SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:59 AM
Cyprus, Nicosia, Egkomi
Joined Feb 2009
39 Posts
I am still waiting for various components to arrive ( receiver battery,voltage regulator/switch,spinner,prop etc.) but am thinking about the landing flaps.
Meaning that on the Graupner speed I had, I would flip the ailerons 15 mm up the plane would turn up but the elevator mix which was programmed would correct, so the plane would considerably slow down and land.
Now with the hurricane E there are dedicated landing flaps which are deflected down.
To you experienced people out here Gunho and Shiwo,
(Without referring to the values in the manual) :
1)how much down should the flaps go ?please,
2) where do you program the flaps on the radio?,
3) thirdly, does the attitude change dramatically (is it dangerous?)
4)does the nose pitch up?
Just to get an idea because I have not used flaps ever ()
George Rc is offline Find More Posts by George Rc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:25 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,824 Posts
George,

Flaps will be much more effective for landing than up ailerons (spoilerons). You generally want as much flap travel as you can get -- 80-90 degrees is great, 70 degrees is probably adequate. The physical limitations of the linkage will dictate this.
Some up aileron can also be used along with the flaps, though it really doesn't add that much and can reduce your aileron control effectiveness.

I have no idea where to program this on your transmitter, but since you have to ask, it could be that you don't have a good sailplane transmitter.

Yes, deploying flaps will cause the model to pitch nose up. You need to also program some down elevator mix to adjust the model's attitude. With a flapped landing, you want a slightly nose down attitude when landing.

You always want to test a new flap setup at altitude first. You will probably need to adjust the flap>elevator mix several times until you get it right.

Good luck,
Lenny
Lenny970 is online now Find More Posts by Lenny970
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:15 PM
Cyprus, Nicosia, Egkomi
Joined Feb 2009
39 Posts
Thank you Lenny.
My radio is good JR12X...
just that on other hotliners I used the acrobatic model ...instead of sailplane programming...and THIS time I'm not sure.
Thanks G.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:22 PM
Joined Nov 2009
429 Posts
George,
pls see my comments below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Rc View Post
To you experienced people out here Gunho and Shiwo,
(Without referring to the values in the manual) :
1)how much down should the flaps go ?please,
Ailerons up 12-15mm, flaps down as much as possible (yes, ailerons need to go up, too for an effective brake!)

2) where do you program the flaps on the radio?,
I used the Butterfly mix on my Jeti DC16 and assigned it to the gas stick. this allows smooth deployment of the brake. (I put the motor on a 3 way stick switch off-half throttle-full throttle)

3) thirdly, does the attitude change dramatically (is it dangerous?)
not really. But it allows to bring down the plane pretty quickly

4)does the nose pitch up?
YES. You need to trim down elev accordingly.
My recommendation: stick to the values in the manual, they are about perfect.
Test the brake in decent altitude first to learn how the plane behaves.
Then make adjustments as you feel appropriate.
Good luck
Stephan
schiwo1 is offline Find More Posts by schiwo1
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:03 PM
Cyprus, Nicosia, Egkomi
Joined Feb 2009
39 Posts
Hi Shiwo,
I have seen your flight on YouTube (about 20 times :-) ) you have ailerons up spoilers down.
Plane lands in very little space.
I am a heli flyer, so with planes (which is a different philosophy) I'm reading allot,
I have the multiplex easy glider which I practice on but I am taking it easy with this one...I will probably spend some more time with the foamie...
Thanks mate,
George .
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:03 PM
Singapore
Joined Aug 2006
312 Posts
Flaps should be around 70 deg down...its brakes pretty good. Ailerons about 10mm up is a good start, you need to leave enough up throw to control the plane too.

Down elevator for butterfly you can start at about 2-3 mm.

I have my butterfly on a switch which has a slow delayed deployment so the plane does not pitch up suddenly. takes about 2-3 seconds for the flaps to fully come down. But you need to have no delay to retract the flaps before you hit the ground.

SOme folks put the butterfly on a variable knob so they have full control. Good if you are doing precise landings. So up to you to decide.

The flaps are very effective in slowing this bird down. No bad habits.

Enjoy the plane.
Gungho is offline Find More Posts by Gungho
Last edited by Gungho; Jan 22, 2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:28 PM
Cyprus, Nicosia, Egkomi
Joined Feb 2009
39 Posts
Ok friends...moving on slowly.
Motor fitted...voltage regulator with magnetic switch...950 Mah lipo (hope its enough) wiring etc... All done up.
Waiting for 3300 Mah 3cell 65/130C batt + 3300 Mah 5 cell 65/130 batt to arrive,
Plus two spectrum carbon satellite receivers to add to the jr 921 dual receiver.
Have had some hard decisions to make.
Either program sailplane mode -> brake system on left stick motor on switch.
Or Acrobatic plane, with throttle as in throttle ...flip switch ->flaps come down ...elevator down...2 sec delay (both coming down and up)
I have gone for the acrobatic airplane mode because I will have more control on the throttle...
Good choice ?
Please Shiwo Gungho ?
Last edited by George Rc; Feb 06, 2013 at 04:49 AM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:44 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
250 Posts
Hurricane Elektro V (3 min 32 sec)

Is this the same plane
Quadmad is offline Find More Posts by Quadmad
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:03 PM
Cyprus, Nicosia, Egkomi
Joined Feb 2009
39 Posts
That's the one.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:17 PM
Singapore
Joined Aug 2006
312 Posts
George,

Throttle on a switch or stick is a choice only you can make. I used to be in airplane mode too, than I switched to glider mode in Futaba....but I regprogrammed my throttle back on a stick. In futaba you can literally reprogram any control to do almost anything.

Im just used to be in control of a stick than switches

I have my flaps on a switch with delay. Never had them on the variable. Since I dont compete I dont need to get that kind of precise variable control. Landing in one piece has always been my goal, even if it means walking a few hundred meters to pick up the plane.
Gungho is offline Find More Posts by Gungho
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:20 AM
Joined Nov 2009
429 Posts
Well, coming from F5B I am used to it the other way round. Gas on a 3-way switch and the crows on stick. This allows me to land to the point.

Another point to be aware of - when you fly a 8s setup don't fly anything less than 100% gas for more than a few seconds otherwise you may fry your ESC.
schiwo1 is offline Find More Posts by schiwo1
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:58 AM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
Motor on a switch, butterfly/crow on the stick. Camber on a second switch. That is the standard approach and is the one that is compatible with unpowered gliders.
davidleitch is offline Find More Posts by davidleitch
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:27 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,527 Posts
The Sound that plane makes in the Video above post is insane!

Wow x5000!
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:35 AM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,342 Posts
Been watching the video several times during the last months, and wonder what was going on at 1:23.
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Apr 10, 2013, 02:08 AM
Guangzhou Baiyun, China
Joined Dec 2003
436 Posts
Hi, friends.
I just get my Hurricane e on my hands. Would you please show some pictures about your arrangement of 2.4G antenna. I want to put it out from the air outlet in each side of fuselage. Does it OK?
Zhaokun Deng is offline Find More Posts by Zhaokun Deng