HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:10 PM
Concord, California
Joined Apr 2002
19 Posts
Discussion
To Rewind or Not To Rewind-That's the Question?

I have a motor with no identifiable label. on it. The motor was running in my E-Flte 450- PT-19 and I over propped it! Used an 12'' Prop instead of a 10" Prop. Opps!! After about a two minute flite the Motor Smoked and stopped!? It's a 1250kv 30amp.to 40 amp. 14.8 V with 1800 4s 35c. Batt. Blue anodized bell ends and a black ribbed cylinder 35mm dia. & 36mm long & 110 gr. weight. It isn't a very expensive motor to replace, but I thought I might try rewireing it, if that will save it from the recycle bin. I hooked up the esc & batt & timer and get no reponse. I can only surmize that the motor was fried. I need some direction and constructive critisizm on what to do with this motor?
Brian Workman is offline Find More Posts by Brian Workman
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2012, 02:16 AM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Workman View Post
I have a motor with no identifiable label. on it. The motor was running in my E-Flte 450- PT-19 and I over propped it! Used an 12'' Prop instead of a 10" Prop. Opps!! After about a two minute flite the Motor Smoked and stopped!? It's a 1250kv 30amp.to 40 amp. 14.8 V with 1800 4s 35c. Batt. Blue anodized bell ends and a black ribbed cylinder 35mm dia. & 36mm long & 110 gr. weight. It isn't a very expensive motor to replace, but I thought I might try rewireing it, if that will save it from the recycle bin. I hooked up the esc & batt & timer and get no reponse. I can only surmize that the motor was fried. I need some direction and constructive critisizm on what to do with this motor?
Let's put it this way- Most folks like myself that do rewinds aren't in it to save $$$. We do it because it's interesting, it's fun, it's a hobby. I just like bringing dead things back to life...

The actual rewind is the easy part. You'll find trying to take apart that dead motor and prep for rewind is the harder part. As a newbie Expect 4-6 hrs trying to take the motor and old windings apart cleanly...As you get better, you can probably do it within 1-2 hrs.

Anyways, when you take the windings apart try to count the windings and from there you'll get a good idea of how many winds you need...if you want faster kv, do less winds, if you want slower kv, do more winds.

anyhow, the first 3 vids below are mine, and the 3rd is from utah flyers
good luck and have fun.

Disassemble a brusless motor (3 min 21 sec)

winding removal, prepping for new wind (2 min 14 sec)

Bearing removal from a brushless motor without damaging motor (1 min 40 sec)

Brushless motor winding by Utah Fyers #2 (5 min 24 sec)
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:09 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,806 Posts
What motor is it? It does not sound like either of the recommended motors:

Park 450 - http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLM1400

Park 480 - http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLM1505

The dimensions and weight you give indicate it is another, slightly heavier and larger, motor. As far as the rewinding, the first consideration will be if you can get it apart, cleaned up, and ready for rewinding. From that point on, we can help you with the details on doing that.

Some motor are very difficult to get apart and ready for rewinding because of the windings being saturated with epoxy. Others have more complicated methods of attaching the stator to the bearing tube and than can really complicate things.

A quick photo or two might let us identify the motor and get you some better advice.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:22 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,210 Posts
sounds like you over-proped the motor and cooked some windings,do a search for your motor or ask around here and you can see what it involves. when your ready to rewind come back here, like jack said, we need to know what it is your dealing with so maybe you can post a picture or what brand it is. the only constructive advice Id give ya is to get a watt meter and heed the manufactures
ratings
lectroglide is online now Find More Posts by lectroglide
Last edited by lectroglide; Mar 18, 2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:47 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,946 Posts
there are wayyyy.. too many motors about to get much definitive info.
ALL one needs do is v carefully unwind the thing taking note of the number of winds per tooth and their eventual termination type.. [gotta read up a bit first to understand what yer looking at tho ].
Then simply replicate the number of winds /termination using erm... decent quality... wire, that isn't coated with 'no temperature' congealed duck soup as 'insulation' varnish
Likely you can go up a wire gauge on your rewind as typically these are wound so hurridly/poorly that the oem winds barely fit despite the thinnish ga wire used.
Increased gauge and a neat rewind... alone... will result in an observable (at the model) perf increase.
No real need to go into rewind hobbyists complexities.. unless you must :-)
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:24 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
there are wayyyy.. too many motors about to get much definitive info.
ALL one needs do is v carefully unwind the thing taking note of the number of winds per tooth and their eventual termination type.. [gotta read up a bit first to understand what yer looking at tho ].
Then simply replicate the number of winds /termination using erm... decent quality... wire, that isn't coated with 'no temperature' congealed duck soup as 'insulation' varnish
Likely you can go up a wire gauge on your rewind as typically these are wound so hurridly/poorly that the oem winds barely fit despite the thinnish ga wire used.
Increased gauge and a neat rewind... alone... will result in an observable (at the model) perf increase.
No real need to go into rewind hobbyists complexities.. unless you must :-)
I'm not sure I quite agree with "no real need to go into rewind hobbyists complexities"...I mean what you've just said above that IS all those rewind hobbyists complexities.

