HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 02, 2012, 11:58 PM
Must Luv DLG
USA, CO, Golden
Joined Jul 2010
1,453 Posts
Air Stick Jockeys

This is one great bunch of guys to fly with. The Utah boyz have been working hard, and it showed today. Like most contests, the air was highly variable; wild extremes from round 1 to round 9, but these guys have become battle hardned, and are now a force to be reconed with at any contest. I'm looking forward to seeing them in three weeks at BSOC.

Contratulations to Jon Finch for winning the inaugral UT Open, and also to Jon (Helios) Lemon for getting the point necessary to qualify for the USA Team Select. If Mike Maurer had not broken his wind plane getting it out of the car; me thinks the contest would have had a different outcome. Thanks Mike for giving me a chance!!! And Adrian, hang in there buddy. That clock is really great. The F3K Master will become the Gold Standard soon. Thanks for all of your hard work.

Wow, am I ever sunburned and tired. I left the field and stoped to see one of my OLD geology professors in Provo. It was a brief reunion, but we both had tears when we hugged. It was 45 years ago when I first sat in his class. After that pow wow I headed out for the long way around to get home. Tonight I am camped in Mt. Pleasant, UT. I'm at the National Guard Armory; the very same one that I commanded from 1972-1975.....very old memories. Tomorrow, I'll trip a side canyon by foot to update a geology project that I have revived.

Really a fun weekend for me from a lot of angles, and I'm totally tickled to earn that 1/2 point. Thanks to all of you guys for the compliments and hospitality. I had a blast.

Best Regards,
Dave Runyon
The Great Waldo Pepper
Launch-1 is online now Find More Posts by Launch-1
Last edited by Launch-1; Jun 03, 2012 at 09:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2012, 11:19 AM
A different attitude to RC
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
2,649 Posts
Dave, it was great to have you join us! thanks for coming all this way and to everyone else who took part too.
extremewing is offline Find More Posts by extremewing
Old Jun 03, 2012, 11:54 AM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,639 Posts
Utah Open 2012 F3K (10 min 33 sec)
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Jun 03, 2012, 11:43 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,991 Posts
Good times, it was a great day for a contest with every condition you will ever see in DLG.

Thanks Mr, Finch for setting these up. Hopefully at some point we start to grow our group again.

It was alot of fun to time and be timed by Dave for alot of the contest. He really flew well. There were several times when he was in just mediocore air and still needed quite a bit of time and I told him, keep going, youll be fine, and sure nuff, he would float it out for another minute or 2 every time. This was in no mistake air! Very nice!!

It was a treat to have TSSP with us again. Sure was nice to fly with you again. With you and Dave we almost had a class act going if everyone else would have not made it!

Brandon, I fear the day you get a 9 oz launcher! Great flying on the lead sled.

TVK,

AD, you can have network problems any time!

And TBM, I should have known that when I flew soo good Friday night, you were gonna show up Saturday with a score to settle! That sucks. And thanks for letting me know I was in 1st place at lunch. Your the best!

And thanks to TGHPOUDLG for finally having a bad day! Bout time!

The biggest thing I took away from the contest is that I have got to get me another plane fast!!!!! If I dont want to fly cuz of the wind I just shut down, and my goal becomes to launch and then get my plane back. Zero risk, just get her back. All in all its a strategy I must employ as there is no way I can afford to hurt the Helios as I wont have a spare for a few more months and it does me no good to do great, and break a plane. Hopefully a second plane will allow me to push the envelope, cuz until I do that, I am going to be stuck where I am at.

Overall though I am very happy with how I flew as I held my own for the most part. Not bad for a guy who hasnt been flippin much lately!

Hopefully that changes over the next few weeks in prep for Colorado as I am way stoked to just be able to go over there and fly for fun. Should be another Party!
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Jun 04, 2012, 08:28 AM
Joined May 2002
16,991 Posts
Pop Quiz. In the last 2 rounds when the winds came up and it turned into a surf fest, what did you guys change about how you flew?

Since Thursday was the first time I voluntarily flew in winds I didnt want to my experience is pretty weak in this area. I need to learn how to do better in those conditions as Red Rocks and this last one killed me as soon as conditions went south.

But certainly you guys have a tactic you use for those conditions.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 10:29 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,033 Posts
I know Finch dropped a quarter into the slot on the nose of his CX2. Other than adjusting the cg a bit forward, I'm not sure what it did. Maybe something like the Zoltar game in the movie "Big". As he dropped it in I thought I heard him mumble something like "I want to fly like Joe Wurtz"...

