HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:34 PM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
1,914 Posts
Battery's

I did another tub test, and with the way I laid out the motor and servo, I can get a full size (sub c), 5 cell flat pack on either side of the motor. I will still have about 12oz of weight needed in the back of the boat, and 2-4oz in the bow. CB
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:49 AM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,064 Posts
Looks great Charlie, nice lay-out. Nothin' beats large, in-focus shots.
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:38 AM
some what irregular
Diamond Bar, California
Joined Feb 2004
1,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCB View Post
Here is how I laid out the motor and servo. The motor mount is Aluminum and wood, and the servo mount is made out of 1/8'' G-10, epoxy-glass sheet. Both are glued together, and into the hull, with GORILLA, CA glue, and some speed spray, to set it off as needed. CB
where do you get the G-10? and the little blue goobers that are covering the grease ports on da stuffing tubes?
dostacos is offline Find More Posts by dostacos
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:32 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,914 Posts
Dan

The G-10 came from my scrap pile, as most all the boats I have built in the last 15+ years, have G-10 decks, and sub decks. Not a real easy material to fab, but properly installed, it's almost indestructible. The BLUE caps, are just vinyl automotive vacume caps, that I have shortened. The current goal is to have it pushing a barge, at Riverside. I get the G-10 from a Plastics House, by Angels Stadium. CB
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:16 PM
1/2 a bubble off
United States, NY, Schenectady
Joined Mar 2011
843 Posts
Multipurpose Garolite (G-10)

I have bought some from McMaster before.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/3616/=jaobdf

Scroll down a little.
Apismelifera is offline Find More Posts by Apismelifera
Old Sep 19, 2012, 05:32 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,914 Posts
What i have gotten done recently

I am still hoping to run the boat Sunday, in Riverside. This is how the rudder linkage laid out, notice that the end links are 90 degrees, to the push rod. Here are some semi-painted, and hull painted, shots. And yes, there are some hand made Aluminum parts, on the hull. The channel on the push knees is the same dimensions as the kit parts, just machined out of one piece of Aluminum. I plan on using this boat a lot, so I did a bit of overkill, in some areas. CB
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:25 AM
victoria, bc
Joined Oct 2003
747 Posts
That looks like a heavy duty linkage setup - not very much play in that? I'm about to hook up two Springer linkages - is this worth a try?
Look forward to hearing how it runs on Sunday.
Thanks, Mike
mike_victoriaBC is offline Find More Posts by mike_victoriaBC
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:13 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,064 Posts
Hey... I want aluminum too!
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:17 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,914 Posts
Pat

Between the materials, and the many hours of work needed to make the parts, it would have at least doubled, the cost of the kit, to do anything like that. I have over two days, of hand mill, and lathe work, to make the parts. Then cleanup with file and sandpaper. That was after I acquired the raw materials, and figured out the dimensions. I just wanted the ability to MISUSE the boat, and hopefully not break anything. My other pushboats, are built the same way. CB
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:22 PM
some what irregular
Diamond Bar, California
Joined Feb 2004
1,026 Posts
why do you have the control link crossing over the centerline? It seems that you would have better access to the refill tubes for the stuffing tubes if the servo was on the same side as the control horn of the rudder. just wondering...
dostacos is offline Find More Posts by dostacos
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:58 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCB View Post
Between the materials, and the many hours of work needed to make the parts, it would have at least doubled, the cost of the kit, to do anything like that. I have over two days, of hand mill, and lathe work, to make the parts. Then cleanup with file and sandpaper. That was after I acquired the raw materials, and figured out the dimensions. I just wanted the ability to MISUSE the boat, and hopefully not break anything. My other pushboats, are built the same way. CB
Aw shucks...
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:02 PM
Keep a Steady Strain....
Orange County, CA
Joined Nov 2007
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodybob View Post
Aw shucks...
The molded polymer bulwarks are nicer anyways...
capntroy is online now Find More Posts by capntroy
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:43 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,914 Posts
Dostacos and all,

The reason I offset the rudder servo was to not have it, over the driveline. I need to be able to access the universal driveshaft parts, both with an allen wrench, and the Dogbone, with my fingers. I experimented with several different layouts, and this seemed to be the best for access, after, the deck is on. CB
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:07 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,533 Posts
Looking good Charlie. Have to get a couple more photos of mine now that I have my home made motor mount glued in and awating the power system to the prop! not much room inside once the lid is on and had to do the same as far as figuring out easiest access to any part that may need work.
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:34 PM
victoria, bc
Joined Oct 2003
747 Posts
Think we forget how much smaller the working area is from a Springer or Alan B style hull. Looks good!
mike_victoriaBC is offline Find More Posts by mike_victoriaBC