Old Mar 18, 2012, 07:56 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
Question
9X - FlySky/iMax/Turnigy/Eurgle FOR DUMMIES

The FlySky/iMax/Turnigy 9x/Eurgle 9CH FOR DUMMIES

See, it says for dummies, so,if you can help summarize without getting into firmware routine discussions maybe you can clear this up for myself and others. I feel there is something really valuable happening here and I want to understand.

I have been trying to wrap my brain around this OPEN SOURCE radio system, I have read a number of threads, but they all turn into SW developer's discussions after 100 posts.

Second issue is there are different names, different hardware versions and different firmware versions but people don't say which one they are using.

Third issue creating confusion is the mix of RF modules being used. And some seem to be wired in and some are swappable.

Finally the documentation I have seen is ... Somewhat lacking. People have the Turnigy version but recommend some other documentation, but it is for rev X HW or rev X firmware.

And the advice I get is to add boards, solder wires and load this or that firmware.

What a confusing mess.

I have been in technology sales for 30 years so I get some of this, but it feels like the early days of unix when a bug was a bug till it was documented, then it became a feature.

So,lets assume I am as dumb as I feel, in this conversation. Can someone net this out for me, and for others?. What the heck is going on here?

Can you use this thing to fly stuff?

Do you have to be an engineer to use it?

Is there good documentation and what HW, Firmware does it describe?

HELP!
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:45 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
The FlySky/iMax/Turnigy 9x/Eurgle 9CH FOR DUMMIES

See, it says for dummies, so,if you can help summarize without getting into firmware routine discussions maybe you can clear this up for myself and others. I feel there is something really valuable happening here and I want to understand.

I have been trying to wrap my brain around this OPEN SOURCE radio system, I have read a number of threads, but they all turn into SW developer's discussions after 100 posts.

Second issue is there are different names, different hardware versions and different firmware versions but people don't say which one they are using.

Third issue creating confusion is the mix of RF modules being used. And some seem to be wired in and some are swappable.

Finally the documentation I have seen is ... Somewhat lacking. People have the Turnigy version but recommend some other documentation, but it is for rev X HW or rev X firmware.

And the advice I get is to add boards, solder wires and load this or that firmware.

What a confusing mess.

I have been in technology sales for 30 years so I get some of this, but it feels like the early days of unix when a bug was a bug till it was documented, then it became a feature.

So,lets assume I am as dumb as I feel, in this conversation. Can someone net this out for me, and for others?. What the heck is going on here?

Can you use this thing to fly stuff?

Do you have to be an engineer to use it?

Is there good documentation and what HW, Firmware does it describe?

HELP!
It is quite confusing, but the basic issues are fairly straight forward.

1. All the brands are essentially the same radio (made by FlySky) with different labels (FlySky, Turnigy, Eurgle, Imax, etc.). The one real difference (for most users) is how the module is installed.
2. All the brands nowadays come with the same firmware (most call it version 2, at least one V3 but don't worry).
3. All the manuals are essentially the same except for quality of reproduction (and some older versions may talk about the 72 module).
4. The radio in stock form works well, though the firmware takes an effort to learn when it comes anything beyond the basic four-channel setup. I used one for a year with basic models.
5. Quality control is a bit variable. Some people have had to resolder switch wires, for example. But I've dealt with four of the radios and all were fine.
6. The module is made by FlySky and works pretty well (full frequency hopping but no failsafe or range check mode). Receivers are about $8 and come in 3, 6 and 8-channel form.
7. Some versions (notably Turnigy) use a non-removable module, in the sense that it is wired in permanently to the antenna. Others, like FlySky, have the antenna mounted on the module, so allow easy interchange.
8. For top RF link performance and fail safe (and telemetry option) go to an FrSky module (JR configuration) and receivers.
9. The battery holder that comes with it is crap. Order the HK LiFe battery for about $7 for a cheap and excellent power source.
10. The radio is transformed if the firmware is replaced with ER9x. This is an advanced and incredibly flexible programming system. But it does get you into the technical stuff. And it isn't needed for basic flying.
11. To upgrade the firmware, you must install a programmer to link to the computer. Unless you are prepared to do fine soldering, you need the SmartieParts board for about $45, which has spring-contacts and also provides back-lighting. (Some transmitters have a different version of the main circuit board that requires a fix to install the SP board -- this has nothing to do with firmware versions but is often confused with that.)

