HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:14 AM
Closed Account
Joined Mar 2012
508 Posts
Help!
trex 450 clone main gear problem

ran into a small problem with my trex 450 clone. i was checking the blade tracking and had the heli taped to my table. was up about a 1/3 throttle and accidentally fliped the 3 d mode switch. all kinds of noise.i shut it down as quick as i could. i have teeth missing on the main gear which is easy to replace but i just noticed when i was rotating the gear that the motor spins around too. meaning the body of it . is this normal? or have i got bigger problems? its a brush less motor. maybe it spins to keep cool because its has vents on the tail end of it. any info would be appreciated. thanks in advance
stormheli is offline Find More Posts by stormheli
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:14 AM
KoOl BrEeZe
Joined Feb 2012
597 Posts
Depends on your motor. Some spin some dont. I'm betting yours does, So all is well in that area. You stripped your main gear because your head speed was was not going fast enough to keep on track with your sudden motor increase. Rookie mistake, happened to us all at one point or another. But please dont TAPE your Helli to a table with blades on to check your tracking. Very dangerous. And hard on the heli itself. check your blade tracking while in a hover.
LiQuid*Xion is offline Find More Posts by LiQuid*Xion
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:03 PM
Joined Oct 2008
105 Posts
Let me get this straight ,,,,? You own a helicopter ,, and don't know if you have a ( out runner or in runner motor???) Ok,,,,,, out runner the outside of motor turns,,,,,, in runner the outside doesn't turn!!
DCT1 is offline Find More Posts by DCT1
Old Mar 19, 2012, 01:24 PM
Never Go Full Retard
Sverige, Västra Götalands Län, Dals-Ed
Joined Sep 2011
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT1 View Post
Let me get this straight ,,,,? You own a helicopter ,, and don't know if you have a ( out runner or in runner motor???) Ok,,,,,, out runner the outside of motor turns,,,,,, in runner the outside doesn't turn!!
He obviously in his first few setups in a new built heli Clone and your bashing his lack of knowledge?

But yes. in electric motors they can spin on the outside wich gives more effect and cooling but you would not use it in a RC car for example because of all the dirt and the trouqe req.
1Man1Mountain is offline Find More Posts by 1Man1Mountain
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:33 PM
Closed Account
Joined Mar 2012
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidClown View Post
Depends on your motor. Some spin some dont. I'm betting yours does, So all is well in that area. You stripped your main gear because your head speed was was not going fast enough to keep on track with your sudden motor increase. Rookie mistake, happened to us all at one point or another. But please dont TAPE your Helli to a table with blades on to check your tracking. Very dangerous. And hard on the heli itself. check your blade tracking while in a hover.
thanks for the input liquidclown. thas me rookie! no more table tieing to say the least!!!!!! lesson learned! seen a guy on youtube do it like that, but then again he didn't hit the switch either! my own fault. there's only a few teeth missing and i will order another gear. can i still use the gear i have till it gets here?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:38 PM
Closed Account
Joined Mar 2012
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT1 View Post
yes you got it straight! that was easy huh? i never said i knew everything! just here too learn from others like yourself. this is only my 3rd heli. rookie mistake,but im learning. its a hard way to learn though
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:39 PM
Closed Account
Joined Mar 2012
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Man1Mountain View Post
He obviously in his first few setups in a new built heli Clone and your bashing his lack of knowledge?

But yes. in electric motors they can spin on the outside wich gives more effect and cooling but you would not use it in a RC car for example because of all the dirt and the trouqe req.
thanks for the back-up mountainman. understood! thanks for the answer.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:45 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormheli View Post
thanks for the input liquidclown. thas me rookie! no more table tieing to say the least!!!!!! lesson learned! seen a guy on youtube do it like that, but then again he didn't hit the switch either! my own fault. there's only a few teeth missing and i will order another gear. can i still use the gear i have till it gets here?
Wait for the new gear.
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:20 PM
Closed Account
Joined Mar 2012
508 Posts
my clone is the same as a trex 450 se v2 and the main gears are suppose to be the same. that being said. are these the only main gears that will work? or are say the sport version ect the same. the one i have is 150 tooth. anyone know???????
Old Mar 20, 2012, 02:11 AM
Never Go Full Retard
Sverige, Västra Götalands Län, Dals-Ed
Joined Sep 2011
134 Posts
basicly count the teeth and you should be fine. Align maingear are blue aswell.
1Man1Mountain is offline Find More Posts by 1Man1Mountain
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:41 PM
United States, VA, Chantilly
Joined Jul 2006
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormheli View Post
ran into a small problem with my trex 450 clone. i was checking the blade tracking and had the heli taped to my table. was up about a 1/3 throttle and accidentally fliped the 3 d mode switch. all kinds of noise.i shut it down as quick as i could. i have teeth missing on the main gear which is easy to replace but i just noticed when i was rotating the gear that the motor spins around too. meaning the body of it . is this normal? or have i got bigger problems? its a brush less motor. maybe it spins to keep cool because its has vents on the tail end of it. any info would be appreciated. thanks in advance
the gap between pinion and main gear was not right -------> broken the main gear teeth when turn on the idle up SW.
videonic is offline Find More Posts by videonic
Old Mar 20, 2012, 02:17 PM
Woods Cross UT
Joined Dec 2006
38 Posts
Advice from one noob to another. Inhibit the idle up! If you accidentally hit it when you are learning to hover you will need a change of underwear.
utah Flyer is offline Find More Posts by utah Flyer