HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:17 PM
Ireland
Joined Jun 2011
111 Posts
Discussion
AXN Floater VS FPV Raptor 1.6M

i am trying to choose between the axn floater jet and the fpv raptor 1.6m version does anyone have any advice on these planes i am a beginner
jamiek123 is offline Find More Posts by jamiek123
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:23 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,774 Posts
The axn floater has been recommended to beginners many times here, not familiar with the other. That's why I ordered an AXN floater and am getting ready to build it.
shahram72 is online now Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:00 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
I have experience with the Bixler and I recommend it. Good plane. Seems the AXN is popular on your side of the Atlantic... no personal experience.
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Old Mar 20, 2012, 05:26 PM
Ireland
Joined Jun 2011
111 Posts
would the axn fly ok in winds
Old Mar 20, 2012, 05:56 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,774 Posts
I saw a guy this last weekend fly a larger version of this plane made by multiplex in some wind and I saw the plane drift quite a bit from it's large wing area, but it seemed that the wind actually helped it stay aloft for a longer time, being a glider design. The guys told me, if I don't learn to fly in wind, then I won't be able to fly that often.
shahram72 is online now Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Mar 20, 2012, 06:27 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Yes. We found a new place to fly, and it gets pretty windy. There is a hill across the way and when the wind blows you can shut the motor off and glide off the wind as it rises over the hill - that's with the Bixler. The AXN ought to be very similar. There is always the case of too much wind, but that's true for all planes, big and small.

As sha said, flying in wind is more about skill and experience than anything else. Landing is always the tricky part. Flying down wind is something you must learn how to do as well.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 06:31 PM
Ireland
Joined Jun 2011
111 Posts
Do you think that the fpv raptor would be similar to bixler as i can get better deal on european store for that
Old Mar 20, 2012, 09:45 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
This might help.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1464933
Old Apr 02, 2012, 06:25 AM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2012
1 Posts
I fly an axn floater in Laois. Not too bad in wind. But I have it loaded with fpv gear.
oldholborn is offline Find More Posts by oldholborn
Old Apr 02, 2012, 01:29 PM
Power-line attraction pilot
United States, MA, Natick
Joined Jun 2011
520 Posts
you will be smacking your head against the wall repeatedly once you start accruing FPV equipment to install into the AXN floater. I have a fully stuffed AXN floater that I FPV, OSD/autpilot, UHF receiver, video tx, BEC, current sensor, power supply, GPS, etc... all stuffed into its bowels. Though i managed to make it all fit, its a mess and everything is squished inside. The bowels of this plane are just too small for all the gadgetry. Go with a bigger plane from the start, skywalker or FPVraptor should do you well.

In the meantime, i'll be relocating my servos on the AXN floater to the rear of the fuselage, in hopes of increasing useable space. This plane is a head ache to work on, but a pleasure to fly.
caall99 is offline Find More Posts by caall99