That should get you sorted out as far as the basic issues are concerned. The big choices are whether to upgrade (a) the module, and (b) the firmware.

If you just want to use the radio as-is, which most people do, you need to give it a good internal check for poorly soldered wires, obtain a suitable battery (using the stock battery holder is not a good solution), find a copy of the manual (the FlySky version comes with a printed manual), and figure out the programming (not too hard at the basic level, once you figure out that "mode" means "model" and "model" means "stick mode". Also that the left button makes the cursor go right, etc. A few quirks.).

The FlySky version can be obtained from LeadersHobby.

Wherever you order it, be prepared for a wait of several weeks.

Hope this helps.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Last edited by Daedalus66; Mar 18, 2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:30 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
THAT was an excellent summary. Thank you so much.

My goal for looking into this is that ours is a sailplane club. Sailplane radios are typically on the more expensive side. A DX6i might be good for the simplest but DX7s and DX8s and comparable radios from other makers are not sailplane radios. They don't have the mixes and features that a full house (A/E/R/Flaps and maybe throttle) requires for best thermal soaring perfomrance.

As a result you have new members laying out $400 plus for a radio, or $200 for a radio they will outgrow in a year.

If we could get this one working, with a good mix set-up for $160 or so with a FrSky module and the right firmware, maybe we could help the new guys with a first radio that can carry them for a while before they have to look at $400 to $700 radios.

If anyone else has something to add, please feel free, but leave the firmware writing details to another discussion.
Last edited by aeajr; Mar 20, 2012 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Adjust the target price from $120 to $160
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:53 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,954 Posts
Could be a good group project.

As for the firmware writing, what you'll see if you read the threads is that the ER9x firmware reached an excellent stable state about a year ago. The work since then has been on refining details and adding features (such as ability to use a DSM2 or DSMX module, integrating FrSky telemetry, etc.).

Just about anything you can imagine by way of programming can be done with the existing ER9X firmware. It does have a learning curve but there's lots of help available.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:20 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
Thanks.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 01:00 AM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
746 Posts
I too was stumped by the amount of confusing firmware talk on other threads and thought from the way people were talking that the radio was unusable with the stock FW.

After setting up and flying 3 planes with a completely stock 9X (even using the stock AA battery holder while i wait for my HK Life battery to arrive) i can confirm that it is not nearly as difficult to set up or use as you would think.

2 of the 3 planes i've set up are 3 ch deltas so i've had to program elevons (took all of about 5 minutes including searching how to do it on youtube) and the other one is just a basic 4 ch plane which took no time at all.

There are some strange little inconsequential oddities in the stock firmware (Mode instead of Model on the main screen, snoproll instead of snaproll) but i haven't found any issues that would make me think about changing it yet. With a bit of common sense you see past the poor spelling and once you know your way around the menus it is a great little radio.

I would highly recommend it to anyone looking at saving a few bucks while still getting a highly functional radio.

The only thing that does annoy me is the size of the stock Rx, its is massive and too heavy for small foamies, but HK and Eurgle both have micro 3ch Rx's that work with the stock module so thats no real problem.
nogas is offline Find More Posts by nogas
Old Mar 19, 2012, 03:39 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
great input. Thanks so much.

so far I have not heard any reliability issues, which is encouraging.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:23 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Will the stock set up work for a 30 cc gasser
I'm in dire need to switch to 2.4 for flying events.
I plan on later up grading the radio as time progress.
I have a Futaba 9C.
Would it be better to buy the upgrade module and RX and use it on my 9C 1st and then buy the 9X.
I'm on SS right now so funds are very limited and I need to take baby steps.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:01 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
Kerwin50,

I have a matched pair of 9C supers for contest sailplane flying. I like them and have no plans to replace them. I just put in a Futaba FASST 2.4 module in each radio, changed receivers and I was done. I use genuine Futaba receivers in my high end stuff and plan to to use low end FASST compatibles in my lower end planes. I also have a Spektrum module so I can fly the Horizon Hobby BnF planes and a Hobbico Tactic AnyLink module so I can fly the Hobbico TX-R planes.

