HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:31 AM
Joined Feb 2012
16 Posts
Build Log
60" Trainer using Armin wing

So a couple of months back I decided to get back into R/C and bought a Parkzone Stintson. I learned a lot about repairing foam with this and just for something to do started to look for kits to build. Thanks to Ed and Experimentalairplanes his foam board techniques made me want to try one myself.

The dimensions on this:

The Fuse is 45" with a 3" square first section and the final 15" tapers from 3" square to 1" square. Haven't gotten to the nose yet.

Wingspan 60" with a 7" cord not including 2" control surfaces. Carbon fiber arrow shafts the full length of the span. The wing is in 3 sections. I built the 2 30" wings following Ed's techniques and split one section. These ended up on the ends leaving 15" ailerons and about 13" flaps. I still need to do some cleaning up on that part and will do it when I install the servos.

Elevator is 20" and the stab is 10" high. Control surfaces are 2"

Next step is to get all the electrics installed and fashion some type of landing gear. servos and are ordered just have to wait for it to get here. I also need to figure out a power plant or 2 for it. Is it ok to be overpowered on a plane like this? I usually fly around pretty slow and just do some mild aerobatics. I also would like to mount my GoPro to it and get some in flight film.

I have no idea how much it weighs right now but the materials used to this point:
4 Sheets of Dollar Tree foam board
Clear packing tape
Duct Tape
Hot Glue
2 Chop Sticks

When I hold it shoulder level and lightly toss if forward it glides down and touches the tail first but is almost level when it hits the ground.

I look forward to advice on where to go here. I was thinking of using this as a practice round for making a scale Twin Otter ( ie.. motor mounts and if I need to make changes to something) Sorry for the picture quality they were taken from my Iphone.

Edit: Finally figured out how to edit the thread title so its more accurate.
ducoop is offline Find More Posts by ducoop
Last edited by ducoop; Mar 23, 2012 at 11:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:08 AM
Joined Feb 2012
16 Posts
Some more pictures
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:46 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Mar 2007
16,339 Posts
Very nice foamie Trainer Ducoop! your off to a great start on RCG! welcome to the forums!
demondriver is online now Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 20, 2012, 08:30 AM
Joined Feb 2012
16 Posts
Demon. I have been watching your builds and after finishing the twin otter (my next build) I'm thinking of doing an EDF jet liner. Its been to much fun watching your builds for me not to get in the game at all.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 09:15 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
16,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducoop View Post
Demon. I have been watching your builds and after finishing the twin otter (my next build) I'm thinking of doing an EDF jet liner. Its been to much fun watching your builds for me not to get in the game at all.
Thanks Ducoop! A twin otter will be cool!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 20, 2012, 09:40 AM
Crash Test Engineer
United States, MN, Maple Grove
Joined Nov 2011
110 Posts
Hey Ducoop, great looking plane.

I too am building one of Ed's planes. I am doing the Axon and went with 60" wing span as well. I am really struggling with what motor to put on there as it is a pusher and does not allow for a very large prop.

When I weighed my Axon, I came up with a dry weight of 20.3 oz. However, I am going to weigh it again as I am a little concerned that this may be light (not sure if the wings were resting on something off the scale).

I think these are going to be great planes. Going to build a shorter version of your style with the 30" wing. Planning on putting Grayson's MJV3 on it - going to be a screamer. The challenge will if I can handle it (I am new to this as well).

When I re-weigh mine, I will report back. I go to the local post office and use their scale.

Would love to see a video of your plane in action.

RC Dad
RC Dad is offline Find More Posts by RC Dad
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:03 AM
Joined Feb 2012
16 Posts
Thanks RC. I'm looking forward to flying it. Its killing me waiting on these electronics from Hong Kong. I'm going with a twin design on this one so I need to figure out how to mount the motors. I got 2 of these RC 2200KV Brushless Motor 2212-6 + ESC 30A. so I should be overpowered. I think its also the same motor ed uses in his Axion. I was looking at RCtimer online and ended up finding them retailed on ebay. For $21 a pop I figured I would give it a try.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-2200KV-Br...item3a6aa68212
Old Mar 20, 2012, 04:05 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
16,339 Posts
Quote:
Thanks RC. I'm looking forward to flying it. Its killing me waiting on these electronics from Hong Kong. I'm going with a twin design on this one so I need to figure out how to mount the motors. I got 2 of these RC 2200KV Brushless Motor 2212-6 + ESC 30A. so I should be overpowered. I think its also the same motor ed uses in his Axion. I was looking at RCtimer online and ended up finding them retailed on ebay. For $21 a pop I figured I would give it a try.

That ESC-Motor combo looks like a winner Ducoop! I might grab a few myself! Lol
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 20, 2012, 04:38 PM
Joined Feb 2005
24 Posts
Quote:
I was looking at RCtimer online and ended up finding them retailed on ebay. For $21 a pop I figured I would give it a try.

Thanks, Hobbyking was out and thanks for the link I picked this one up as well.

Here's my progress so far:

matefrio is offline Find More Posts by matefrio
Old Mar 20, 2012, 04:44 PM
Joined Feb 2012
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demondriver View Post
The same seller had a couple of EDF sets for sale as well. One 70mm and one 64mm if I remember correctly. I don't know if they are any good but its $25 for the motor and fans. No ESC in that combo.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 04:44 PM
addicted to the sound ehhhhhhh
Joined Dec 2011
138 Posts
How did u attach the wing sections
englanito is offline Find More Posts by englanito
Old Mar 20, 2012, 04:50 PM
Joined Feb 2005
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by englanito View Post
Chines way.. chopsticks.. :-)
matefrio is offline Find More Posts by matefrio
Old Mar 20, 2012, 04:58 PM
Joined Feb 2012
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demondriver View Post
The same seller had a couple of EDF sets for sale as well. One 70mm and one 64mm if I remember correctly. I don't know if they are any good but its $25 for the motor and fans. No ESC in that combo.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 05:04 PM
Joined Feb 2012
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by englanito View Post
The wing tips arn't really attached to the plane right now. I have carbon fiber arrow shafts that are run through the middle and the friction keeps them held on for sitting static. Once I install the servos and cut all the holes I'm going to use glue and tape to fix them permanatly. I've got some colored packing tape I'm going to use on top of the clear tape for designs and it will be put on in a way that it will add support to the joint.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:29 AM
Joined Feb 2012
16 Posts
Got some more work done tonight. I'll post pics in the morning.

I ended up having a little mishap with my PZ Stintson and decided this project was a better place for all the electronics. I have them all mounted and most of the wires run. Just need to pic up some servo wire extensions and some extra wire to extend the leads on my ESC. Should have a working power system tomorrow night.

Some plans that need to get figured out is how to mount my landing gear from the scrapped plane to this one. I was thinking of just gluing a carbon fiber plate have and attaching the landing gear to that so it would give in a hard landing but not get destroyed.Do you think this will be durable enough?

I also need to reinforce a couple of edges with Carbon tubing so the rubber bands don't cut into the foam to much. Also coming up with a way of mounting the motor to the front of the plane as well. I would like to do something like Eds motor mounts but don't have any scrap metal laying around. Well I do have some license plates I can cut up but not sure if they will be strong enough.