HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:14 AM
Calgary Alberta, Canada
Joined Feb 2008
257 Posts
Discussion
Trouble shooting Sailmaking

I have built a set of IOM sails, using sailblocks as described in many books, and web articles. They look great finished, not much draft in them, but they will only set on one side. I made them out of 3mil PET previous try i aliggned the seams with the role but that put a huge curve in sails because then went with the curve of the roll. The current set i built i made the other way so if there was any rolling it would be top to botom not side to side.

So I can not figure out why they set real nice on one side but not the other:
*maybe i just need to get then out on the water and let the wind settle them in?

Andrew
A.B. is offline Find More Posts by A.B.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2012, 12:31 PM
Whitby, ON, Canada
Joined Apr 2011
25 Posts
Andrew, you did not mention anything about Battens,

if you have not installed these your sail will not be able to keep the air flow attached all the way to the Leech. They are necessary for keeping the Leech from curling
Woodbark is offline Find More Posts by Woodbark
Old Mar 18, 2012, 01:37 PM
Canada, BC, Maple Ridge
Joined Jul 2011
464 Posts
Hi Andrew.

When taking the material off the roll, even used top to bottom, it will still try to curl. Did you reverse the sheets for each panel? This helps cancel the curl.

Also 3mm sounds a bit heavy and will be stiffer and more reluctant to flip that the more normal 2mm (some use 1.4mm for the A rig jib - but it wrinkles by just looking at at????).

John
hiljoball is offline Find More Posts by hiljoball
Old Mar 18, 2012, 04:27 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiljoball View Post

Also 3mm sounds a bit heavy and will be stiffer and more reluctant to flip that the more normal 2mm (some use 1.4mm for the A rig jib - but it wrinkles by just looking at at????).

John
That was my first reaction too when i converted to microns. It came out as about 75 microns, whereas 50 micron mylar is pretty standard and some use only 35 micron for weak winds.
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:31 PM
Calgary Alberta, Canada
Joined Feb 2008
257 Posts
Sorry, I was wrong it is 50 microns, and battens have been installed. I did not reverse the sheets.
A.B. is offline Find More Posts by A.B.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:19 PM
Canada, BC, Maple Ridge
Joined Jul 2011
464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.B. View Post
. I did not reverse the sheets.
I think this is the problem.

John
hiljoball is offline Find More Posts by hiljoball
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:08 PM
USA, IN, South Bend
Joined Jan 2011
10 Posts
Ripstop nylon and kite repair tape work very well for sail making. They both come in many colors, and "flip" easily. No battans required if you use two layers of tape, (one layer per side of the sail).
pocketcruiser13 is offline Find More Posts by pocketcruiser13
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:31 PM
Whitby, ON, Canada
Joined Apr 2011
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketcruiser13 View Post
Ripstop nylon and kite repair tape work very well for sail making. They both come in many colors, and "flip" easily. No battans required if you use two layers of tape, (one layer per side of the sail).
Do you mean using the tape in place of battens? And.... what weight of ripstop would you recommend for a one meter boat?
Woodbark is offline Find More Posts by Woodbark