If you like the 9C, know it well, and it meets your needs, no need to replace it. Just replace your 72 MHz channel module with a 2.4 GHz module. You can buy a Futaba FASST module or a FrSky module and have an instant upgrade to 2.4 GHz. Both receive outstanding reports. All of your current set-ups will work exactly the same. You just swap out the receiver and you are done. Sooooo easy.

If you really want a different radio, then one of the 9X models may be of interest. From what I have read so far, I don't think the 9X will exceed the capabilities of the Futaba 9C and you will have to learn a whole new programming approach. Could be fun if you like that sort of thing or it could be a nightmare if you doin't. But there is no need to change radios to go to 2.4 GHz.
Last edited by aeajr; Mar 19, 2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:25 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
The biggest problem I do have with the 9C is elevator lag when mixing 2 channels. Though that is not an issue right now as I'm running a single elevator servo on my 1/4 MX
So the FrSky module is as good as the Futaba.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:51 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
I don't know how to say "good as". But the reports I am reading on FrSky are pretty good coming from giant scale and glider pilots. I consider these more demanding than most as the planes tend to be expensive and they tend to be flown at some distance.

I am using FASST. Never tried the FrSky myself. Just passing on what I have read in many many posts.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:01 PM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
I don't know how to say "good as". But the reports I am reading on FrSky are pretty good coming from giant scale and glider pilots. I consider these more demanding than most as the planes tend to be expensive and they tend to be flown at some distance.

I am using FASST. Never tried the FrSky myself. Just passing on what I have read in many many posts.
With your application I would definitely look into the FrSky (not the same as FlySky who makes the 9x) TELEMETRY modules. They are an easy drop in for a 9c! They give you digital variometer which functions as altimeter, GPS which extrapolates to speedometer (not air speed), Lipo cell voltage and/or pack voltage, fuel guage, Receiver signal strength, temperature, and more. But what's really impressive is the small size and really low weight of this gear. I waited a long time before trying the FrSky telemetry gear because it was usually out of stock and /or I didn't want to wait a month for delivery.

Now I order from alofthobbies.com and my deliveries are in a couple days.

The ACCST protocol is rocks for reliability -- reboot time is nill -- I'm a convert -- completely.

If I was converting a 9C I'd use the DHT-U -- which is a transmitter module and data display in a single unit. They have a couple different methods for mounting the display -- and installation is super simple.

If you're interested check with Wayne @ aloft -- http://www.alofthobbies.com/radio-ge...ry-system.html
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:39 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
I continue my research on the 9X and this open software radio system.

One of the places I have asked is on flying giants. I received a response from XJet. He is the guy who does the RCModelReviews. Here is what he had to say:

The early 9X radios (often sold under the iMax brand) had very poor quality control. The soldering was awful, cases were often cracked during assembly and so they were very much a lottery.

Since HobbyKing started selling them under the Turnigy brand they have improved immensely.

For a start, the standard RF system has been upgraded from a single-frequency DSSS system to a full-time frequency-hopping one -- although it's still only suitable for smaller/lighter models because there's no user-settable failsafe.

However, if you fit a FrSky module (or even better, an internal FrSky DIY conversion) you end up with a FHSS system that's very good indeed.

Upgrade the standard Turnigy software with the free ER9X software and you get a radio with features that will put the DX8, T8FG and many other "brand name" radios to shame.

I've flown a wide range of models (jets, DLG, 3D, gasers, sport models, foamies) with the 9X/FrSky combination and it has been flawless. I've flown FPV models to over 2Kms and the FrSky system has delivered a rock-solid RF link all the way.

To be honest, for $58 it is the bargain of the century and when they're on special (prices as low as $38 each) I can't think of any reason *not* to buy one. At that price it's a radio you can throw in the car or truck, along with your favourite foamie or whatever -- so that you've always got a model at hand if you get a few moments.

When I dropped my original 9X and broke it up, it was cheaper to replace the whole damned radio than it was to buy two new switches for my JR9303 when I once dropped that.

So -- not a perfect radio (no sliders, standard software is simply "okay", only 8-model memories (16 with the ER9X software)) but it's unbeatable bang for your buck -- even the receivers are $9 a pop.

The standard RF system links up instantly and seems pretty resilient to interference. The FrSky RF system is even better and offers a wider range of receivers -- and there's a telemetry option -- something the 8FG doesn't even offer yet at any price.

When I compared the 9X to the JR 8XG recently, I found the 9X to be a much more solid-feeling radio with better stick units than the far more expensive JR unit. I find that the 9X is a *much* better radio for flying aggressive 3D too because I'm a "thumbs" flier and most other radios are just too big for my average-sized hands -- making it difficult to reach all corners of the gimbals without having to constantly reposition my thumbs. It's not a big stretch with the 9X and I love that.

The bottom line?

I have a JR 8XG, a JR 9303, a Hitec A9, E7 and O6 -- but 95% of the time, I fly my Turnigy 9X.

I hope he does not mind my reposting that here, but I provide the link to his original post here:
http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=62466
================================================== ======================

THIS IS AN EDIT THAT WAS ADDED MUCH LATER BUT I WANTED IT ON THE FIRST PAGE OF THE THREAD. AS YOU READ THROUGH THIS DISCUSSION AND PREPARE TO POST A COMMENT OR ASK A QUESTION, CONSIDER THISE POINTS IN YOUR POST.

With this radio you must ALWAYS say what software you are using. Standard software or one of the software upgrades.

With this radio you mus ALWAYS say what RF module you are using. The standard module or the FrSky module or something else.

With this radio you must ALWAYS say what receiver you are using including brand and model.

Because this radio is so flexible and there are SO many options we have no idea what you are using unless you are specific.

So first rule for dummys ( title of the tread) is tell us exactly what you have.

For example, you might have upgraded to the FrSky and are still trying to bind to the receivers for the standard RF module. That won't work at all, ever!

So, if you want to post about your experience or ask a question you have, and be specific in all information
Last edited by aeajr; May 20, 2012 at 08:01 AM. Reason: An edit was added monts later
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:04 AM
United States, NJ
Joined Jun 2004
1,746 Posts

Welcome to the 9x club...

Bargain of the century. Yup, that's true.
Have you looked here: http://9xforums.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Or perhaps here: http://9xforums.com/wiki/index.php/Nutshell
These might answer more than one question for you.

I think for a club there is a hidden asset to using this system. It's incredibly easy to share models. If, for example you have a killer setup for your sailplane and you want to share it with your mates, you just download it to your computer and mail it to your friends. If you have a laptop and a USB cable you can share at the field too.
erazz is offline Find More Posts by erazz
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:25 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
Here are links I have gathered around this Radio, its firmware, sources and discussions on the topic that I felt were relevent and had enough substance.

9X - FlySky/iMax/Turnigy/Eurgle FOR DUMMIES
Quick summary that will explain a lot
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post21068397

Basic Documentation –
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8992

REVIEWS – HW changed in 2010, so pre 2010 reviews have not been included
– SW updates have occurred via third party updates – see firmware section.

Basic Overviews – high level introductions of the 9X Radio
FlySky FS-TH9X Transmitter + FS-R8B Receiver (1 min 26 sec)

New Flysky FS-TH9X 2.4ghz 9ch Transmiiter Overview Product Tour (1 min 37 sec)

FlySky 9X review - 2010
http://kenbuys.com/flysky-fs-th9x-2-4ghz-transmitter/
http://kenbuys.com/flysky-fs-th9x-ba...t-led-lcd-mod/

RC Model Reivews – 9X – 6-2010
http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/turnigy9xv2review.shtml

PLACES TO BUY

SOURCES – Hardware

Hobbypartz
http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-th9x-r...nel-radio.html
NACRC
http://www.nacrc.com/transmitters-fl...7d0a0e46c92fb4
Megarc
[urlhttp://www.megarc.com/flysky-fsth9x-24g-9ch-system-transmitter-only-p-382.html[/url]
E-Bay
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...+th9x&_sacat=0
Turnigy 9X – Hobbyking – USA warehouse – We would not want this one
RF module antenna is wired in. Others have antenna on module making it easy to change to FrSky module
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19673
R2 Hobbies
http://www.r2hobbies.com/eurgle-2-4g...eration-1.html
MyRCMart
http://www.myrcmart.com/flysky-fsth9...rx-p-4719.html

VIDEOS – STANDARD HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE OVERVIEW

FlySky TH9X – How to use - I think this is the basic SW
This looks pretty easy to use. Should meet most people’s needs
How Set Up TH9x for Plane with Dual Ailerons and V-Tail (21 min 44 sec)

Similar with a Turnigy 9X
Talking about the Turnigy 9x 2.4ghz system (8 min 33 sec)

Turnigy 9X – Review of switches, buttons, etc – based on standard SW
Same as the FlySky Software
Turnigy T9x - English - System Settings (7 min 44 sec)

VIDEOS - UPDATED SOFTWARE/FIRMWARE - ER9x

The real value of this radio is not in the basic set-up. The strength is the
availability of enhanced software from the open source community. When
you replace the standard software with one of the open source versions
you gain a lot of functionality. ER9X seems to be the most popular one.
These videos demonstrate how the ER9X software works
In order to
update the software you need to add the Smartyparts board.

Smartie Parts Programming Board – allows firmware updates and provides backlight for display
http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/ind...roducts_id=331

Step 1,2,3,4,5 –
T9x + Er9x - Step by Step - Lesson 01 (17 min 42 sec)

T9x + Er9x - Step by Step - Lesson 02 (19 min 20 sec)

T9x + Er9x - Step by Step - Lesson 03 (22 min 31 sec)

T9x + Er9x - Step by Step - Lesson 04 (49 min 44 sec)

Lesson 5 - Setting up a 4 servo wing
T9x + Er9x - Step by Step - Lesson 05 - 4servos wing - advanced flight modes (1 hr 1 min 46 sec)

HARDWARE MODIFICATIONS

Smartie Parts Programming Board – allows firmware updates and provides backlight for display
Installation instructions
http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/ind...page=page&id=9
Discusion
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post16549680
Lipo conversion
Lipo conversion for flysky th9x (3 min 10 sec)

Modify Turnigy with the FrSky DYI kit
Installing the FrSky 2.4GHz DIY kit in a HobbyKing Turnigy 9X radio (27 min 52 sec)

Turnigy 9X with Telemetry
Turnigy 9X with FrSky Telemetry (1 min 40 sec)

RF REPLACEMENT - FrSKY RF System

Whether used in the 9X or any other radio, the FrSky system is getting rave reviews for
the robust nature of the link, the selection of receivers, the availability of telemetry and
the low price of it all. The modules are available for Futaba, Hitec and JR. And there
is a DIY, do it yourself, solder in option for other brands and non-module radios. From
parkflyer pilots to giant scale and glider pilots, the FrSky system is getting a big thumbs
up! Also FrSky makes Futaba FASST compatible receivers and Hitec A-FHSS compatible
receivers and those are getting good reviews too.

Pilot reports on FrSky – Airtronics, Futaba, JR, ACE and others
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10935796/tm.htm
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9994819/tm.htm
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_99...m.htm#11028436

FrSky in Supra
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1552991
Review from 2010
http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/frskyreview2.shtml
FrSky 2.4GHz spread spectrum RC review
Telemetry - 2010 review
http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/frsky_..._project.shtml
Module Shoot-out
http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/2.4ghzshootout.shtml
Long Range Reports
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=frsky+frski
FrSky – Looking good so far – HUGE thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1176328
Would you put it in a V50 CC?
http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ighlight=frski
FrSky module vs. internal upgrade
RC Model Reviews • View topic - Turnigy 9x v2 - FrSky Module vs DIY

FrSky module and receivers
http://www.alofthobbies.com/
HobbyKing
www.hobbyking.com
Telemetry – How to
http://www.ehow.com/how_12195352_use...ky-fsth9x.html

FIRMWARE – Updating the firmware/software completely transforms the radio.
There are several to choose from but the ER9X seems to be the most popular

ER9X firmware – This seems to be the most popular firmware update based on posts I have read
http://code.google.com/p/er9x/
EEPE Eprom Editor for ER9X – video – using computer to set up the radio off-line – cool!
Eng - T9x - Er9x - offline editing and next-level use of eePe (5 min 58 sec)

FlySky Firmware Update Instructions – Tons of info on boards, procedures, etc. KAOS seems to be the resident wizard on this
http://www.rcdiscuss.com/showthread....ht=PROGRAMMING
Firmware update instructions from hobbyking – PDF
FlySky 9ch - Flashing Firmware
http://code.google.com/p/er9x/wiki/Flashing9x

Other Firmware options ( not ER9X)

Open9X Firmware – Might be more sailplane oriented
http://code.google.com/p/open9x/
TH9X alternate Firmware
http://code.google.com/p/th9x/
gruvin9x - Firmware
http://code.google.com/p/gruvin9x/
RadioClone
http://radioclone.org/

FORMS AND DISCUSSION GROUPS SPECIFIC TO THIS RADIO

9X forums
http://9xforums.com/forum/index.php

Yahoo Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/

FrSky has made an important announcement by way of an advisory affecting anyone using their 2-way system telemetry modules and DIY kits with non-telemetry receivers. If this is you then you must read this. This initialization of the GUID needs only be done once, when the module is first used in 1-way mode. Once set, the GUID will be retained and the risk of a Zero GUID situation is eliminated
http://www.frsky-rc.com/ShowNews.asp?id=65

USER DISCUSSIONS

Discussion – Note user XJet is the guy on RCModelReviews and also performed the IMAX 9 test flight above
http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=62466
http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...2&postcount=35

Discussion - RC Discuss (RC Discuss talks about this radio a lot) KAOS seems to be resident wizard
http://www.rcdiscuss.com/showthread....242#post309242
Flysky Set-up problems
http://www.rcdiscuss.com/showthread....et-up-problems

Discussions – RC Universe
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#11028956

Discussion – Model Flying UK user report
http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/...=65916#1150222
http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/...=65916#1150356

Discussion - RCG
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post20932126
Anyone flying Turnigy 9X for full house sailplanes?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1606788
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7&highlight=9x

Discussion – Wattflyer
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...d=1#post862849
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...817#post862817

Backlight panel mod
http://kenbuys.com/flysky-9x-electro...light-lcd-mod/

DLG set-up for Turnigy 9X
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post18049473

Alternate main borad for 9X
http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/forum/...php?f=5&t=1415
Use with simulator
http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/forum/...t=183&start=10

Advice I received was to follow this sequence,

1- order 9x from leader hobby,(no wire from module to ant.) – Approx. 65.00 + Shipping including FlySky module and 8 ch receiver. They FlySky system seems fine for smaller planes/parkflyers. Receivers are around $10.

2- Buy and install smartyparts board, 45.00 – allows firmware updates and backlight of display

Trans. battery of your choice 10.00 to 20.00 dollars

Around $150 total with shipping.

For larger planes, or more expensive planes and gliders - Get FrSky module and receiver, approx. 45.00 Receivers $25 to $35.

The stock firmware for the 9x works, but is limited. The ER9X firmware, will probably do everything you would ever want to do.
Last edited by aeajr; Sep 05, 2013 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Updated and added links and other resources