Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:29 AM
Joined Sep 2011
126 Posts
Discussion
4S Life On Rustler VXL How Much Can It Reach?

Hi,

I Got Rustler VXL With Stock Motor And Mamba Monster Pro 1/10 ESC.

My 4S Life Is In It Way To Me.

I Wanted To Know How Much Speed I Can Reach With 4S 12.3V 30C 31/76 Gearing?

80MPH?

Also Ill Be Getting After I While Get Pro-Line 3.8" Road Rage Tire.
How Much On This Tires Ill Be Getting?

The Rustler VXL With Lipo 3S Is Crazy! But Motor Can Reach 100mph Less Price Than The MM?

Pro-Line 3.8" Road Rage Tire ====http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_26_58/products_id/217638/n/Pro-Line-38-Road-Rage-Tire-w-Desperado-17mm-1-2-Offset-MT-Wheel-Black-2

2 OF ====ZIPPY Flightmax 4200mAh 2S2P 30C LiFePo4 Pack: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14065
Wa7sh is offline Find More Posts by Wa7sh
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2012, 06:26 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,788 Posts
Keep in mind that 2s LiFe packs aren't much more voltage over a 3s LiPo. LiFe is 3.3v per cell nominal and LiPo is 3.7v per cell nominal. Over 4s, you're losing a fair amount of voltage.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Mar 19, 2012, 02:14 AM
Joined Sep 2011
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Keep in mind that 2s LiFe packs aren't much more voltage over a 3s LiPo. LiFe is 3.3v per cell nominal and LiPo is 3.7v per cell nominal. Over 4s, you're losing a fair amount of voltage.
I Want Life Because It Much Safer Than Lipo

12.3V! Good On Stock Motor
Old Mar 19, 2012, 01:06 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,788 Posts
Lipo's aren't that unsafe at all if handled properly, but my whole point was that 4s LiFe won't be much faster than 3s LiPo.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Sep 2011
126 Posts
Quote:
Lipo's aren't that unsafe at all if handled properly, but my whole point was that 4s LiFe won't be much faster than 3s LiPo.
13.2V Life 4S Wont Be Faster Than 11.1 3S Lipo???

Why Its Faster Higher Voltage=Faster Or What?

Even If Not Faster What About 6S Life 19.8V If Working Will The Stock Motor Handle That Power I'll Run It With Heat Sink And Fan.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:24 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,788 Posts
A fully charged 3s pack is 12.6v, not much lower than a 4s LiFe pack, that's all I meant.

The LiFe pack will be a bit faster, but not as fast as a 4s LiPo on the same motor/gearing/etc.

Can your ESC handle 6s LiFe? I doubt the motor will even if the ESC can.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:13 AM
Joined Sep 2011
126 Posts
Quote:
A fully charged 3s pack is 12.6v, not much lower than a 4s LiFe pack, that's all I meant.

The LiFe pack will be a bit faster, but not as fast as a 4s LiPo on the same motor/gearing/etc.

Can your ESC handle 6s LiFe? I doubt the motor will even if the ESC can.
My ESC Is Mamba Monster Pro 1/10 Can Handle 25.2V Thats 6S Lipo.

But The Stock Rustler VXL Motor Rating Is 3S MAX.

Will It Heat Or Will Work For A Time Then Breaks? If Heat No Problem Heat Sink + Fan.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:49 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,788 Posts
I wouldn't try 4s Lipo on the VXL motor, I don't think it will last long at all with it, even with cooling. It might be ok on 4s LiFe, but you'll have to watch temps and gearing.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 08:50 AM
United States, VA, Bedford
Joined Oct 2011
178 Posts
Quote:
I wouldn't try 4s Lipo on the VXL motor, I don't think it will last long at all with it, even with cooling. It might be ok on 4s LiFe, but you'll have to watch temps and gearing.
+1

3s max on the VXL motor. You'll fry the motor trying to run 4s, in all likelihood.
LaTuFu is offline Find More Posts by LaTuFu
Old Mar 31, 2012, 01:08 AM
Outdoor Extremist
Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2010
1,006 Posts
I wish I had video of what its like when you cook the esc and motor in a rusty vxl, i just started a thread because it happend to me earlier tonight, but let's just say this you have an expensive esc here bud, and the vxl motor isnt pocket change either so roughly your either a being very foolish by not listening to the advice or you want to learn the hard way but when you make the motor and esc burn on 4s which you will, because the motor is rated for 3s and running 4s is just plain foolish and dumb you prolly gonna melt the motor housing, esc plat, burn the body, melt the shock tower, melt wires etc...trust me from mine burning i have a melted and warped rpm esc mount, melted motor wires, (the bullet connector is all melted and warped) the screw holes have melted esc pad in them...so my advice to you is this, if you want to run 4s of any kind get a mamba max esc and a motor rated for 4s, probably an hpi one because they are becoming prevalent on ebay and mount that baby in and your good to go
rustlererad3 is offline Find More Posts by rustlererad3
Old Mar 31, 2012, 07:04 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,788 Posts
^^ He's looking at running 4s LiFe, not 4s LiPo... there's a decent voltage difference between the two.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:26 AM
Outdoor Extremist
Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2010
1,006 Posts
Yeah thats true however the stock rusty transmission wont stand up to that, unless he drops in a hardened robinson racing clutch, pinion and builds bulletproof transmission the truck isnt going to take it, Because 4s LiFe is about as powerful 3s LiPo maybe a little more but either way he needs to upgrade a lot of stuff to make it stand up to that kind of power, I know I have built transmissions and rebuilt my two Rusty VXL's that I race multiple times
Old Mar 31, 2012, 01:26 PM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
411 Posts
I maybe wrong dude but, can the vxl handle 4s life. The motor might but i don't think the esc could.
traxx de maxx is offline Find More Posts by traxx de maxx
Old Mar 31, 2012, 02:47 PM
Outdoor Extremist
Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2010
1,006 Posts
Well I got curious and started reading this morning and theres no clear cut answer so far but heres what it sounds like, the motor is rated for 3s, now I am an engineer so if we look at it from the engineering point of view its designed to optimally preform at the given motor rating of 2s to 3s lipo however it will run 4s but its detremental to the life of the motor...also if we just looked at from a different point of view and that is frying electronics, the motor doesnt have a long life span typically on 3s because its so much power and more importantly think about what the motor is feeding in the transmission, stock there is not a 100 percent metal transmission they come with a plastic idler gear so on the 3s the idler is known to melt and also the pin that holds the input shaft on the spur is known to shear off on 3s after a limited amount of time...all this leads me to the conclusion that 4s is a bad idea, want to run 4s get a castle set up
Old Apr 01, 2012, 10:18 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by traxx de maxx View Post
I maybe wrong dude but, can the vxl handle 4s life. The motor might but i don't think the esc could.
Check the first post, he has a mamba monster esc, it'll easily take the voltage and amperage.