if there is some micro ballon on the fuselage or at the root of the wing, it unstick easely with a cutter blade as there is still wax from the mouding process :-)

if you are scared for the wing or fuselage, just wax it again, or use cello tape around each plug.

then you just do the same with the other wing. this way of gluing is really rock solid, and very usefull when you have ballast in the wing, as you don't have to look for the plugs in the wings (I saw that in competition with last minute ballast change...)

Cedric,

PS: when there isn't any shoulder on the fuselage for the plug, I use the same method, with a piece of plywood glued to the top of the fuselage between the two plug holes.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ced_toulouse; Apr 09, 2012 at 04:31 AM.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 03:50 AM
Joined Sep 2007
287 Posts
here is a video flying in La muela, Spain.

it was loaded with 1kg of ballast

I didn't have much time to tune it as I first flew it last week...but I will put my setting in this Thread, as soon as I feel I reached a very good set.

predator - la muela.mp4 (1 min 34 sec)

I finished 7th of the contest with my predator

Cedric,
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ced_toulouse; Apr 10, 2012 at 03:54 AM.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 05:13 AM
Joined Sep 2007
287 Posts
wing finishing

I used some KST servos to have a try, and MKS servo frames:

I didn't use the provided servo covers, as the bump was too big for my needs:
I made a flat one for the flap tray:

and used some servo covers I had in a corner for quite a long time:

I moved the control horns backward so that they come on top of the hinge, in order to get better deflection:
flaps:
ailerons:

when I started setting up the flaps and ailerons, I noticed the wipers tended to move above the wing skin, and block the flap in down position: I added cello tape on the wipers to make the wiper a bit longer, so that they remain under the wing skin. it works great!

here it is ready for flight!

Cedric,
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Ojective: TAIWAN!!
Old Apr 11, 2012, 02:40 PM
Spain, AL, Malaga
Joined Dec 2011
7 Posts
Thanks for posting your build log for the Predator III. I am at the moment building a Predator II, and this is my first post on RC-Groups. Also I live in Spain - more exactly Malaga, and Thomas a friend of mine went to compete in La Muela. I think he got a 23'th place.
I have decided to take the G10 horns out, and replace them in better position with MPX ring horns. Also, I am using MKS 6125minis for flaps and ailerons. In the fuselage I have decided on using MKS 6188. I will be using Bowden Cables for the 'V'. It will still take some time before I maden her, but I am very exited. I am slowly getting back into RC gliders after some 30 some years away from the hobby - boy, has it changed.

Thanks for all the good information that I have found in many posts from this site.

Jens Chr.
JCSAstro is offline Find More Posts by JCSAstro
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:51 AM
Joined Sep 2007
287 Posts
Hello,

don't hesitate if you have any question on your build.

Cedric,

PS: thanks for posting, I was starting to feel lonely!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:30 AM
Joined Sep 2007
206 Posts
Hi Cedric!

If I understood you right, you participated at the eastern cup at La Muela in Spain with the P3. I see at Pierre Rondels page planet-soaring that you (if it were you) flew the P3 and a Fosa in the results list.

Then my question is, do the P3 come near the Fosa while flying F3F?

I have a PII and P3, awaiting my new Pike Precision in may/june, but still I am longing after a Fosa Lift, maybe the most beautiful plane out there, that I desire, mostly for looks and elegance, and secondly, I do not think it flies bad either.

But I hope to use my Predators, when attending to scary slopes, and that they will be with as second planes, able to achieve respectable times.

But after all, in the end, it may very well come back to whom owns the thumbs behind the sticks rather than the plane which one are equipped with.
krvedaa is offline Find More Posts by krvedaa
Old Apr 13, 2012, 05:21 AM
Joined Sep 2007
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krvedaa View Post
Hi Cedric!

If I understood you right, you participated at the eastern cup at La Muela in Spain with the P3. I see at Pierre Rondels page planet-soaring that you (if it were you) flew the P3 and a Fosa in the results list.

Then my question is, do the P3 come near the Fosa while flying F3F?

I have a PII and P3, awaiting my new Pike Precision in may/june, but still I am longing after a Fosa Lift, maybe the most beautiful plane out there, that I desire, mostly for looks and elegance, and secondly, I do not think it flies bad either.

But I hope to use my Predators, when attending to scary slopes, and that they will be with as second planes, able to achieve respectable times.

But after all, in the end, it may very well come back to whom owns the thumbs behind the sticks rather than the plane which one are equipped with.
Yes, I did fly the Predator on the fisrt day, and I clearly didn't feel I needed more of a plane to compete: I was 5th at the end of the day.
it is fast, stable, and rolls easily: it is not as good as a Fosa to keep track, but it is good enough until very high conditions, and very fast speed. I had no time on the Predator before the contest, so it can only go better...

I think the predator is awesome in medium to heavy condition, maybe less at ease in light condition, not as fast, but I will have to confirm this.

the Fosa, like every Baudis production, tracks incredibly well: the Fosa is very fast in medium to heavy conditions, but I was lacking ballast for it in heavy condition (only 1.300kg of brass ballast); this is solved now as I have tungstene for it (2.600kg)
I was surprised how it managed the light condition on the second day: its empty weight is 2.450kg (special version double carbon F3F), and I had 400g of ballast in 5m/s wind!

I think you can't be disappointed with the flight of either these gliders.

and don't worry about making respectable times with the predator, you can do a podium with it without any problem, I did do one 1000 with it.
bear in mind that respectable time don't only come from the glider

cedric,
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2012, 01:11 AM
Switzerland, NE, Neuchatel
Joined May 2010
4 Posts
Dear all,

I've got my PIII some days ago and have started the assembly. This thread was very useful.

Can someone give me some explanation (tips) about the way to fixe the ballast tube into the fuse. In one side, this one will easily glued on to the "servo plate", but what to do in the opposite side?

Many thanks for your help.

Alain
alainr is offline Find More Posts by alainr
Old Jun 24, 2012, 04:32 AM
Joined Sep 2007
206 Posts
Hi Alain!

I may have done this in an untraditional way with the ballast. But my tube is glued into the "floor" of the fuselage. The way was to put a stripe of epoxy mixed with micro ballons all the way on the underside of the tube, then put it into the fuse with the epoxy showing up in the canopy opening. Then when inside, I turn it carfully around and press it down with my fingers, also use the wing joiner opening, to press it down in the back.

I also used a long 22mm inside diameter tube approx. 50 cm long, which gives me 8 slugs 6 cm long. I also use the servo tray to secure the tube. The tube and the servo tray helps making the fuse becoming very strong. I now have 1960 grams with lead in brass

See following link for details:

http://www.hang.no/node/111

My Cg is at 108mm, I needed approx. 75 grams of lead in nose in my double carbon PII.

It flies well at this, and I had some nice trips last week in light conditions with it.

PII Sloping Turøy 20.06.12 (5 min 59 sec)

F3F practice PII Turøy 190612 (10 min 32 sec)
Last edited by krvedaa; Jun 24, 2012 at 04:37 AM. Reason: typo
Old Jun 24, 2012, 04:54 AM
Joined Mar 2005
420 Posts
Predator is a nice plane
Gudmund is offline Find More Posts by Gudmund
Old Jun 24, 2012, 05:03 AM
Joined Sep 2007
206 Posts
Yes, indeed Gudmund! Thank you for all the efforts bringing this nice glider into existence.
Last edited by krvedaa; Jun 24, 2012 at 05:04 AM. Reason: typo