SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:36 PM
Perpetually covered in resin
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2011
555 Posts
Hey Tom my Zippy 350s came today, gonna build the packs then will let you know flight times later today.
RawmadeCF is offline Find More Posts by RawmadeCF
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2012, 07:19 PM
United States, GA
Joined Dec 2011
130 Posts
We have a lot of carpenter bees in South Georgia, I believe they are the Xylocopa virginica species.

Anyway, they come out in the spring and when they first encountered my helis they would attack them and often get knocked down by the blades. After a couple days they stopped doing it so either the stupid ones were an anomoly that were erased (much like a clumsy mountain goat) or they got used to them and no longer saw them as a threat. Either way it was fun for awhile. I have tried to aggravate them by flying close to their nests (holes in the eaves of my house) but to no avail.

Moto
MX48 is offline Find More Posts by MX48
Old Mar 21, 2012, 07:51 PM
Joined Dec 2011
555 Posts
I will say this, the Zippy 350s are THE perfect size for the MCP. Same hight and width as stock, just slightly longer, little shorter than the Fullriver 350.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:02 PM
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Dec 2010
575 Posts
got mine today.. actually yesterday but missed the delivery. pretty dumb for them to send registered/certified mail for $6 in batteries i know they will provide good flight time but the question is how long they last. i bought them cause i knew how small/light they are considering the capacity.. only 1gram heavier than hyperion 240.
scub is offline Find More Posts by scub
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:00 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Z View Post
Hi Bill,

Got away from the helicopters for a while. Came back here to update my RX/TX sticky and add some more setup guides.
Then saw the Mini CP threads and had to get the MCP! Liked it so much had to do a review on it.

That is interesting you had a Hawk go after your heli also. Sounds like Hawks like helicopters.
I hear it is common for birds to chase a heli or plane but this is the first time I had it happen to me. If only I could have got it all on film!

Think I saw you got the GCP and liked it. If so have you tried to flip and invert or do any 3D?

Tom
Hi Tom,
Yeah , I like my Genius. Stripped to spur gear in a rather comical attempt to invert. Cracked the frame, too....and got too many other demands on the purse to justify a part order. You and I know a $20 order turns into $100 by the time you get done shopping. I need a couple ESC's and would like a new CO5. The one I have needs to be wound. It has terminal stutters.

Still flying my 4#6 moth. The 90` mSR style B/H works pretty good. I like the feel. Very connected. Immediate response. Almost CPish on the cyclic side.

keep up the good [as usual] work on your reviews. Impressive detail.

regards,
Bill
Air Vaca is offline Find More Posts by Air Vaca
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:11 PM
ladybird, miniCP, msrx, 4F180
Joined Jan 2012
515 Posts
Thanks for the review. I have been flying my MiniCP with the genius gear, and stock brushed motor. Did some swapping today and didnt like the genius motor w/ either gear. The motor seemed to get too hot too quickly. The stock mini motor works well but loses its punch about 2 minutes into the flight no matter if I use the stock 240mah or 350mah v100do8 battery.

Im going to switch to the co5 kit that wow sells. Does it come with a 8t or 9t pinion or do you know? Brushless seems to be the way to go, faster and longer battery life.
afloyd82 is offline Find More Posts by afloyd82
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:31 PM
Joined Dec 2010
575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by afloyd82 View Post
Thanks for the review. I have been flying my MiniCP with the genius gear, and stock brushed motor. Did some swapping today and didnt like the genius motor w/ either gear. The motor seemed to get too hot too quickly. The stock mini motor works well but loses its punch about 2 minutes into the flight no matter if I use the stock 240mah or 350mah v100do8 battery.

Im going to switch to the co5 kit that wow sells. Does it come with a 8t or 9t pinion or do you know? Brushless seems to be the way to go, faster and longer battery life.
same experience with the mini motor. after 2 minutes it barely wants to say in the air despite still having 3.8v+ in battery. walkera made a huge mistake by using this motor, i think they just throw a motor from their pile of parts without much testing for performance, battery life and weight.

wowhobbies charges way too much, i think paid like $35 for c05m and esc.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:49 AM
Joined Dec 2010
575 Posts
just check the voltage on the zippys and they weren't in storage mode.. little high at 3.95v
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:28 AM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by afloyd82 View Post

Your welcome.

The Mini CP stock motor is an amp hog. It sucks down the battery fast.
I couldn't get more than two minutes max even with the Hyperion 240 mah 25C battery.
Going brushless got me 3:00 to 4:40 minutes flight time depending which battery I use.

The C05 kit that wow sells should have the 9T pinion.

Tom
Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:42 AM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawmadeCF View Post
Hey Tom my Zippy 350s came today, gonna build the packs then will let you know flight times later today.
Sounds good!
The should provide good flight time.

Tom
Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:19 AM
Joined Dec 2010
575 Posts
zippys seem decent so far.. but my batteries (including hyperion) are getting somewhat warm running with the c05m.. the zippy battery after flying over 4 minutes was warm and still had decent voltage.

there are a few with the walkera/fullriver 350mah 25c.. how much run time with those on a brushless motor? these look like them.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:24 AM
Joined Dec 2011
555 Posts
My nano 300s and zippys run longer than my Fullriver 350s on Genius motor and gear
Old Mar 23, 2012, 02:42 AM
Joined Jan 2012
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Z View Post
Your welcome.

The Mini CP stock motor is an amp hog. It sucks down the battery fast.
I couldn't get more than two minutes max even with the Hyperion 240 mah 25C battery.
Going brushless got me 3:00 to 4:40 minutes flight time depending which battery I use.

The C05 kit that wow sells should have the 9T pinion.

Tom
Thanks
Old Mar 23, 2012, 08:18 PM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
I got 6 min with c05 w/7t genius gear with the zippy 350mah 20c. And the battery was really warm. I was just flying it around the living room. Figure 8's backward ,forward gentle flight 2 feet off the ground. Had enough battery to land but thats it. Earlier in the day I had installed the c05 and did about 12 strong pitch pumps on the same battery. This battery was giving strong pitch pumps, they are 8.6grams bare cell, 9.4 with walkera style connector. They also perform and seem the exact same as my 5 rcecho/ebay 350mah 20c batteries. My walkera 350mah 25c battery worked well at first but after 20 flights its been degrading. My stock mini 240 25c is the most powerful of the bunch. Love that little battery.
mescalinedream is offline Find More Posts by mescalinedream
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:10 PM
Joined Jan 2012
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mescalinedream View Post
I got 6 min with c05 w/7t genius gear with the zippy 350mah 20c. And the battery was really warm. I was just flying it around the living room. Figure 8's backward ,forward gentle flight 2 feet off the ground. Had enough battery to land but thats it. Earlier in the day I had installed the c05 and did about 12 strong pitch pumps on the same battery. This battery was giving strong pitch pumps, they are 8.6grams bare cell, 9.4 with walkera \tyle connector. They also perform and seem the exact same as my 5 rcecho/ebay 350mah 20c batteries. My walkera 350mah 25c battery worked well at first but after 20 flights its been degrading. My stock mini 240 25c is the most powerful of the bunch. Love that little battery.
I have found the same thing, the stock 240mah battery is really REALLY good. I also got 2 walkera 350 25c's and one is already bad, probably 25 cycles on it. It wont charge anymore on the WK stock charger. The red light never goes it, just sits on the charger and fails to ever charge. Looks like I need to hit up hobbyking for the nano-tech, or get those zippy 350's. Where did you get your zippy batteries from?