HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:41 AM
Sailplane Mafia
United States, SC, Summerville
Joined Jun 2001
2,068 Posts
Discussion
Hobby King USA order high shipping charges

I never ordered from their USA source before. HobbyPartz as always is out of stock on the batteries I need. I am ordering 4 small zippy packs (each under 1300 3S) and I don't understand why the USA shipping is so much. All the batteries are clearly labeled as USA warehouse. Take a look:
gquiring is online now Find More Posts by gquiring
Last edited by gquiring; Mar 23, 2012 at 09:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:52 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,502 Posts
Already a similiar thread on this

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=hobby+king

Surprise it cost more to do business here in the USA but atleast we do not have 20% or more import duties such as some countries. Many US vendors charge $7.95 shipping and handling for a $2 item which gets them place very low on my vendors list.

This is indeed about batteries but reall needs to be down in the Vendo's Forum, IMO.

Another recent HK shipping thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1616131

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Mar 18, 2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:13 AM
Sailplane Mafia
Joined Jun 2001
2,068 Posts
Hi Charles, I would like to keep the topic in the battery area because we all buy lots of batteries and many of us from Hobby King. I just never imagined HK would have the balls to charge $17 dollars for UPS for 4 small 3s1300 and under packs. That is just wrong. Even the $10 USPS charge is crazy.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:34 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,502 Posts
I just ordered an item a few days ago that weighs 11 grams. and shipping was $7.95 for First class mail and the vendor is in the USA.

A week ago I ordered a $2.56 cable and shipping was $5.99 for first class mail angain in the USA. Neither of these items rrequired anty special packaging.

Ever hear of boycotting ? If their shipping cost gets under your skin they stop purchasing from them.

I am surprised that there is not a Hazardious shipping sur-charge being added to LiPoly shipments.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:35 AM
Rocky Mountain High
Colorado
Joined Nov 2006
195 Posts
Shipping Charges

HK now realizes what is cost us to run our businesses here in the U.S.A. Wages that our people can raise a family on, higher taxes, higher utilties, etc.

Several U.S. based vendors are selling batteries at a low margin with little or no shipping charged to our customers.
mtnflyer44 is offline Find More Posts by mtnflyer44
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:56 AM
Sailplane Mafia
Joined Jun 2001
2,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
I just ordered an item a few days ago that weighs 11 grams. and shipping was $7.95 for First class mail and the vendor is in the USA.

A week ago I ordered a $2.56 cable and shipping was $5.99 for first class mail angain in the USA. Neither of these items rrequired anty special packaging.

Ever hear of boycotting ? If their shipping cost gets under your skin they stop purchasing from them.

I am surprised that there is not a Hazardious shipping sur-charge being added to LiPoly shipments.

Charles
I would love to boycot them but HobbyPartz aka outofstock.com is useless.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:47 AM
Joined Feb 2008
2,646 Posts
Yeah, there's a thread going on on Helifreak about boycotting hobbypartz and buying from Hobbyking.

This reminds me of a very old joke:
Customer: Why is your hamburger $2 per lb when the butcher down the street charges $1?
Butcher: Why don't you buy from him?
Customer: He doesn't have any.
Butcher: When we don't have any the price is $.50 per lb!!!

I guess all the cheap vendors have issues.
Dave H. is offline Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:30 AM
Moorpark, Ca.
Joined Apr 2004
1,085 Posts
I guess I've been out of the HK loop. The last time I purchased from HK was a year or so ago, a $300 purchase from Hong Kong, mostely small stuff, half a dozen batteries, LED strips extensions...(I believe at the time, the USA wherehouse was not stocked very well). I paid $38.00 shipping. Didn't seem to bad for the total amount. I went to the USA web site yesterday to purchase 2 batteries & 2 charging distribution panels, $85.00 worth & the shipping from the USA wherehouse to Calif. turned out to be $43.00!!! I just canceled out of the purchase. I'll never buy from a company that pads their profit margin with wild shipping charges. HK has never been my go to supplier, but has now dropped the bottom of the list. Get a grip HK!!!

Rick
RickAvery is online now Find More Posts by RickAvery
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:03 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,642 Posts
On the sheet posted are 2 other options to the one quoted ($17).
USPS priority mail - 2-3 day, $10.58 (Just as fast and maybe faster than UPS)
USPS 5-6 day, $9.71

So 4 options are available,
3 ways of shipping and order somewhere else.

To me, when I see vendor ABCD charging me a high shipping price, I just shop elsewhere.

Let's check out those shipping costs using Web delivery service calulators.
4, 3s1000mah packs weigh 480g.

USPS shipping rate for a 1#1oz package from 98101 to 07747 priority mail is $10.40.
That's $0.18 different than HK quoted.

UPS Calculates as 2# package.
3 day delivery - $27.63
5-7 day delivery - $14.75

Looks to me the price problem could be with the delivery services. I would guess big users get different rates than I was quoted as an individual, just a hunch. How much different ?????

You can also look at headsuprc.com
They charge only $2 for shipping..
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Last edited by hoppy; Mar 21, 2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 09:18 AM
Sailplane Mafia
Joined Jun 2001
2,068 Posts
The USA warehouse is basically little savings, just quicker delivery times I would assume if they process orders promptly. I just compared a Turnigy charger from the USA warehouse vs the HK warehouse and the total with shipping (not EMS) is $112.51 vs $106.36 (slow USPS rate).
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:36 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,646 Posts
I finally gave up waiting for Gens Ace batteries at hobbypartz and ordered some different Hobbypartz batteries. The next day I got an email from Hobbypartz saying those other batteries were also out of stock.

So I gave up and went back to Hobbyking and prepared to be shocked by their outrageous shipping price.

Nope. 4 * 6S 3300mah batteries shipped by priority mail for $8.51. A pleasant surprise.
Dave H. is offline Find More Posts by Dave H.