Let me explain:
As a newbie when I did my first rewind, I tried doing it without knowing all the "hobbyists complexities" and I ended up with a motor that didn't run...simply because the winding schema was off. When I got the schema right, I ended up with tons of shorts without knowing it. When I got that squared off, I got a motor that was probably in the 100,000 KV and ran super hot. Only through trial and error and massive research did I get the motor running right. Oh and let's not forget learning how to take the motor apart.

In the end, the only way to get a motor running right was to learn if not all, most of the "hobbyists complexities". So I'd say to any newbie,...rewinding a motor is only for those who wanna learn all the "hobbyists complexities" or just ditch the motor and go buy a new one.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 02:15 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,946 Posts
sorry.. perhaps a bit too esoteric for you then :-)
IMO just doing a Simple abc type wind, either terminated y or d will suffice very nicely.. was the intention of the above.
Clearly there are winding layout/permutations that are as yet unknown to you.
The act of getting decent winds.. actually on.. are complexity enough when a newbie.. why add more pitfalls?
Especially so when the immediate need is to get a decently done simple/effective wind back on the thing so it can be put back into use..
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Mar 19, 2012, 03:31 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
sorry.. perhaps a bit too esoteric for you then :-)
No. not to me- I was referring to the OP and newbies alike. All I'm saying is it isn't as simple as you are putting it and anyone wanting to rewind a motor should be aware that they are in it for the long haul,...and not just unwind, and slap on some wires as you put it and make it work...anyways I'm sure you're the expert, but I've somewhat rewound a little over 25+ motors now so I know my way around and the pitfalls...thank you very much. There was a time when I sat and rewound motors till my fingers bleed...but those days are long gone now. Over time, I've somewhat lost interest. But anyhow, you get the point.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:41 AM View Post
kellyss
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Off Topic Advertisement. Show it to me anyway.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 07:53 PM
United States, OH, New Vienna
Joined Mar 2011
274 Posts
What does it normally cost to have a motor re wound? I have a tiny brushless that I acquired in a trade, it has been unwound already, so I have no idea how many it had to begin with. It's for a small heli like a Genius or CB100. I was wondering if it would be worth paying someone to fix it, or just trash it?
og1974 is offline Find More Posts by og1974
Old Mar 23, 2012, 08:03 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by og1974 View Post
What does it normally cost to have a motor re wound? I have a tiny brushless that I acquired in a trade, it has been unwound already, so I have no idea how many it had to begin with. It's for a small heli like a Genius or CB100. I was wondering if it would be worth paying someone to fix it, or just trash it?
Depends on the cost of the motor I suppose. Hard part would be finding someone to do it.

if you can actually find someone to rewind it, the shipping to ship it there and back probably cost close to the cost of the motor.

I'd say if you are up to it, buy a roll of newbie wire from gobrushless and try it out yourself...it's fun!
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:15 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,806 Posts
Quote:
Is it the primary motor? As shown here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walkera-CB10...-/270938196928

If so, that is an inrunner and it is not really practical to rewind those. They have the magnets bonded to the shaft and the windings are arranged in elliptical coils that are arranged around the inside of the "can" or body. Simply too hard to do at home and for yourself.

Outrunner motors (like the tail motor on the CB-100) are much easier to rewind.

But now you are talking about tiny little outrunners and the difficulty goes up as compared to outrunners with 22mm or 28mm stators. That little motor probably has a 10mm or so stator and the windings are like angel hair fine. But a stubborn person has a chance if he works at it.

Inrunners are like no chance at all, rub it with money is the only practical way out.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:40 AM
Joined Mar 2011
274 Posts
Thanks for the info guys!
It is a outrunner, looks like an Oversky...maybe. I'll post a pic when I get home later.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 04:36 PM
Joined Mar 2011
274 Posts
I believe its an hp05 s 2 from wowhobbies. 35 to replace, anyone interested in giving me a price to rewind it?
Old Mar 24, 2012, 06:27 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,828 Posts
Quote:
I believe its an hp05 s 2 from wowhobbies. 35 to replace, anyone interested in giving me a price to rewind it?
that thing is 5.5 grams...The wind won't be so bad, but trying to take it apart will be a challenge. These little motors are very, very fragile, and trying to take the stator off will be next to impossible without damaging the stator to some degree. Good thing is most of these smaller motors aren't saturated with epoxy.

good luck with it.