HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2012, 03:10 AM
Joined Mar 2012
40 Posts
Help!
how to build a R/C airplane?

Hi! im so interested about this subject, and realy like to build a rc plane! but i have no idea how to plan or build.I know you all in this club are professionals about this subject.so, im thankful if you all help me to do this!
my English is not so good,very sorry if there any mistakes!
amila_neranjan is offline Find More Posts by amila_neranjan
Last edited by amila_neranjan; Mar 19, 2012 at 03:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2012, 03:24 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
You can buy a cheap plane kit like the GWS PicoStick for $15.00 and build it.
That will give you a real experiance of building a plane.
Then after you learn to fly it, you can build something nicer.
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Mar 19, 2012, 03:31 AM
Joined Mar 2012
40 Posts
thank for your advice!
can you share a link to bye it?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 03:38 AM
Joined Mar 2012
40 Posts
to learn about Aerodynamics Stability Concepts
http://adamone.rchomepage.com/index5.htm
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:10 AM
Frequent Flyer
Orleans, MA
Joined Feb 2007
2,093 Posts
Here's a good site for building with balsa:
http://www.airfieldmodels.com/

Building is very enjoyable today. It is fairly easy to locate materials and plans on the internet, and lipo/brushless power makes smaller models and older designs more practical.
whitecrest is online now Find More Posts by whitecrest
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:09 AM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,081 Posts
This is a website of planes made out of plastic www.spadtothebone.com .
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:30 AM
Joined Mar 2012
40 Posts
Basics of R/C Model Aircraft Design

Basics of R/C Model Aircraft Design e-book
A comprehensive guide to designing radio control model airplanes. Andy Lennon presents a thorough and comprehensive introduction to the intriguing world of model aerodynamics.
download link
http://www.fileserve.com/file/n96ZR4v
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:41 AM
Joined Mar 2012
40 Posts
How to Fly RC Planes – A Beginner RC Tutorial in How an RC Plane Works and How to Fly

A Beginner RC Tutorial in How an RC Plane Works and How to Fly One
excellent video on learning to fly a remote controlled airplane.
http://rcrodeo.com/1563.html
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:10 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,447 Posts
amila_neranjan - please do yourself a favor and buy a kit. You need to put this stuff in your hands and see how it works. It is not like engineering, it is more like craft and art, and you need to learn the techniques by seeing them in action. You also need to learn to fly, BEFORE you spend a lot of time building an aircraft. The book mentioned above is very good, but you're going to be lost and not be able to read it and understand it, unless you get some experience with RC airplanes first.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:47 PM
Joined Sep 2010
204 Posts
A simulator can be a good experience for a first time pilot. It is not a substitute for actual flying, but does translate the idea and hand/eye coordination of piloting an airplane remotely.
Acquire as much knowledge of aerodynamics as possible to understand what makes a plane fly including terminology, power plants, airframes and their purpose, then,
FIND A MENTOR! Club members and accomplished RC fliers are usually anxious to share experience with potential hobbyists.
DHjets is offline Find More Posts by DHjets
Last edited by DHjets; Mar 19, 2012 at 12:47 PM. Reason: sp
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:51 PM
Joined Sep 2010
204 Posts
This is a good guideline for actual radio piloting.
http://www.blueangels.rchomepage.com...ing_to_fly.htm
Old Mar 19, 2012, 02:12 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHjets View Post
Acquire as much knowledge of aerodynamics as possible to understand what makes a plane fly including terminology, power plants, airframes and their purpose,
I think the importance of this is overestimated quite often. I have had the rare experience of examining and observing model aircraft built by aeronautical engineers (actual rocket scientists) and I am not impressed. I think what happens is their heads get so full of numbers, they forget about the CRAFT of building an airplane, and so they end up with a plane that only works on paper and in simulations. On the other hand, I can look at an airplane and "just have a feeling" about how well it will fly, because of years as a craftsman. I can not tell you the numbers behind why a plane will fly better than another one.

I'm not saying to ignore the physical facts about flight, just not to put a lot of emphasis on it, because it's not what gives you the ability to build a good airplane. You need to learn the craft, not the numbers. It is important to understand the basic forces and how motors work and so on, but it does not inform you on how to build an airplane. HAVING an airplane will.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:20 PM
Joined Sep 2010
204 Posts
I agree completely...
I'm just stressing the importance of understanding basic elements of a plane. Lift, power to weight ratio, wing loading. Knowing what a rudder is and does.LOL!
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:43 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHjets View Post
I agree completely...
I'm just stressing the importance of understanding basic elements of a plane. Lift, power to weight ratio, wing loading. Knowing what a rudder is and does.LOL!
That stuff is super important, but it's super comical when someone decides it's the only thing that matters. Basically, you get to watch a $100K drone take off and fly, but not be able to turn! It was seriously funny, and a little worrisome as well - this outfit has grants from the government, and their plane doesn't even fly, and a bunch of idiots standing out at the field every Sunday took one look at the thing and none of us thought it would fly. The engineers actually argued that point - they were all like "look at these numbers" and we were all like "look at that stupid plane!"

It was just funny is all, I wish you all could have been there

And.. the icing on the cake is... they are now using a video clip of the "flight" to promote themselves. Of course they don't show it CRASHING all over the place! Almost makes me wonder if all they needed was 10 seconds of video of the thing leaving the ground, to get their next grant or something. Our government is being ripped off, and the new FAA rules will only make it easier for the rich and powerful to do this kind of thing. Be on that - so we can stop it when it comes up.

SO, be a craftsman, not an engineer. Craftsmen get things done, engineers think about things.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:28 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amila_neranjan View Post
thank for your advice!
can you share a link to bye it?
If you are trying to buy a Pico Stick and you are in USA or Canada, just try to find it out from www.caliberhobby.com or Horizon Hobby one or any other sources on internet if you could not find it available at your local hobby shops.
Chen
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen