HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2012, 06:59 AM
Norway, Akershus, Frogner
Joined Jun 2010
920 Posts
Question
How wet is too wet for a non waterproof truck?

Hey guys, i have recently gotten my first RC car, a ECX Torment.
But i am a little curious as to how much moist would be safe to drive in?
I assume wet grass is just a big no-no. But how about damp- (not soaking wet) mud/clay or sand/ gravel?

I used some hard frozen snow piles as a ramp to jump, wich seemed okey. But i don't really want to blow up the electronics on it.
Coenraad is offline Find More Posts by Coenraad
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2012, 08:55 AM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,087 Posts
Most of us use an overtray. To help keep things dry and clean. You night not have luck finding a direct bolt on, modifying something close will be your best bet. Most electronic these days are splash proof.
D_FAST is offline Find More Posts by D_FAST
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dassualt Alpha Jet
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:56 PM
Joined Jun 2010
920 Posts
Ah okey, does that not remove to much airflow so things heat up? Or is an overtray not totaly closed?
Old Mar 24, 2012, 03:19 AM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
419 Posts
sand is maybe the worst place to run an rc. unless you strip every moving part down and clean it out after every run
traxx de maxx is offline Find More Posts by traxx de maxx
Old Mar 28, 2012, 05:17 AM
Joined Jun 2010
920 Posts
Yeah i suppose sand can kill an electric motor quite fast.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 05:33 AM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
419 Posts
not to mention every bearing. Plus where there is sand there is salt water which corrodes metal much faster than fresh water.
Unless you have bought lots of sand and use it in your back yard.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 07:09 AM
Joined Jun 2010
920 Posts
Beach sand would be quite bad i suppose yeah. But i think the hard stuff would be quite fun to drive on.

Just clean the car after running on messy undergrounds and you will keep the system running for a lot longer.
Just like with any machinery/technical stuff, maintainence keeps things in good shape, without it stuff breaks down faily quick.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 03:40 PM
Outdoor Extremist
Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2010
1,006 Posts
I often bash in the sand pit that they built at a local part and when you don't clean the truck it ruins bearings, learned this lesson the hard way but sand is a lot of fun, and theres always the platidip approach to waterproofing things I havent researched that enough to decide if I am going to try that yet but another great thing is always changing out electronics
rustlererad3 is offline Find More Posts by rustlererad3
Old Apr 03, 2012, 02:03 AM
Joined Jun 2010
920 Posts
I found out how much moist it can take. Absolutely none!
My truch started to behave weird, and sudenly lost forward power. After i took it to my LHS for a check it showed that there was moist in both the ESC and the RX.

So do not use hard packed snow piles to jump over or even the slightest damp grass.

Staying far away from moist with my Torment now.

PS. i put some cloth around the engine holes, so no tiny stones or sand can get in.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 04:47 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coenraad View Post
I found out how much moist it can take. Absolutely none!
My truch started to behave weird, and sudenly lost forward power. After i took it to my LHS for a check it showed that there was moist in both the ESC and the RX.

So do not use hard packed snow piles to jump over or even the slightest damp grass.

Staying far away from moist with my Torment now.

PS. i put some cloth around the engine holes, so no tiny stones or sand can get in.
I suspect what happened is when you brought the truck back into the house the cold parts caused the water vapour in the air to condense on your electric bits, plus whatever snow may have melted on/in there.

Usually a situation like this only requires a thorough drying of the electronics before they will work normally again. Next time bring your truck inside and remove the cases from the ESC and rx if you can, and let them dry or hit them with the hair dryer. Did this the other day with my truck that tipped over on the edge of a creek. Stopped working right, dried it out, and now it's good to go again.

However, it's obviously way more fun if you can run your vehicle in moist/wet environments without worrying, so get a bottle/can of corrosion-x and dip or thoroughly spray the esc and rx (cases off!) with it. The boat and seaplane guys have been using this stuff for a long time with great success. (I think there is a video on youtube of a guy running his ESC, rx, and servo all completely submerged with no problems.)
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:32 AM
Argentina, Buenos Aires
Joined May 2007
27 Posts
Name: Mad Truck Hheng Long.jpg
Views: 216
Size: 61.7 KB
Description: Just that protect your Truck! keep it simple!
Hy guys, just that protect your truck! just a plastic bottle with Velcro!
gussilva2 is offline Find More Posts by gussilva2
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:23 AM
United States, NJ, Mt Holly
Joined Oct 2012
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gussilva2 View Post
Hy guys, just that protect your truck! just a plastic bottle with Velcro!

That's a neat idea.One question, don't the moister get up inside the bottle, where the antenna is?? I have a torment and it says its water-proof but only for like lil puddles. Thanks!
Surfchick is offline Find More Posts by Surfchick
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:02 PM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
419 Posts
i used a similar thing but only covered the front area, you need air flow to keep things cool.