HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 19, 2012, 12:59 PM
Joined Nov 2007
44 Posts
My new C05M suddenly cannot starts properly, sometime starts slowly and shaking, after a long inspection finally found that it was damaged by the mounting screw, the coating of the coils were damaged and short circuit. Now I separated the damaged coils by using a needle, seems the motor works again. Anything I can apply on the damaged coating to protects the coils or I need to rewind it? May be need to buy a new one ...
pauliu is offline Find More Posts by pauliu
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2012, 01:46 PM
Registered Canopy Crusher
United Kingdom, Scotland, Insch
Joined Apr 2012
61 Posts
Quick question on telemetry for the devo 8s. What would you recommend for the voltage / temperature warnings?

I've got the battery at 3.4v but I haven't got a clue about the (stock) motor... how hot is too hot?
weeb is offline Find More Posts by weeb
Old May 19, 2012, 02:27 PM
Joined Aug 2009
4,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauliu View Post
My new C05M suddenly cannot starts properly, sometime starts slowly and shaking, after a long inspection finally found that it was damaged by the mounting screw, the coating of the coils were damaged and short circuit. Now I separated the damaged coils by using a needle, seems the motor works again. Anything I can apply on the damaged coating to protects the coils or I need to rewind it? May be need to buy a new one ...
I think 100? or more years ago, transformer wires were coated with lacquer (varnish, shellac).

If you don't already have lacquer (varnish, shellac), then since you only need to coat the outer most winding, you probably could make use with almost any non conducting glue: White Glue (Elmer's), Hot Glue, Liquid Electrical Tape, Silicone RTV, etc.

I think I've read some of the C05 Motor mounting screws are too long for use with the Mini's Main Frame, and if used will bottom out into the C05 Motor's internal windings. It sounds like you've confirmed this, and to prevent it from happening again may need to use shorter screws. If you can't find or make shorter mounting screws, then maybe use an appropriate thickness washer.
i812 is online now Find More Posts by i812
Old May 19, 2012, 02:51 PM
Joined Aug 2009
4,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeb View Post
Quick question on telemetry for the devo 8s. What would you recommend for the voltage / temperature warnings?

I've got the battery at 3.4v but I haven't got a clue about the (stock) motor... how hot is too hot?
Starting from ambient temperature, by the time my Mini's LiPo reaches the end of it's flight cycle, the Mini's Main Motor feels almost too hot to touch (> 150* F), so I don't fly it anymore and let it rest until it cools back to ambient temperature.

Although I like having the TX Alarm when the Mini's LiPo discharges below a certain Voltage, I don't see a benefit with having a Temperature Alarm setting for the Mini. If I was able to fly atleast one LiPo cycle without the Main Motor getting over 150*, then I'd do so and use the Temperature Alarm to activate when the Motor reached a "hot" temperature; however, IMO this feature is not required with the Mini because only one complete LiPo cycle is enough to make the Main Motor reach "hot". Although I don't use the Temperature Alarm feature, I do sometimes look at the Motor Temperature when I'm in a hurry and want to make certain the Main Motor has cooled down enough before flying again.
i812 is online now Find More Posts by i812
Last edited by i812; May 20, 2012 at 02:11 PM. Reason: grammar
Old May 21, 2012, 08:57 AM
Registered Canopy Crusher
United Kingdom, Scotland, Insch
Joined Apr 2012
61 Posts
Thanks for that i812... Next Question, I'm looking to get a decent charger what would you (and by you I mean you all) recommend for the MCP?

Also, what connectors etc. are required? I've been looking at balance chargers and getting an adapter for charging 3 or more bats at the same time but I've done so much "research" I'm just getting myself confused... any pointers are greatly appreciated.
weeb is offline Find More Posts by weeb
Old May 21, 2012, 09:53 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,125 Posts
Moved
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old May 21, 2012, 03:12 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Just sold my v120d02 because i was tired of replacing tt gears and just now placed an order for a mini cp, so i hope it doesn't let me down! Looks like a nice little bird though, and this thread looks helpful, thanks for the write up Tom
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto
Old May 22, 2012, 04:04 AM
Joined May 2011
655 Posts
fw update v1.1 for the Mini CP

There is a fw update available for the Mini CP on the Walkera site:
http://www.walkera.com/cn/soft_up/so...676_MiniCP.zip
FDR_ is offline Find More Posts by FDR_
Old May 25, 2012, 12:26 PM
Italy
Joined Sep 2007
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDR_ View Post
There is a fw update available for the Mini CP on the Walkera site:
http://www.walkera.com/cn/soft_up/so...676_MiniCP.zip
Just arrived the cable, and done the update.
Everything was fine during the update, now it shows v 1.1
Noticed no difference in the first flight, but I think more tests should be done.
dado099 is offline Find More Posts by dado099
Old May 28, 2012, 10:43 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
I posted this video on another thread but figured i ought to go ahead and post it here too.

I got my Mini cp in on saturday and have been having fun with it in the backyard. It's tiny, the same size as the cb100 but a lot quicker and flippable It feels a little sluggish but i just got the standard motor version. I wanted something little i can take with me places and figure i can upgrade to brushless later if i decide. So, it does the job The battery doesn't last long at all like i had read, but my cb100 batts don't fit so i need to place an order for more since i've been flying on one.

