HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2003, 09:16 PM
Joined Dec 2000
41 Posts
Rave
What is an HP.49 VT 4-stroke worth?

HP .49 VT 4-stroke with factory muffler and instructions.
Cira: late-1970's early 1980's?
Never run - NIB.
Does anyone know todays current value? Should be a collector item?
Thanks, Lewis
Vnemail@earthlink.net
Lewis Adam is offline Find More Posts by Lewis Adam
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2003, 10:25 PM
Groundloop World Champion
USA, AZ, Glendale
Joined Jan 2002
1,178 Posts
Hello Lewis,

I buy and sell R/C related on eBay and have built a simple database of the actual high bid on many items including the HP VT49 4C engine. Here are three on the HP:

HP VT.49 $104 09/06/02 $81 09/11/02 $91 10/19/03

MECOA sells them for $210 Here is their URL:

http://www.mecoa.com/prices.htm#hpprice

MECOA

The little VT21 is a gem but I've heard/read the VT49 can be a problem to keep running..... it wants to quit in the air.

Hope this helps.

old_dude
AMA 213751
old_dude is offline Find More Posts by old_dude
Old Oct 21, 2003, 03:46 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
I was about to say $100. Not a really desireable engine, nor rare. I sold one on ebay earlier this year, it went for around $100.
Would love to see that database...
easytiger is offline Find More Posts by easytiger
Old Oct 21, 2003, 08:24 PM
USA, AZ, Glendale
Joined Jan 2002
1,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by easytiger

Would love to see that database...
Hey "EasyTiger", your handle looks awfully familiar....... could it be that you're the "easytiger" on eBay that has over 2000 feedbacks ???

I guess then you might be considered my competition on eBay. Why don't you PM me ?? I'd love to share some thoughts with you about selling on eBay...... I might even forward a copy of my database

The "Black Head" VT's have their rotary valves running on roller bearings...... real quality.... but I'm not sure if MECOA level of quality matches their predecessor HP in Austria .... somehow I doubt it.

old_dude

AMA 213751
Old Oct 23, 2003, 09:24 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by old_dude
Hey "EasyTiger", your handle looks awfully familiar....... could it be that you're the "easytiger" on eBay that has over 2000 feedbacks ???

I guess then you might be considered my competition on eBay. Why don't you PM me ?? I'd love to share some thoughts with you about selling on eBay...... I might even forward a copy of my database

The "Black Head" VT's have their rotary valves running on roller bearings...... real quality.... but I'm not sure if MECOA level of quality matches their predecessor HP in Austria .... somehow I doubt it.

old_dude

AMA 213751
Yup, I'm that same guy!
Who are you?
I don't HAVE any "competition" on ebay, for a bunch of reasons. One is, I have mostly stuff that nobody else has. Second is, I just don't SEE things that way, ebay is not my bread and butter, it just finances my hobby. Thirdly, there is PLENTY of room for more sellers on ebay, as far as vintage model airplane stuff goes.
If I have, say, an HP49, the chances of a "competitor" having another up the same week, and some totally random antique store in peoria putting one up the same week, are about the same. It's just pot luck, I can't see it as competition. It's all pretty random, anyway. One week an HP 49 will go for $80, the next week $180, you never can tell. Even WHEN there are two identical items up for auction, it does not matter much. Most bidders only see one of them. Go figure!
Soooooo...no matter WHO you are, you are welcome to see ME as competition, but know that I am just not competitive, and I'll never see it that way!

As far as Mecoa goes...my thoughts exactly.
easytiger is offline Find More Posts by easytiger
Old Oct 23, 2003, 08:46 PM
USA, AZ, Glendale
Joined Jan 2002
1,178 Posts
Hi Easytiger,

I recall sending you an email suggesting that you must have a time machine and go back occasionally and raid 1940's and 1950's hobby shops ....

The only other seller on eBay that I might equate with you is "therocketman" and I'm not him.

I'm "orville8412" on eBay. A small timer comparatively speaking. I'm in Arizona and would like to know how to find out about estate sales. We have a lot of old time R/Cers that moved and retired here. And , I'm sure there is a potential gold mine of older R/C kits etc that become available due to ones passing on.

Any ideas you might share ??

old_dude

AMA213751
Old Oct 26, 2003, 12:46 PM
Joined Dec 2000
41 Posts
HP .49 VT / 4-stroke

Thanks everyone for your insight to the HP.49 VT engine.
This paticular engine is one of the HP originals manf. in Germany.
Happy landings,
Lewis
Lewis Adam is offline Find More Posts by Lewis Adam