My strategic plan was to pull out the Steigeisen, since it does so much better in wind than the Polaris. Then I proceeded to snag the corner of the tail in the ceiling fabric of my car and broke the horizontal stab . Plan B was to quickly stuff some lead in the nose of the Polaris. No time to remove the wing and add ballast (not enough lift for ballast anyway). Plan B didn't work out so well for me. I'm building a Zoltar quarter slot in the nose of my next plane...
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Jun 04, 2012, 10:38 AM
Joined May 2002
16,991 Posts
I knew I would have to find lift in the wind and every time I thought I was in lift I would turn and drop. EVERY TIME!!!! There had to be lift there, but it eleduded me, or at least I was not flying it correctly.

I still marvel at the flight that Phil had at RR where Mike S called out an upwind thermal, Phil drove over to it pretty low, and there he goes in his racetrack speed downwind thermal climbing like a demon. I am missing something to this wind deal....
Old Jun 04, 2012, 10:44 AM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,639 Posts
Ah oh... my secret's out.

I know once the plane is flying that it can't really tell if there's a wind or not, but when there's a lot of wind the gusting tends to throw my planes around when flown at their "normal" cg. Adding the quarter moves the CG forward enough to give enough stability to keep that bouncing at a minimum. Other than that its kind of a crap shoot for me. When there's that much wind I can't read anything with the streamers so I just launch and fly upwind but slightly at an angle to one side. When I stumble into lift I then make turns to stay in it. Problem with Saturday afternoon was that the lift was just not very prevalent. But when I did stumble into some I was able to get high pretty quickly.

Jon, you should fly as often as you can in the wind. It'll give you the confidence to know what your plane can and can't do. IMO, that's the best reason to do it... confidence.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 10:50 AM
Joined May 2002
16,991 Posts
I agree, and thats why I flew on Thursday. I HATE flying in the wind!!!!!! But I have to figure it out and get over it! There is ALWAYS wind at some point.

I will just keep working at it. Certainly there is no shortcut, as like everything DLG, I have to "SEE" it work when I fly. Reading about why and how does me no good. But I was hoping there was some sort of trick to it.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 11:35 PM
Must Luv DLG
USA, CO, Golden
Joined Jul 2010
1,453 Posts
Et

Hey Lemon,

I sent you a couple of PM. Did you get them?

Dave
Old Jun 05, 2012, 12:09 AM
Must Luv DLG
USA, CO, Golden
Joined Jul 2010
1,453 Posts
Confession

I got back to Golden this afternoon after a side trip in Utah.

While driving home, I was kicking myself for making the dumbest mistake that I've ever done in a contest. The task was 3 best flights (3:20), and Finch was timing for me. The thunder storm had kicked up a lot of crummy wind, and lift was hard to find so the flights were short.

Somewhere along the way, Jeremy had damaged his Stobel and grabbed an Elf. I saw him launch out of the corner of my eye while I was flying, and shocked at how high his Elf launch went. Immediately after that I landed, and watched his plane.......then after an extended pause Finch asked me if I was going to launch again........dah!!! For some crazy reason, I had it in my head that we were flying AULD. Dumb, double Dumb, triple Dumb. I woke up and launched to try and salvage what time that I could, as the window clock was still running.

If I had my head in the game launched quick turn arounds, I might have done much better on that task. I probably gave away the contest right there! I hope that I don't ever have a brain circuit short out like that again.

Finch, you won it fair and square, however I'm kinda glad that I don't have the trophy after Citrus scratched his BUTT with it. Oh well, if you guys were boring, I wouldn't drive 500 miles for the contest.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 08:41 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,033 Posts
Nice try Dave, but it wouldn't have made any difference in that 3x200 if you had been doing quick turnarounds, because there was no 3:20 air. Nobody was getting much more than about a minute per flight in that junk. And you got the 1000 in that round anyway. Can't do any better than that! You flew great all day.
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Jun 05, 2012, 09:01 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,216 Posts
Mike's right. The only difference it could have made would be to take away my 1000, and I'm really glad you didn't
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Jun 05, 2012, 09:48 AM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch-1 View Post
Finch, you won it fair and square, however I'm kinda glad that I don't have the trophy after Citrus scratched his BUTT with it. Oh well, if you guys were boring, I wouldn't drive 500 miles for the contest.
Note to self: never take eyes off Lemon when he's around a trophy...

Can't wait to do this again in a couple weeks in Denver!!!
Old Jun 05, 2012, 01:19 PM
Must Luv DLG
USA, CO, Golden
Joined Jul 2010
1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
Nice try Dave, but it wouldn't have made any difference in that 3x200 if you had been doing quick turnarounds, because there was no 3:20 air. Nobody was getting much more than about a minute per flight in that junk. And you got the 1000 in that round anyway. Can't do any better than that! You flew great all day.
==================================

I didn't think to look back at the score, and I'm shocked to have 1000 for that round. With the thunder storm overhead, that was a brutal time to fly.

Even with that contest brain cramp (helmet fire?), it was a fun trip to Utah, and I'm glad to see so many pilots becoming contenders.

Looking forward to seeing you guys in Colorado for BSOC and of course, the TS!