I've been messing aorund with the devo 7 and I think i got most of it. It's miles better than the 2603 and much closer to the 2801, but not quite there. It has almost all of the features but the menu's would make it very hard for somebody just getting into this hobby, which is probably a large chunk of devo7 users. The screen isn't All Points Adjustable like the 2801 so it can't do graphics such as the graphs, which helped me understand what the heck i was changing when i was learning. Even now i thought i had the tx set up for stunt mode and I spent at least two batteries trying to figure out why i couldn't punch out of an inverted hover, turns out i had point one in my st2 throttle curve active and super low, oops haha, luckily I made that mistake on a crash resistant heli. Other than that it seems like a solid controller with plenty of options. My 2c. Worst thing they did was make it not backward compatible, ah well.

Here is a video of my new mini cp, along with a crash. I've been through a handful or two of batteries and at least as many crashes and it holds up great. Only replaced a tail boom and wrapped the tail motor wire on the outside for easier future replacement, it went quick and I'm already greatful I didn't have to deal with the v120 tt gears. Oh, and it doesn't have a slow start so don't try, lol

MiniCp test flight.MP4 (3 min 4 sec)
Old May 28, 2012, 11:09 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
I was thinking, with the warm summer nights this would make a great night flyer, neighbors wouldn't hear it at all. Has anybody tried to strap some lightweight LED's on it yet?
Old May 29, 2012, 02:21 PM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,080 Posts
Mini-CP vs v120d02s sports flying.

Is is easier to learn sports flying (inverts, loops and rolls) on MCP or v120d02s? I can fly circuits very well with my v120d02s, however I don't have nerve to try inverts, loops and rolls on it. Can do it on my flight sim. Thinking fo getting MCP to learn.

V120d02s with TT tail and more powerful motor, I assume would be easier to invert, roll and flip right? The MCP is lighter and more durable and fly in smaller space, but it may be more difficult?
Torch8 is offline Find More Posts by Torch8
Old May 29, 2012, 02:28 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch8 View Post
Is is easier to learn sports flying (inverts, loops and rolls) on MCP or v120d02s? I can fly circuits very well with my v120d02s, however I don't have nerve to try inverts, loops and rolls on it. Can do it on my flight sim. Thinking fo getting MCP to learn.

V120d02s with TT tail and more powerful motor, I assume would be easier to invert, roll and flip right? The MCP is lighter and more durable and fly in smaller space, but it may be more difficult?
The V120D02S is more capable than the Mini CP as a basic 3D trainer which in turn is more capable than the Genius CP or MCPx. The problem is that it is much less durable. For simple flips, it may be easier to start off with the V120D02S. They are just much harder to do on the stock Mini CP. However for inverted hovering and flight, it is best to go back to the Mini CP, otherwise it gets very expensive with stripped servos on the V120D02S. Although stripped servos also occur with the MiniCP, they occur at a much lower frequency. I have only had one in over 150 3D flights with the Mini CP.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old May 29, 2012, 02:30 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch8 View Post

Mine could use a little more powerful motor, but after adjusting the gyro pot that helped quicken the flip and roll rates a bit.

As far as v120 vs Minicp, i am glad i sold my v120 for a mini cp. The 120 is a great little heli to fly, but that tail strips way too easy, and if you break a tail boom you have to take everything apart to replace it. The mini cp seems much more crash resistant and easier to fix when something does break, so when learning stunts to me that's more important. I tried my first roll on my mini cp during my lunch break today, then did a couple more If you get this one just get a bunch of extra batteries cause they really don't last long at all. I start to lose power after only about 2 minutes and have to recharge. And if you have the extra cash start off with the brushless version for the extra power.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 08:48 PM
Joined May 2012
253 Posts
mini cp 3d

does anyone know of a good tutorial on 3d flight. I've seen a dozen youtube videos and they show super fast stick movements, with the heli doing what seems like random flips. i can only look at 1 at a time smh. anyway, any links or info would help. i think I've figured most of them out in my head. but I'm not just going to go trying that out on my mini cp. especially since i haven't done the servo saver mod. I'm not going to doing it till i find a good o ring to wrap around the servo arm. i bought the feather shaft the bytemuncher suggested but it is WAY to small to fit on there. tomorrow I'm going to a hobby shop to see if i can get a pencil solder, heat shrink tube, a nice fitting o ring, and CA glue (can't find that anywhere. I'm in jersey, so its a good hike to the closest hobby shop. they've never even heard of the mini cp). and i must have glue issues, every single time I've used super glue it never gets hard. is there some trick I'm missing. i put some on the tail boom stick to make it stronger over an hour ago. its still wet. i touched it with a small screwdriver and its not even close to dry. just bought it from lowes today and it says it dries in 10 seconds. i put it up to a light bulb, it started dripping more, i put it on my AC vent for a few minutes, still wet. smh the last time i bought some i had let it sit over night and it was still as wet as when i put it on. so needless to say, my tail boom is sitting out over night, hope its dry in the morning.
Neoneo is offline Find More Posts by Neoneo