Old Aug 22, 2012, 03:09 PM
Keep a Steady Strain....
Orange County, CA
Joined Nov 2007
1,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDH View Post
Young Padwan I am not. Get building!
C'mon Darrin, you know you have time to fit one of these in between your airboat build...
capntroy is offline Find More Posts by capntroy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2012, 03:54 PM
BUILD SOMETHING!
United States, CA, Avalon
Joined Oct 2002
697 Posts
I don't even have time for the air boat right now.

D
CaptDH is online now Find More Posts by CaptDH
Old Aug 22, 2012, 05:19 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,115 Posts
Springer thread anyone?
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:01 PM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
2,128 Posts
It is defiantly NOT a Springer! A Springer is 18'' long x 8'' beam, and cannot easily be carried on an Airliner, to go to events anywhere. CB
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:14 PM
no such thing as to many boats
United States, NY, New York
Joined May 2010
1,914 Posts
That's cool carry on I can take it on vacation nice what until my girlfriend finds out hehe.
louie R/C NUT is online now Find More Posts by louie R/C NUT
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:18 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphhager View Post
...Please put your build thread here so we can track it, and use your ideas. Thanks Ralph
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCB View Post
It is defiantly NOT a Springer! A Springer is 18'' long x 8'' beam,... CB
"Springer thread" was a reference to that quagmire on DockTalk, not to this little jewel.
Build thread coming...
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:22 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodybob View Post
Springer thread anyone?
Oh no! Don't let these get swallowed up in that black hole of a thread! Dozens of Springer's have been lost in there.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:29 PM
Keep a Steady Strain....
Orange County, CA
Joined Nov 2007
1,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodybob View Post
"Springer thread" was a reference to that quagmire on DockTalk, not to this little jewel.
Build thread coming...
I knew what you were cooking Pat! Looking forward to your build...

I should have the instruction sheets emailed to you guys in a day or so.
capntroy is offline Find More Posts by capntroy
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:08 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,128 Posts
My running gear layout

Now that some of you have your kits, these photo's should give you an idea of how I installed my rudder, prop, and shaft. Notice that there is a THRUST WASHER, between the prop and stuffing box. There will be one on the universal drive end to. If you need, I can give you the prop hub to skeg and rudder spacing that I used, but it may be different, depending on the prop used. Troy and I are using Prop Shop props. I ran the rear edge of the rudder, even with the back of the hull. Charlie
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:20 PM
Joined May 2010
1,914 Posts
Quote:
Now that some of you have your kits, these photo's should give you an idea of how I installed my rudder, prop, and shaft. Notice that there is a THRUST WASHER, between the prop and stuffing box. There will be one on the universal drive end to. If you need, I can give you the prop hub to skeg and rudder spacing that I used, but it may be different, depending on the prop used. Troy and I are using Prop Shop props. I ran the rear edge of the rudder, even with the back of the hull. Charlie
what size prop is that.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:56 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,128 Posts
Running Gear in Boat #1

We used a 1.5'' dai. 4-bld, it fits a 4mm shaft. If you are using a gearbox, as we are, the part number is PS1517/4R. We got both props, and shafts/stuffing box's from Harbor Models. I turned the tail cone off the prop's, and shortened the stuffing box and shaft. I also added a grease tube to the stuffing box. The rudder stuffing box was made using K&S tubing, and some bushings from Northwest Shortline. The .060'' thrust washers I used, I made from black DELRIN. Charlie
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:25 PM
Joined May 2010
1,914 Posts
Quote:
We used a 1.5'' dai. 4-bld, it fits a 4mm shaft. If you are using a gearbox, as we are, the part number is PS1517/4R. We got both props, and shafts/stuffing box's from Harbor Models. I turned the tail cone off the prop's, and shortened the stuffing box and shaft. I also added a grease tube to the stuffing box. The rudder stuffing box was made using K&S tubing, and some bushings from Northwest Shortline. The .060'' thrust washers I used, I made from black DELRIN. Charlie
Thanks for the info.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:47 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,128 Posts
Our running gear choices

This is the list of running gear, and sources, that Troy and I picked for our boats. We plan on USING them, so we are using good equipment, that should last. The gearbox is a smaller version of the one I have had in COOS BAY, for the last 5+ years, I also like the Heat Sink motor mounts, just extra safety. Charlie
Old Aug 24, 2012, 02:59 PM
some what irregular
Diamond Bar, California
Joined Feb 2004
1,026 Posts
where do we get the motor, mount and gearbox?
dostacos is offline Find More Posts by dostacos
Old Aug 24, 2012, 04:02 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,128 Posts
Truckable Parts

The motor mount and gearbox, are from MAXX Products. The motor can be any 6V, LOW DRAW, Med RPM, 380-400 size motor. The gearbox comes with 3 pinion gears, approx. 2-1, 2.5-1, and 3-1. Troy may still have some 385 motors, from when he owned Harbor Models. I am going with the 3-1 gears, easier on the motor, and longer run times. As for the glue question above, I would use TENAX-7R. liquid solvent , for the Styrene, and GORILLA Super Glue, when gluing parts that are not all styrene. Slight sanding (180-220) to have a surface for the CA to grab, will make for a stronger joint. CB