HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:54 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,005 Posts
Discussion
No more carburetors

I had to put a new carb on a Stihl chainsaw today. After looking at the box I decided I was done with carburetors....

kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:32 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,876 Posts
How about carburetor in Chinese traditional

or Chinese Simplified
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:54 AM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,969 Posts
why'd you need a new carb? oh god i hope i dont have problems. just shelled out a ton of money for a sthil BR600 backpack blower.
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:54 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toysrme View Post
why'd you need a new carb? oh god i hope i dont have problems. just shelled out a ton of money for a sthil BR600 backpack blower.
Have you torn off all the extraneous stuff yet to convert it to a RC model airplane engine yet? Does it look easy to convert or maybe forget about converting it?

When I was bench running a ASP 1.80 engine, I had some thoughts about how it would make a pretty good leaf blower then it was running. But then it would need to be mounted so it doesn't kill anyone, in order to use it like that.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Mar 21, 2012 at 06:23 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:09 AM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,402 Posts
Quote:
Name: don't-panic.jpg
Views: 36
Size: 17.0 KB
Description:

Whilst I was still in the plant hire game, Stihl stuff had a very good rep.

They may have gone overboard with the designs of their anti vibe gear but it's still top notch.
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:14 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
4,005 Posts
Quote:
For the price of a carb, as compared to out shop hourly rate, I could only work on it for about 20 minutes. Cheaper to replace a $25 carb than fix it.

Ken
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:18 AM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,969 Posts
lol no, no conversions. mine's meant to work for a living 64cc tho. i'd be nice! wish it idled a little better, but im guessing the impeller just doesn't have the mass to flywheel like a prop would.

blowing leaves around (duh) but more importantly, it blows so hard it throws up acorns & hickory nuts that compact in the yard & kill grass. including hickory nuts that have a tap root 1-2" long on them LoL! strong blower =p basically, it's purpose in life is to save me from three days of hard racking the yard 2-3 times a year.
and it does, yesterday i did it and condensed three days worth of work into a 2 hour dash of pollen blasting. thank god for benadryl!
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:56 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,876 Posts
That is a pretty strong blowing unit there. One that can get the nuts with a tap root already on them to move, that is pretty cool.

I had to buy a new lawnmower last Saturday myself. The old one, maybe 15 years or more old, had the spring return pull start jam up and the self propelled drive jam up too. I decided I wasn't going to mess with it. I had fixed it a number of times in the past already. But I had a feeling parts for the self propelled drive wasn't going to be easy to get. Besides it was in the afternoon and the local lawn mower repair shop would be closed by then. Home Depot or Lowes don't stock much of anything for parts anymore.

Anyway, I put the old lawnmower out front with a sign on it stating it is free, broke and does not work. it was gone in a hour.

I think the metal scavengers carted it off for me.

When it comes to not using a carburetor. It reminds me of the all out boat marine racing engines, where they all use a fixed intake venturi and a exhaust throttle on them. I have in the past rigged up control line engines with exhaust throttles, and it works fairly well. Albeit the throttle is not very linear and on some engines idle speed isn't very good, but you can always kill the engine when landing.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Mar 22, 2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:58 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,969 Posts
werd. if they're real deal (like 2-3" or more) you have to shuffle your foot over them once or twice before itll rip them out hah.

loving it so far tho. huge time saver. doesn't seem that bad on gas.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:07 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,876 Posts
I got a 30cc four stroke engine powered weed eater from my neighbor, almost new. He backed up his SUV over the pole part and ruined it. I stripped it down and made a prop adapter for it. I was going to run it as a spark ignition with a CDI unit. But I am now planning on converting it on over to glow use instead. Granted it has a oil sump, but as long as one doesn't fly inverted, what the heck. But I need to make a glow plug adapter for it, and it uses a small 10mm spark plug. So I am not sure how well a 1/4-32 glow plug will fit in it or not. So if the glow plug adapter doesn't work out then it is spark ignition then.

Some of these exhaust throttle units they use on Marine engines are pretty impressive in their own right. So one can do quite well without a carb on a engine.

RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2012, 07:28 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh3497 View Post
I had to put a new carb on a Stihl chainsaw today. After looking at the box I decided I was done with carburetors....

An 1130, huh? That's an MS 170 or MS 180. It's rare that I've had one that I couldn't rebuild cheaper than replacing, so I'd suggest hanging on to the old one! And if you think "vergasser" is cute, you should see the German word for "camshaft!"
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:15 PM
Joined Jan 2004
612 Posts
It does look like a inboard boat engine, very cool.
BUT
where are the cooling fins ?
Jeff
MrGreenSpeed is offline Find More Posts by MrGreenSpeed
Old Mar 23, 2012, 02:15 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,876 Posts
Yes it is a inboard marine engine for model boats, a big one too as the engine is a 15cc OPS.
It is water cooled and even the exhaust throttle is water cooled too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2012, 03:20 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
4,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffinIN View Post
An 1130, huh? That's an MS 170 or MS 180. It's rare that I've had one that I couldn't rebuild cheaper than replacing, so I'd suggest hanging on to the old one! And if you think "vergasser" is cute, you should see the German word for "camshaft!"
You guessed it, MS 180

Warranty repair. Sold the saw on Friday and it came back on Saturday not running right. A small hole in the pump diaphragm to the outside of the carb. Stihl said "new carb". But, by the time you figure parts and labor to repair, a new carb is often more price effective.

So.... what is "camshaft" in German........ Or maybe I don't want to know

Ken
Old Mar 23, 2012, 06:09 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,748 Posts
Nockenwelle.... That's camshaft in German....

You'd need an additional Kolben (piston), Pleuel (conrod), Kurbelwelle (crank), Kurbelwellengehäuse (crankcase), Zylinder (more or less the only recognizeable word) and Zylinderdeckel and some Ventile (valves) and lots of other Kleinteile (small parts) to build an engine....

Brgds, Bert (living in the country next door....)
Brutus1967 is online now Find More Posts by Brutus1967