HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2012, 02:06 PM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2011
871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
Please provide a link for the Tail Motor Holder.
I'm using a Rakon knock-off but can't recommend it as the screws easily strip. The Rakon one is only a few $ more. But it might be just as bad, I haven't tried one.
itsmillertime is online now Find More Posts by itsmillertime
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2012, 03:32 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmillertime View Post
I'm using a Rakon knock-off but can't recommend it as the screws easily strip. The Rakon one is only a few $ more. But it might be just as bad, I haven't tried one.
Thanks.

I looked at Rakon's website, and it looks like you're using a Tail Motor Mount designed for the mCPx which is intended for use with a 2 mm dia Tail Boom. That explains why you needed to file the end of the Mini's Tail Boom to make it fit. It was nice to see that their upgrade metal Tail Motor Mount weighs about the same as the Mini's stock plastic Tail Motor Mount.

I also looked at MicoHeli's website and found they have a Tail Motor Mount for the Mini/Genius Tail Boom. It costs about the same ($19 + shipping), but it is designed to work with a 2 mm square Tail Boom without any further modifications and comes with a Tail Fin. A bit pricey, but may pay for itself in the long run. They didn't list a weight spec, so I'm concerned they might not be as weight sensitive about their parts as I am.

i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Old Jun 19, 2012, 04:53 PM
Joined Dec 2011
871 Posts
I was limited to the raised design since I now have a huge tail rotor. I like that the metal one is light and has a heat sink design but with the brushless tail I don't need the heat sink. I'm hoping to find one made out of plastic or delrin though because the screws strip way to easily on the metal ones. I get them snug and then they come loose in flight, so I barely tighten them again but they still come loose. After a few cycles they strip and I ca it to the tail boom and burn if off if necessary.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 05:29 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,172 Posts
Why not apply a microdot of weak Loctite on the thread of the metal-to-metal screws?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 07:03 PM
Joined Dec 2011
871 Posts
Don't have any. I added 6 more fets to my main esc, 18 total and am now running the hp06v2. Flight times dropped to 4:30 but they are a fun 4:30. Sounds so mean... This is a large motor and a 64t main gear is a must for proper gear mesh.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:43 PM
Big Island of Hawaii
Joined Jan 2011
247 Posts
GCP converted to MiniGCP, the best of both worlds

I modified both of my 2801 GCPs to Mini CPs using all the parts from the GCPs except Frame, Skids, Servo Holder, Main Gear and home made link for pitch servo.
I still don't 3D and am happy with the org. Genius motor w/9T & Mini main gear. The motors seem to last longer with the stiffer frame and better mess with the Mini main gear. Use Hyp 240 Mah and get a solid 5 min.
I added foam under RX and use a 9958 hard shell canopy ($1.95) that fits like a glove. Vertually indistructable. Ty-wrap for replacement tail strut on one. Extreme swash on one. Boom saver tape always.
No Mini RX problem, No one piece skid problem, Better handling, Lower maintenence. The Best of both worlds. Wiill never look back.
Will go brushless at sometime, but for now am happy with what I've got.

RD
rldeveer is offline Find More Posts by rldeveer
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:31 AM
Joined Aug 2009
5,172 Posts
Few things:

1) You forgot to mention doing the very important Servo Saver Mod

2) Good find on the El Cheapo Canopy

3) After you posted about using a Zip-Tie for the Tail Support, I originally thought it was a good idea and tried it, only to find I have mixed feelings. The pros are that it is inexpensive and easy to incorporate, the con is the plastic Zip-Tie is too flexible to protect the Tail Rotor/Motor. I think the Tail Fin's main purpose is to protect the Tail Rotor/Motor from being stalled during a hard landing/crash. One of the easiest ways of shortening the lifespan of a brushed Motor is to stop/stall it while it is being commanded to rotate. Doing so will cause excessive current which may damage the brushes (the whisker like metal fingers in the stock Mini Motors will melt) and/or damage the FET's. I'm sure not all crashes will impact on the Tail Fin, but for the ones that do a non-flexible Tail Support is probably good insurance, so I decided to keep my Fin hard.

4) How do you like the expensive Xtreme metal Swashplate? Can you tell any difference in performance?
Last edited by i812; Jun 20, 2012 at 12:59 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:51 AM
Big Island of Hawaii
Joined Jan 2011
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
Few things:

1) You forgot to mention doing the very important Servo Saver Mod

2) Good find on the El Cheapo Canopy

3) After you posted about using a Tip-Tie for the Tail Support, I originally thought it was a good idea and tried it out, only to find I have mixed feelings. The pros are that it is inexpensive and easy to incorporate, the con is the plastic Zip-Tie is too flexible to protect the Tail Rotor/Motor. I think the Tail Fin's main purpose is to protect the Tail Rotor/Motor from being stalled during a hard landing/crash. One of the easiest ways of shortening the lifespan of a brushed Motor is to stop/stall it while it is being commanded to rotate. Doing so will cause excessive current which may damage the brushes (the whisker like metal fingers in the stock Mini Motors will melt) and/or damage the FET's. I'm sure not all crashes will impact on the Tail Fin, but for the ones that do a non-flexible Tail Support is probably good insurance, so I decided to keep my Fin hard.

4) How do you like the expensive Xtreme metal Swashplate? Can you tell any difference in performance?
Ya the canopy is about <0.5g heavier and worth every bit. $1.49 each for qty of 3from Focalprice, free shipping.

Understand your point on hard tail fin. Have been flying with this for some time with no ill effect. It does protect the rotor from hitting durring normal spin ups ect.

No major difference with the Exteme Swash, but again, I'm a sport flyer for now. Won't spend the $ for the second bird, and now have a spare.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:25 AM
Joined Aug 2009
5,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rldeveer View Post
Ya the canopy is about <0.5g heavier and worth every bit. $1.49 each for qty of 3from Focalprice, free shipping.

Thanks for the source info

Understand your point on hard tail fin. Have been flying with this for some time with no ill effect. It does protect the rotor from hitting durring normal spin ups ect.

After I incorporating all the Saver Mods, Tail Fins became my #1 break item. I considered flying without a Tail Fin because on take-off the Landing Skid keeps the Tail Rotor well away from making contact with the Landing Zone, but decided to do the extra work and cut my own from Credit Card just for the hard landings/crashes that by chance happen come down "feet" first.

No major difference with the Exteme Swash, but again, I'm a sport flier for now. Won't spend the $ for the second bird, and now have a spare.

Thanks for the Extreme Swash review. I notice my Mini has slop/play between the Servo and the Blade Grips. Some of the play is from the Servos, some from the Links, and some from the Swash. I spent the 1st month flying my Mini in the Living Room and it was doable, but it didn't fly as "tight" as I would like, so after noticing the slop from all the various parts, I was hoping if there was a way to reduce the slop, maybe the Mini would be a "tamer" Living Room "pet".
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:45 AM
Big Island of Hawaii
Joined Jan 2011
247 Posts
No major difference with the Exteme Swash, but again, I'm a sport flier for now. Won't spend the $ for the second bird, and now have a spare.

Thanks for the Extreme Swash review. I notice my Mini has slop/play between the Servo and the Blade Grips. Some of the play is from the Servos, some from the Links, and some from the Swash. I spent the 1st month flying my Mini in the Living Room and it was doable, but it didn't fly as "tight" as I would like, so after noticing the slop from all the various parts, I was hoping if there was a way to reduce the slop, maybe the Mini would be a "tamer" Living Room "pet".

003 Buna 90 durometer o-rings should do the trick. 50 from oringsandmore.com for a couple bucks.
One on each of the swash horns that the servo link attach to and also as replacements for the rotor head bushings along with a small sst washer as a shim on the inside of the head. I tried them on the blade grip horns but didn't like the result.

Let me know how it works for you.
RD
Old Jun 20, 2012, 03:05 AM
Joined Dec 2011
871 Posts
Like this:

I filed my feathering shaft down in lieu of washers but the end result was a very stable smooth Mini. But now I have a lot of play in the swash and am going back to stock. I had some nasty crashes and never broke the stocker. It took a 40' nose dive out of a tree to finally break it. The Xtreme has a much smoother, less resistance bearing but it's a different size and I can't frankenstein them together.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 06:37 PM
Registered Canopy Crusher
United Kingdom, Scotland, Insch
Joined Apr 2012
61 Posts
Man, you guys should start a new show... 'pimp my mcp'

Loads of great info recently guys, keep it up!
weeb is offline Find More Posts by weeb
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:15 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Once i get that part from digikey and get my rx back in working order (or buy a new one if need be) i was thinking of doing the servo saver mod too before i bust one of those. Is there a consensus on the best way to go about that? I like the dental floss cause I have some of that on hand (yes i do floss my teeth even though i live in Kentucky ) but i'm up for ordering some tubing if it's better.
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:15 AM
Joined Feb 2008
222 Posts
Just want to share that HP06V2/HP06VX is under limited offer in US$22.88. Worldwide shipping is US$5 for unlimited parts. MiniCP Spare Parts are in good deal too. Have happy flying.

Terence
tterence is offline Find More Posts by tterence
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:42 PM
Joined May 2012
253 Posts
The mailman is so close I can see him! The wait is almost over
Neoneo is offline Find More Posts by Neoneo