HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2012, 01:00 PM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
2,128 Posts
New Product
1/24 Truckable Towboat hull in fiberglass

I brought this over from mini/ micro, because it is a scale project. Is there any interest in a 1/24th, single screw, Truckable Towboat hull in fiberglass? It is a personal project for me. I have had help from the Bozinator, and CapnTroy. The hull is 12'' long x 5.5'' wide, displacement should be approx. 3.5lbs. We have done a custom Schilling rudder for it.There are other parts that we are doing, all hi-tech, some designed, and fabed, by various CNC technologies. IF really interested, PM me. CaptCB
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2012, 04:32 PM
In The Sorrano Triangle
El Dorado Hills, Calif
Joined Mar 2005
1,023 Posts
jim
BOZINATOR is offline Find More Posts by BOZINATOR
Last edited by BOZINATOR; Aug 16, 2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:13 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,128 Posts
1/24 Truckable Towboat

I will explaine, what I am doing with this project. I wanted a boat that was not TOO small, and that would hold it's own at a scale regatta, or, with the smaller (18-24'') tugs, at a tugboat regatta. I am planing on using a 1.5'', 4bld prop, witch I have. The rudder that we are making, is from a CNC master, based on Schilling engineering info. It will look just like the prototype. The wheelhouse is copied after the style of one that is currently being used on new builds, of this type of boat. Exact dimensions, are our own. The parts are being cut out by CNC. While this is a personal project, for Troy and myself, Hulls and some of the other parts, will be available for purchase. It may wind up, as a semi-kit. This is the first project that we have made available to others, since he sold Harbor Models. ALSO, much thanks goes to Jim, the Bozinator, as without his part in this project, it would not be happening, at this time. CaptCB
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:18 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,128 Posts
1/24 Truckable

I am not going to do a "build log", but, will put up photo's, as we get the parts done, and I get around to assembling my boat. My fiberglass guy said I should have hull #1, next week. CB
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:48 PM
In The Sorrano Triangle
El Dorado Hills, Calif
Joined Mar 2005
1,023 Posts
jim
Last edited by BOZINATOR; Aug 16, 2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 02:16 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,128 Posts
Hulls

Normal color for the gellcoat is white, I can get black, or another color, but there is a extra charge. I prefer white, as for hull layout work, I use extra fine Sharpie's. Hull thickness should be between 1/32'' and 1/16'' overall. I asked that they be done like previous small hulls, they have done for me. CaptCB
Old Mar 23, 2012, 06:54 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,759 Posts
This thread is useless without PICTURES---!
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Mar 23, 2012, 08:42 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,128 Posts
Kap

Sorry Karl, I did not take any good photo's, of the hull or rudder masters. Will photograph, and post, as soon as I have the first parts. This project started life as just a boat for myself, and possibly one for Troy. Charlie
Old Mar 23, 2012, 08:49 AM
jda
Fossil builder
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2006
436 Posts
We have a WWII truckable tug here on the TN river. Am interested in those pictures to see what you have in the works. jda
jda is offline Find More Posts by jda
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:25 AM
In The Sorrano Triangle
El Dorado Hills, Calif
Joined Mar 2005
1,023 Posts
jim
Last edited by BOZINATOR; Aug 16, 2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:49 PM
victoria, bc
Joined Oct 2003
772 Posts
Try hair curlers for the stacks and doctor from there - some resemble those -
mike_victoriaBC is online now Find More Posts by mike_victoriaBC
Old Mar 23, 2012, 04:28 PM
In The Sorrano Triangle
El Dorado Hills, Calif
Joined Mar 2005
1,023 Posts
jim
Last edited by BOZINATOR; Aug 16, 2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 06:59 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,128 Posts
Possible Build Ideas

If you punch in: "Truckable Towboats", as the Bozinator did, to get the photo he posted, you will get some ideas. The photo he posted, is one of the ones, we have been using as reference. I am not good enough with the computer, to post all of the photo's, that I have printed, as reference for this project. I am also attaching the photo's from "John The Scale Boat's", build, in 1/32. I just thought that to use the model at regattas's, a larger boat was needed, that would handle better, in other than smooth water, with no wind. As I tend to run in a 5-10mph wind, and 1-2'' waves. Sorry, I guess it will not let me show the photo's, of his model. CaptCB
Last edited by CaptCB; Mar 24, 2012 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Cannot show photo's.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:42 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,128 Posts
Kort Nozzles

I will answer Jim's question here, so all may contemplate. I have made a small steerable nozzle (like a mini Robbe), about 10 years ago, it fits any of the small push boat hulls that I have made. It would fit the 12'' hull, also. We have made a mold, and have cast several. I was going to use the machined metal original, on one of my boats. BUT, I decided that at slow speed, like in docking, a rudder would be better. My 25'' Hartman has a Robbe nozzle, and there have been a few times when I wished, I had a rudder. I think on a small hull that this might be more of a problem. But we have a mold, if anyone wants one. It will fit the 16'' MicroGlass hull also. CaptCB