HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2012, 05:54 AM
Joined Jul 2007
57 Posts
Help!
3D printed 1/12 scale pan racer

I am planning on building a 1/12 scale pan racer using 3D printed parts from my prusa 3D printer. I have a few ideas for the design but first since I have never seen one of these pan racers up close and personal I have a few questions.

1.) I am planning on using a brushed motor 540? size what would be a suitable pinon and main gear size?

2.) what are the diameter and width of the tires (front and back)?

3.) what kind of ground clearance should I have?

4.) what is the distance between the centers of the axles?

5.) what is the total width of the chassis?

6.) what is the total length of the chassis?

7.) the mounting holes for the body are they standardized or can I just put them wherever I see fit?

I think that is it for now if I have more questions I'll ask them. once I have the data I need I should be able to knock this out fairly quickly. I am planning on keeping it rather simple (at least for the first one)

I should note that I have a background in engineering, machining, and rc airplanes. I have had a few cars in the past and am expanding my horizons...
Jolijar is offline Find More Posts by Jolijar
Last edited by Jolijar; Mar 20, 2012 at 10:39 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:32 AM
Joined Jul 2007
57 Posts
I've been working on a few design ideas...
Since I don't know the dimensions I need I am just guessing then I can finalize my design later. This is what I have come up with for the front suspension.
The arms are 60mm long and the whole thing is approx 140mm across
I am working on the front steering next.

The arms will be attached to the chassis via a machine screw (I didn't have any on hand so I used a piece of piano wire)
I think the movement of the arms is about right I could probably use a softer spring and I could lighten up the parts quite a bit but for now I just want to get the general shape...

If I could afford to spend a few hundred dollars on a pan car I would just buy one to reference from but since I am a relatively poor college student I have to make do with what I have.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 06:51 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,493 Posts
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...HbBS3PJcB3NFwg

link to the roar rules build car to suit the rules and youll be fine .
also most use a single cell lipo so make it able to fit and also able to be moved for weight transfer .
in the rules you will see the bodies that can be used for this class it will help in order to make the posts in the correct spot

as far as gearing on start with an 80 t spur and a 40 t pinion making sure to make it 48p in order to buy pinions . also get away from brushed motors you will never be competitive in this class using brushed as brushless are zero mantinance and more efficent and have more usable power and also you will need a sencored motor and esc for smooth power delivery with out the cogging effect . you can pic up a novak gtb combo for around 160.00 usd . it will get you where you need to be .

good luck with the design will be keeping an eye on this one .
rcphreak is offline Find More Posts by rcphreak
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:24 AM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
Neat project, have you considered getting a used pan car off of ebay or craigis list? I have picked up a couple for around $20 us.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:01 PM
Joined Jul 2007
57 Posts
Ive been watching ebay but haven't seen any go for cheap... funny thing is I don't need a working car it can be broken, just enough to make something from... Plan on making a bunch for my friends to bash around with which is why I am going with brushed motors... the roar rules that rcphreak was kind enough to post have enough data for me to make an approximation. I think for the bodies I am going to try my hand at vacuum forming my own there's a tutorial on instructables that makes it look fairly straightforward. I'll keep this updated as I continue working on it.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 02:02 PM
Joined Jul 2007
57 Posts
Anyone know where I can inexpensive brushed motor controllers with reverse? I am using a 380 sized motor
Old Mar 25, 2012, 02:41 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,493 Posts
try hobbypartz.com
rcphreak is offline Find More Posts by rcphreak
Old Mar 25, 2012, 03:55 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,902 Posts
You'll probably have an easier time finding cheap brushless combos than brushed now, you don't have to go roar legal or sensored to keep the budget down.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons