HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2012, 01:02 AM
Joined May 2007
11 Posts
Discussion
Intro...

Hey!

I've been a member here since 2007 when I got an Ocean Rescue. I never got real good at flying it, since it was my first heli, I have no patience (learning fast, tho!), and it had some real challenges with yaw to the left and I didn't know how to fix that (Now, I think the flybar knuckle may have needed adjusting).

Fast forward 4 years (took a break) and I got a wild hair. I bought a Blade CX2 and started over.

I have gotten, or maybe HAD gotten, pretty capable of controlled flight - I'm getting to where I only crash landed about once every flight

I had broken a landing skid, had gone through several sets of rotors, and the canopy was pretty, well, I guess "Holey" would be a good description - so I decided to order some parts...

Of course, like my motorcycles in my early teens, my cars in high school, my cars AND motorcycles in college, my CB radio in the 70's, my RC planes, cars, and boats later on, and now my computers, I can't seem to leave them well enough alone!

Just a little background about me: My Dad used to tell me that GM paid engineers a lot of money to use the knowledge they gained in all those years of college in order to build my car - and that he really didn't think jacked up with Mickey Thomson N-50's on the back and bicycle (his word) tires on the front was probably in any way productive...

Anyway - back to the CX2 that was a little worse for the wear.. I changed out a lot of parts (somebody should do something about how easy it is to order cool parts for a RC 'copter online!) - now it has a tail boom, extreme skids, blade grips, aluminum lower rotor mount (it came with aluminum upper), different battery holder, extended upper rotor mount, and aluminum swash plate. Nothing drastic, probably pretty normal, I hope!

WOW what a difference those chantges made! Whereas I had gotten pretty good with it (I could fly it inside our double-wide without trauma or drama), it responds COMPLETELY differently now. I have gotten to where I can maintain a hover within about a 2'x2'x2' box, but the slightest correction might quite possibly require counter correction.

I am going to tear it all back down and make sure I don't have anything (inner / outer shaft, servo links, flybar link, etc...) too tight, that nothing is binding anywhere, or whatever else I might find.

I really want to get good with the little MCX2 so that when I start really flying the CX2 I can do it more gracefully!

After the CX2, my goal is to advance to a fixed pitch, then a collective...

Remember I said I don't have a lot of patience? I've found that THIS hobby will teach you patience QUICKLY! I guess you could go broke trying, but it pays to take it one step at a time! Crawl->Stand->Walk->Run...

Anyway, just wanted to say, "Hi". I don't want to be one of those guys who only talks when he is picking your collective (nice pun, huh? <grin>) brains...

Dick
dicknite is offline Find More Posts by dicknite
Last edited by dicknite; Mar 18, 2012 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2012, 04:52 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,704 Posts
Hi Dick,

Thank you for posting such an honest account of your r/c flying career.

I think you will really enjoy your mCX2, it is a beautiful small heli and you will learn loads from flying it. Have you seen the simple mod to make the navigation lights stop flashing and become steady? This is a good mod to do and will help you with orientation.
You can read about it here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=842

Do you have any thoughts on which fixed pitch heli you will go for?

cheers John.
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft