HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:22 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2012
35 Posts
Question
Swap rudder over to aileron channel on DX7s

Hi all,

I am looking for help on swapping my rudder over to the aileron channel on my Spektrum DX7s (mode 2) for my SS....how is this achieved in the TX, or can I just plug the rudder servo into the aileron channel on the RX?

Thanks in advance....
craig01 is offline Find More Posts by craig01
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:04 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,483 Posts
On 3 channel airplanes like the SS the ususal practice is to plug the rudder servo into the receiver aileron port.

Larry
Lnagel is online now Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:22 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,087 Posts
There is an option that may interest you .... on some Tx's your able to activate a mix that has your rudder activated on both sticks. there is an advantage to this because you still keep your ground/taxi/takeoff steering on the left stick .... good training for when you go to 4 channel.

When the plane is in the air you will use the right stick/aileron to initiate all turns.
immelguy is offline Find More Posts by immelguy
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:43 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2012
35 Posts
Thankyou and thankyou!

I hadn't considered the steering issue...now to just figure how to program that
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:34 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,087 Posts
Hopefully someone with a Spektrum DX7 will chime in and tell us if it's possible.
I may have to google that but my guess is, ..... it's capable.
immelguy is offline Find More Posts by immelguy
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:00 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2012
35 Posts
Yes, pretty sure you can as well, but being the fresh one that I am, I'm not savvy with mixing/programming etc......yet - the DX7s manual is rudimentary to say the least (to a newcomer anyways).
Last edited by craig01; Mar 19, 2012 at 11:51 PM. Reason: missed word!
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:18 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,406 Posts
Should be able to accomplish it by going into your programmable mix screen, Make you master Ailerion and Slave, Rudder and Rates programmed to the amount of movement you prefer. Then plug the rudder into Aileron on the RX.
This setup will allow you to fly the rudder with the aileron stick (actually aileron or rudder stick) and ground steer with the rudder stick. (or aileron)
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Mar 20, 2012, 04:52 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2012
35 Posts
OK, I thinks I gots it....thanks everyone!!

I mixed the rudder to aileron and vica versa, neutralised the aileron and plugged servo into the rudder port on the RX, so trims should be correct.

All control surfaces on the right stick, and I can steer on the ground with the left....

Now to figure how (if?) to switch the left stick rudder so I can't activate it during flight....

This mixing business is driving me to drink!
Old Mar 20, 2012, 06:44 AM
Joined Sep 2010
3,411 Posts
You don't need to de activate it in normal flight. Just leave it responding to either stick. That way you learn that you have to keep the left stick in the middle when just working the throttle. Turn with right stick in the air, left on the ground. This way is much easier when you go to four channel or switch back and forth.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Mar 20, 2012, 07:28 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2012
35 Posts
Awesome, and that is why I love this place. Thanks.