HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:41 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2 Posts
Question
Nubie first question

Hi, I am 12 years old and want to build a hovercraft from scratch.
I have been reading the threads here trying to learn about how to build one.
My problem is i do not understand all of the language around the RC world.
Can somebody tell me what a ESC motor stands for.
Any direction towards a inexpensive remote control and servo can be bought would help me a lot. Cheers Alex.
Mungo Parks is offline Find More Posts by Mungo Parks
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2012, 05:32 PM
Joined Oct 2010
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungo Parks View Post
Hi, I am 12 years old and want to build a hovercraft from scratch.
I have been reading the threads here trying to learn about how to build one.
My problem is i do not understand all of the language around the RC world.
Can somebody tell me what a ESC motor stands for.
Any direction towards a inexpensive remote control and servo can be bought would help me a lot. Cheers Alex.
ESC is basically a speed controller for the motor(s) you are using. You can use a simple ON/OFF switch to power the motor(s) but this will give you only 100% RPM level or 0%. So if you want to slowly decrease or increase the motor turns you will need a ESC (speed regulator) between the motor and receiver.

You can use a Spektrum system: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spektrum-DX5...item53e67be8d4
or http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walkera-2-4G...item2c5fc9ebe9

There's plenty of manufacturers, just type in 4 channel Tx Rx at ebay and you'll find what you are looking for. You will get used system with half price usually.

Have fun with your project
piito is offline Find More Posts by piito
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:11 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,345 Posts
ESC = Electronic Speed Control. And for modern (brushless) electric motors it is needed to drive the motor.

BTW if you want ideas on what to buy it's useful to know where in the world you are.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Mar 22, 2012, 09:17 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2 Posts
Thank you for your help, I live in Canada, Winnipeg.
Alex.
Mungo Parks is offline Find More Posts by Mungo Parks
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:50 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,524 Posts
Inexpensive RC supplies

Here are some links to where you can get inexpensive RC supplies . Radio transmitter with receiver : http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-ct6b-r6b-radiosystem.html Motor , ESC ( Electronic Speed Control ) and servos ( control your rudder , etc. ) combo : http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dy-1006.html Batteries ( get at least two ) : http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl1000-3s1p-40c-3333.html Battery charger : bottom left of this page http://www.lazertoyz.com/shop/batteries.htm This is a very easy to make ( skirtless ) hovercraft - kinda works like an Air-hockey puck . Made from 1 piece of Dollar Tree foamboard , some hot glue and packing tape . 1 motor ( connected to throttle channel ) inside can for lift , a second motor ( connected to elevator channel ) for forward thrust , and rudder servo connected to either rudder or aileron channel . Here's a video of it , took the hood off because it was hitting the thrust prop
Skirtless hovercraft (2 min 7 sec)
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Mar 23, 2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old May 07, 2012, 03:57 PM
Punch it, Chewie.
United States, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Apr 2012
721 Posts
Hi, I want to do the same thing as Mungo, but am a bit more familiar with R/C stuff. For racing, what is the best planform? Nobody seems to have that info. Also, I'm planning to power everything with EDF, and build with Depron, would that be good? Thanks.

Also, how exactly is the skirt constructed? Still unclear on that.
RPM314 is offline Find More Posts by RPM314
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RPM314; May 07, 2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old May 08, 2012, 07:39 AM
The Anti-Heli
Thailand, Bangkok
Joined Dec 2011
16 Posts
This is probably your best bet for racing. EDF lifter's are inefficient so try getting the lowest kv lifter motor you can find (that still fits in the fan of course) Skirts are tricky so therefor, I would suggest going skirt less... especially for racing. LOL I'm basically summarizing the hovercraft I linked. Another must have for racing is a proportional lifter on your throttle or elevator. You need to be able to stop fairly quickly. Depron is ok but I suggest taping up the bottom of the craft with fiber glass re-enforced tape of similar.
ramicaza is offline Find More Posts by ramicaza
Old May 08, 2012, 07:44 PM
Punch it, Chewie.
Joined Apr 2012
721 Posts
Well, skirtless would only work on linoleum type smooth surfaces, which tend to be too small to reach top speed. I think tarmac would be best for speed, so a bag skirt. Multi-terrain capability is important: I'm not looking for strictly 'racing', just fast. I'm also on a budget, so a single EDF is the max. I know that that will involve compromise, but it's necessary and simpler.
On the attached file, the fan feeds a bit of exaust into the skirt, with a flap to control the intake. Also, a couple of 6mm depron sheets sandwiched with epoxy to make 1/2 inch layer. (The skirt looks messed up, but sketchUp isn't good at that kind of stuff.)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RPM314; May 08, 2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old May 09, 2012, 05:24 AM
The Anti-Heli
Thailand, Bangkok
Joined Dec 2011
16 Posts
Skirtless is fine for tarmac with a sufficient lifter. However water is an issue unless you design a bulky, beveled, depron, "stiff skirt" I've never had very good luck with the flap type design. It might be that I just like the drifting capability of a conventional lifter/pusher set up but thats just me. IMO, you should really throw in the bit of extra money required to buy the lifter motor/esc. A conventional prop will do.
ramicaza is offline Find More Posts by ramicaza
Old May 10, 2012, 05:24 PM
Punch it, Chewie.
Joined Apr 2012
721 Posts
No, I found some good skirt material here. How about the skirt stuff is its own part that is velcro'd onto the rest, and makes a skirtless craft without it?

I'll just get props (high pitch) instead of EDF if the lifter is that important. SketchUp model pending.

Edit: how would one control the lifter with a conventional Rx? Plug the ESC into a servo port?
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drake