HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Rob Knox, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:35 PM
Captain Coolite
Meringandan, QLD , Australia
Joined Jan 2011
2,741 Posts
Discussion
Clive Mayers Hurricane

The Decals for my Hurricane arrived last week.
Once again, Callie has done an Excellent job. It never ceases to amaze me how accurately she can produce decals which fit perfectly where they're supposed to.
Case in point are the decals for the Tail of my Hurricane. RAF 601 SQN had a unique tail flash with their SQN crest in the white part. I sent Callie illustrations I'd found on the net, and only wingspan and ACFT length dimensions. She has produced the tail flash to fit PERFECTLY.

I had to remove the stock Squadron Code and aircraft registration numbers from the model. This was a bit of a dilemma in itself because the stock decals are water slide type and could be difficult to remove; plus, I'd read on the forum that other owners were having major difficulty colour matching paint. I had contacted Horizon Hobby for this info, but they said that it was a saleable part and were unable to provide the details (has anyone ever seen their paints for sale??)

Long story short...I discovered that by just rubbing my finger over the stock decals they would peel off with the friction.....but mainly only on the green paint, on the brown it also removed the paint. I took the cockpit to my local BMS Mitre 10 hardware store, and the guy there quickly matched the green perfectly, but then spent absolutely ages matching the brown. I was very impressed with his determination to match the colours perfectly for me .

I've now placed all the decals on the right hand side and removed / obliterated all unwanted stock decals. Roundel on the right is fine, but the roundel on the left has been placed too far back on the fuselage. I've studied the old BnW image of Clive's Hurri and decided to paint over the original roundel and have ordered a new one from Callie.

In the attached images you can see the completed detailing of the right hand side, and the left hand side with the decals removed / painted over. You can see that the paint has matched perfectly.

I've also attached the WW2 pic of Clive's Hurri so you can see why I've had to remove the old roundel and get a new one.
Rob Knox is offline Find More Posts by Rob Knox
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SBD Dauntess Dive Bomber
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:03 AM
Joined Aug 2011
180 Posts
Nice job. Cool plane.
FeiJi is offline Find More Posts by FeiJi
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: P51 Landing Gear