HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:55 AM
Joined Mar 2012
16 Posts
Question
Need advice on purchasing my first quad please.

Hi guys,

I hope this is not a duplicated thread and apologies if it is. I'm new to the group

I spent the morning reading an old thread started by theVenerable (TV) when he was new to quads and you guys were awesome and helped him out no end. Well things seem to be moving very quickly in the world of QuadCopters from what I've been reading and I guess a lot has changed in 6 months or so.

Anyway. To get to the point. I have some experience flying micro helis and have a Horizon Hobby Blade MSR which I can fly OK. Took some learning though as it is a main rotor, tail rotor flybar combo and not in any way as simple to fly as those counter rotating toys. Anyway. I also shoot video and would like a quad to play around with shooting aerial stuff.

I first looked at getting a Blade MQX with a keychain camera but then I saw the Quad Pod which looks a whole lot less of a toy with it's brushless motors and ESCs etc.

Basically I want something that will carry a decent payload. Enough to lift a GoPro HD Hero 2 camera which I believe is about 170g, maybe a bit more with a mount.

So the Quad Pod is one option for me however I am not all that scared of building one using parts and an off the shelf frame as I have some soldering skills and I have a budget that can stretch to around 200.

I already own a Spektrum DX6i Transmitter and and AR6210 DSMX receiver (both 6 channel if you're not familiar with the make) so that saves me having to spend about 120 of my budget on RC gear.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I have information overload right now and you guys might just be able to guide me in the right direction.

For me as I want to shoot smooth fly by style video stability in light winds is more important than stunt flying and I would like the ability to add more features (GPS, altitude lock etc) in future to it however I don't really want to have to flash firmware and solder boards (harnesses are fine but I don't want to bugger anything up before I get off the ground).

I'm in Nottingham by the way so if any of you are from my neck of the woods I'd be up for a meet some time.

Thanks in advance for your advice guys.
Raboon (My real name's Paul BTW).
Papa Raboon is offline Find More Posts by Papa Raboon
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2012, 06:02 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Nov 2010
1,839 Posts
Get naza. Or a mikrokopter
hexa is offline Find More Posts by hexa
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:41 PM
Joined Mar 2012
16 Posts
Both Naza and Mikrokopter are far too far from my budget of 150 to 200 so I am hoping to build my first quadcopter to save a few quid.

I've done some more research and I am planning on ordering an X525 frame from Hobbyking (I'd use goodluckbuy for the free postage but from what I've read it's not worth the risk of having missing bits).

Anyway, I am looking at a set of turnigy aerodrive sk3 2826 1240 brushless motors but I was wondering what ESCs I would need? I'm assuming the max loading of the motors is the guide for amps as far as ESCs are concerned and these motors are 16A max loading so does that mean 20A ESCs are adequate as they seem to suggest using 25A ESCs in their shopping cart's suggestions area?

As for a controller. I'm thinking of using the KK board (IC: Atmega168PA, Gyro: Murata Piezo) they seem reasonably priced and then if I can afford it I will replace the board eventually with a more capable one. It's only 9.29

They are also offering an accompanying power distribution board rated at 20A for the KK board which looks great. Or do you recommend soldering my own power harness instead and going up to 30A ESCs?

I am going to eventually buy a Gopro camera and rig it up for a bit of amateur aerial video so if you think I should change any of the spec of this build just say but I have about 150 max to play with. I have a Spektrum dx6i controller and a receiver as well already.

Cheers for your help.

Paul
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:45 PM
Joined Mar 2012
16 Posts
Finally bought myself a quad. A little flamewheel f330 replica second hand for 80.

Bound and set up with my DX6i

Nice size for a starter quad and weighs only 750g with a 2200 11.1v LiPo.

Maiden flight tomorrow in an empty field. Nothing crazy. Just going to get used to some head height hovering and playing with the trims.

It'll be interesting to compare how it flys to my Blade MSR

Wish me luck guys :-)
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:06 PM
Joined May 2012
585 Posts
good luck just take it easy and hover no more then about 5 feet till you get the hang of it
gitit20 is offline Find More Posts by gitit20