HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2012, 06:29 PM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Mini-Review
Walkera Mini CP Review - Pictures, Video, Flight Times, Head Speed, Brushless Upgrade

Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
Last edited by Tom Z; Jul 17, 2013 at 10:26 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2012, 06:31 PM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Last edited by Tom Z; Jul 17, 2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 07:00 PM
Fairfield County, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Great job on the guide, very informative. Is the stock mini cp pinion the same as a mod .5 1.5mm bore homefly 8t pinion? Also at what voltage should one stop flying? Lastly, do you think you could take a close up of where the C05 bolts in to the frame as well as any mods needed to get it in properly?

Thanks,
Ben
Benf207 is offline Find More Posts by Benf207
Old Mar 18, 2012, 07:40 PM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Thanks Ben,

Here is a picture I edited for you. The other picture is from my mCPX review.
The Genius CP and Mini CP will use the mCPX mounting holes (with the blue arrows) in my picture.
The only mod you may need to do is to lengthen the motor mount holes on the frame a little bit.
This will depend on what size pinion you use and if you use the Mini CP
or Genius CP main gear. The stock brush main motor screws work great for the C05 motor.
If you use the motor and esc plugs then it is a simple plug and play upgrade.
I use connectors because I test many motors and pinions for my reviews.

The stock Mini CP motor pinion is 1mm.

Different people stop flying at different voltages. I don't go lower than 3.6V.
Some people don't go that low and some people go even lower.

Tom
Last edited by Tom Z; Jul 10, 2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:10 PM
Joined Jan 2012
131 Posts
Great job !
54885488 is offline Find More Posts by 54885488
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:12 PM
Fairfield County, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Great, that was just what I was looking for. Thanks!

Ben
Benf207 is offline Find More Posts by Benf207
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:22 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2007
1,103 Posts
Cracking review as always.

Always enjoy reading them and love the bullet points, etc.
Username> is offline Find More Posts by Username>
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:37 AM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
Wonderful review. How about you add flight times with the genius motor too? with genius main and with mini maingear.
mescalinedream is offline Find More Posts by mescalinedream
Old Mar 19, 2012, 01:29 PM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Thanks guys for the compliments.

I have now added Turnigy Nano-tech 300mAh 35C battery flight times
in the brushless section. I had to make an adapter to use these batteries
on the MCP. I posted a couple pictures of the adapter.
I'll add head speed also soon with the Nano-tech battery.

mescalinedream, I would like to know that also. I wanted to test the GCP motor
on the MCP but I took off the pinion on the GCP to use on my C05 motor when I made the GCP brushless last year.

Tom
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:36 PM
Joined Aug 2009
4,962 Posts
Below are some mods many people believe should be done to the Mini CP as soon as possible:
  • Servo Saver mod - Bytemuncher's RCG Blog has detailed info. HeHenri posted how to make a DIY Wire Spring Tensioner for the Servo Saver Mod. And Indoorheli has reported not fully tightening the Main Shaft Collar Screw also prevents stripping Servo Gears.

• RX Saver Mod - Attach a somewhat stiff support from bottom of Battery Tray so it extends inside the bottom of the Canopy and helps keep the Canopy from easily sliding upwards when it is hit from the bottom. Marioinc posted details. I think if this mod (or any other mod that keeps the bottom of the Canopy from easily pivoting upward) is performed, then there might not be a need to do the RX Coil Saver mod.

• Canopy Saver Mod - Apply a strip of tape along the entire bottom edge of the Canopy. The Canopy is very durable; however, it easily splits starting from the bottom edge, and then over time the split travels towards the nose. Hopefully taping the entire bottom edge of the Canopy will prevent splits from starting.

• RX Coil Saver mod - Apply adhesive (Hot Glue, X2 White Gorilla Glue, CA, etc.) to Coil at front lower right corner of RX board, so Coil doesn't break when Canopy is taken off (in a crash?). If the Coil lead(s) has broken from the PWB and the lead(s) is too short to re-solder to the PWB, it can be carefully unwound as required (one of the Coil's leads easily unwinds one loop at a time from the outside inwards; however the other lead has its end exposed but immediately get buried under all the windings - if that lead is too short, probably the other lead will need to be completely unwound, so the coil can be rewound with long enough leads at each end), rewind as necessary (depending on which Coil wire lead broke from PWB), and re-solder as required. I think the Coil can be replaced for about $0.35 + $2.80 shipping from DigiKey.com; however, we should get one and verify it works before publicizing the Part Number.

• RX Antenna end - Keep it as vertical as possible - this will keep its exposed bare tip from electrically shorting against the Motor or RX circuitry, and have the Antenna positioned for best signal reception. Some people feel safer insulating (Liquid Electrical Tape, X2 White Gorilla Glue, Hot Glue, Heatshrink, etc.) the exposed wire at the tip of Antenna.

After the Servo Holder's - Canopy Holder Rod breaks from a strong crash, Hot Glue a 38 mm (1.5 inch) length of 1 mm CF Rod centered across the back of the Servo Holder above the Servo Holder Guide Pin and Screw Head. If at a later time the Servo Holder needs to be removed, the Hot Glue and Canopy Holder Rod can be removed as required.
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Last edited by i812; Apr 02, 2013 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Update Mods
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:26 PM
Perpetually covered in resin
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2011
555 Posts
Tried to tell people the 300mah 35c Nanotechs rock for this heli but they just said "no no no they suck!"

You, Tom Z, have validated my point =)

Wish the 350mah 65-130c nanos would fit, 10mm too wide and 14g though =(
RawmadeCF is offline Find More Posts by RawmadeCF
Last edited by RawmadeCF; Mar 19, 2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:00 PM
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Dec 2010
575 Posts
4 minutes down to 3.7v with a c05 using 300mah nano-tech batteries isn't that impressive. is that aggressive 3D or sport flying?.. 30 seconds more compared to the hyperion 240.. my hyperion are still going strong even after 80 cycles.
scub is offline Find More Posts by scub
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:53 PM
Joined Dec 2011
555 Posts
They are $1.82, compared to the Hyp 240 at what, $5+? More performance and flight time at a third of the price is pretty good in my book.
I never said its the best lipo on the market, but that the performance to ratio is fantastic.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 04:28 AM
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Dec 2010
575 Posts
actually they're $4
i just haven't seen any long term feedback on the nano-tech. im not bashing them as i actually bought 6 950mah for my v120. i just hope they last a bit, even if i get 50~ cycles.. im just amazed how the hyperion are performing as good if not better than when they were new after 80 cycles. i did buy some zippy 350mah that will fit the mini and they're only 8.7g. good reviews from what i read. still waiting for them to arrive.

discount link since i just bought them
http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...9-EAD017E759C3

got a C05M on the way, hoping to get at least 5 minutes sport flying. i haven't come across any other brushless that provide better flight time with decent performance. it's strange because my v120 gets 6 minutes sport flying with stock motor and stock battery mini/genius brushless setups seem to drain battery.
scub is offline Find More Posts by scub
Last edited by scub; Mar 20, 2012 at 04:44 AM.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 04:46 AM
Joined Dec 2011
555 Posts
Yeah I bought 8 of the Zippy 350s too, waiting for them. They just arrived/left NY customs a couple days ago.