Old Mar 17, 2012, 04:03 PM
E-Flite Apprentice FTW
Joined Mar 2012
48 Posts
Help!
S107 Board replacement

Hello to anyone reading this

I have a question...

I purchased an S107 off of Ebay and it turns out its a clone. It flies really, really, really well actually. However, I have made it my mission to replace as many internal parts as i can on this clone with legit SYMA parts. My first order of business is going to be to upgrade the battery and tail boom/motor (these are in the mail now). Second, i plan on replacing the inner and outer main drive shafts as well as the gears.

Here is my question though. If i were to replace the clone board with a legit S107R3 or R5, how would I go about doing that? I know how to solder very well so that isnt a problem. I was thinking just go one wire at a time, de-solder, solder in correct place (i have a real SYMA S107 to use as a soldering reference). What about the transmitter? How would I deal with that issue? Would i need to also purchase a legit SYMA S107 transmitter in order for the real board to work?

HELP
Tutexx is offline Find More Posts by Tutexx
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2012, 05:38 PM
Belgium
Joined Dec 2011
624 Posts
You should probably post this in the coaxial forum.
Also, afaik, if you already have a genuine s107, that ones' transmitter should work for your new board.
But I'm no expert.
cgpirre is offline Find More Posts by cgpirre
Old Mar 17, 2012, 06:05 PM
9958 gave me the toilet bowl
United States, IL, Rockford
Joined Jan 2012
1,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutexx View Post
I purchased an S107 off of Ebay and it turns out its a clone. It flies really, really, really well actually.
If it flies really x 3 well, why fix something that ain't broke?

I have yet to see someone prove that their Syma is a fake. I saw a YouTube video where the guy is trying to prove that his Syma is a fake, and I didn't buy into his paranoia. If you're convinced it is a fake, videotape it and put it in YouTube.

Try not to get too much into the Syma S107G. You should be preparing to move to a 4 channel heli. A WLToys V911 should be your next heli. Here's one for $39.99. They're generally more than that though.
Proud Infidel is offline Find More Posts by Proud Infidel
Old Mar 18, 2012, 03:33 PM
E-Flite Apprentice FTW
Joined Mar 2012
48 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

@cgpirre I thought about that for a while after i posted this and came to the same conclusion that you did. I think the legit SYMA transmitter would work with the new board also.

That is actually one way that you can spot a fake SYMA. The real-deal transmitter will not work with a fake.

@Proud Infidel Thanks for the advice man. Its funny that you mention the 4 channel helis, because i've just ordered two more. Theyre 4ch Coaxial though, but still 4 ch nontheless. The first one i ordered was the F106 Fire Wolf. Its awesome. I like how you can "drift" with the 4ch helis. The other two that i ordered were JXD 340's ("Drift King"). I have two other JXD heli's (just 3ch ones) and they are little tanks so i thought i'd try them again on some 4ch helis. how is that one heli in your link? how different is that one from a 4ch coaxial?

As far as the fake S107 goes, there's a lot of factual evidence out there pointing to the fake ones. For instance, the real s107 has a red pcb which reads either s107r5 or s107r3 on it. That appears to be the dead giveaway. Other smaller things such as the transmitter indicator, color of the plastic, and even the sound of the heli itself also point to a counterfeit s107.

but yeah like i said, my so-called fake 107 does fly very well. Its just annoying to me that it isnt legit! i have decided to just replace the gears and main shafts only. I'm not going to go as far as the pcb and all.

sorry for writing a book
Old Mar 18, 2012, 07:21 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,257 Posts
Quote:
how is that one heli in your link? how different is that one from a 4ch coaxial?
I just think coaxials are fake helicopters. A V911 is much faster than a Syma S107G. It can be flown outside with some wind.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 07:24 PM
E-Flite Apprentice FTW
Joined Mar 2012
48 Posts
I took your advice and spent the 40 bucks on that heli. It's shipped so it should be delivered within a week or so. I will let you know how it goes!

I still like coaxials for indoors, and because theyre relatively cheap. I enjoy tinkering with the little ones, especially the S107. I have always enjoyed building things and upgrading (i also fly rc airplanes, thats actually how i got into rc a few years back), so tinkering with the few things that i can on the S107 should be interesting. However, im afraid that when i see how much i can do with the V911 that i'll be sucked in for sure!

EDIT: yeah, in reading that thread on the shipping times...scratch that one week, haha...maybe 1 month? (lets hope not )
Last edited by Tutexx; Mar 21, 2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:36 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgpirre View Post
You should probably post this in the coaxial forum.
I second this suggestion. You should come visit us S107G fanatics over here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1176146

and post lots of pictures of your clone to solicit the opinion of all the folks there.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2012, 09:02 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,257 Posts
Quote:
I took your advice and spent the 40 bucks on that heli. It's shipped so it should be delivered within a week or so. I will let you know how it goes!

I still like coaxials for indoors, and because theyre relatively cheap.
Once I went to a V911, I never went back. My S107G is mothballed. Once you get your V911, make sure you tape your tail motor to prevent it from twisting within its holder and decapitating a wire.