HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2012, 01:33 PM
Joined Apr 2010
81 Posts
Question
Need a little help picking a 2m - 3m floaty thermal glider

Hi guys ! Havent posted in here for a while, but Im a bit stuck on picking out a 2-3.5 meter thermals soarer. I currently own a cularis (great but too slope oriented) a few 3d planes, a quad and an asw 28 2 meter scale.

Now the sun is returning id really love to pick-up thermal soaring and pick that as my skill of choice to nail this summer. I love my cularis, but its a bit fast and sporty for a thermal glider, and i am really after something to lazily float around. Ima fter soemthign rudder and elevator or RES.

I havent got a hgue budget here, at all. I am up to spending 150 pounds MAX on the airframe, i have elctronics and building naterials.

Im also interested in my first woodie scratch build but i dont have a clue where to start. I lvoe the look of the mark drella bubble dancer, but i cant find a kit for it, how difficult/costly would a build be ?

I currently have my eye on teh fling 2m but ive read a few not so posotive reviews so im not sure.

http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk...d.asp?id=21100

Any recomendations, ideas for builds would be awesome . My main ahpyp building medium is foam, I saw another user here built an absolteuly stunning 5 meter depron glider, I am blown away by it. And Im wondering if it woudl be possible to build a bubble dancer in the same way. It would be great if any of your recomendations came from this model shop, as I work there and can get things a fair bit cheaper than the listed price !

http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk...%26+Sailplanes
muchalucha is offline Find More Posts by muchalucha
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2012, 06:07 PM
Thermals are cool.........
meridian, idaho
Joined Sep 2005
330 Posts
I would get a chrysalis. It is a good flyer and easy to build.

http://www.djaerotech.com/dj_product/chrysalis2m.html
bluefork is offline Find More Posts by bluefork
Old Mar 17, 2012, 08:01 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,588 Posts
Very inexpensive, and fairly decent flight characteristics with the Sig Riser 100. About 80 USD IIRC. Approx 2.5 m.

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV5.html?E+Sig

Also, the Oly II from Skybench.

http://www.skybench.com/index.html?h....com/home.html

Edit.... just saw that you mentioned foam.... these are woodies, as is the Chrysalis mentioned above.
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Mar 17, 2012, 08:24 PM
USA, MD
Joined Jun 2007
35 Posts
Mountain Models offers a short kit for the Bubble Dancer.
Fclip is offline Find More Posts by Fclip
Old Mar 17, 2012, 08:29 PM
Joined Apr 2010
81 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions, its generally the kind of glider im after, but im a bit fussy on the looks and shape. If possible id really like something with builtup or foam core glass wings with a pod/boom fuselage. Ive been looking around a lot and nothing really meets my requirments, apart from that bubble dancer!.

So I have another experience, How difficult would it be to build a mark drella bubble dancer if i obtained a fuselage and boom from the hobby shop i work at, and built the wings and tail from mark drela's plans ? I have never before scrathc built a builtup wing, but i have owned a few, and have repaired a few to. As well as that I have a lot of experience working with foam and composite gliders.

So really my qestion is, how much of an undertaking is building a bubble dancer ?
Old Mar 17, 2012, 08:33 PM
Joined Apr 2010
81 Posts
Hi fclip. I found the one i think your talking about, that sounds fantastic, but Im in teh UK. And shipping would take ages and be very costly from america. Is something similar available in the UK ?

Thanks for all your suggestions so far :
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:05 AM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,588 Posts
Here's another possibility for you....

http://www.arthobby.com/
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:15 AM
lurker
Wellsville, NY
Joined Jan 2002
55 Posts
I was in a similar situation several years ago. I am cheap, but don't really have a budget when I am enjoying myself.

I had built a Terminator with vacuum bagged fiberlass over foam wings, and I wanted something bigger and more elaborate.

I made the Bubble Dancer and I don't have any regrets.
But it was a very expensive and difficult build. Building the wings took longer than I expected.
Much of the build is left to your imagination. Although maybe there are better instructions available today?

Most of my expense came from all the Fiberglass/Kevlar/Carbon stuff I bought when I attempted to make the first fuselage, which was electric. And the motor/esc/batts/prop
My home made fuse came out under powered and tail heavy. (nose too short). I scrapped it and went unpowered

But with the purchased fuse it was VERY pretty and flew nicely. Although in some ways the Terminator is better. Easier to transport, and more sensitive to lift, especially on light days.
And It's no fun crashing the BD.

So I think you have the right idea about buying the fuse unless you are a composites master.
Don't underestimate the size of a 3M glider. It is huge when you see it in your house!
I recommend the Bubble Dancer If you are an advanced builder.

Cheers, and good luck!
kgough is offline Find More Posts by kgough
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:47 AM
United States, NY, Lewiston
Joined Apr 2011
323 Posts
One of the very best values around for a woody 3M RES kit is the Bird of Time....it's something like 70 bucks at Tower Hobbies.I don't know if you can get one in the UK though....
theghosttanker is offline Find More Posts by theghosttanker
Old Mar 18, 2012, 02:14 PM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,124 Posts
I just bought a mirage kit, and the Chrysalis is on my list.
doc993 is offline Find More Posts by doc993
Old Mar 18, 2012, 03:10 PM
United Kingdom, England, Shrewsbury
Joined Mar 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muchalucha View Post
Hi guys ! Havent posted in here for a while, but Im a bit stuck on picking out a 2-3.5 meter thermals soarer. I currently own a cularis (great but too slope oriented) a few 3d planes, a quad and an asw 28 2 meter scale.

Now the sun is returning id really love to pick-up thermal soaring and pick that as my skill of choice to nail this summer. I love my cularis, but its a bit fast and sporty for a thermal glider, and i am really after something to lazily float around. Ima fter soemthign rudder and elevator or RES.

I havent got a hgue budget here, at all. I am up to spending 150 pounds MAX on the airframe, i have elctronics and building naterials.

Im also interested in my first woodie scratch build but i dont have a clue where to start. I lvoe the look of the mark drella bubble dancer, but i cant find a kit for it, how difficult/costly would a build be ?

I currently have my eye on teh fling 2m but ive read a few not so posotive reviews so im not sure.

http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk...d.asp?id=21100

Any recomendations, ideas for builds would be awesome . My main ahpyp building medium is foam, I saw another user here built an absolteuly stunning 5 meter depron glider, I am blown away by it. And Im wondering if it woudl be possible to build a bubble dancer in the same way. It would be great if any of your recomendations came from this model shop, as I work there and can get things a fair bit cheaper than the listed price !

http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk...%26+Sailplanes
Hello mate...

I'm guessing you have a fair amount of expertise around you if you work at SMC. Why not ask one of your work colleagues for some assistance?
Rich_G is offline Find More Posts by Rich_G
Old Mar 18, 2012, 03:31 PM
Joined Apr 2010
81 Posts
I was aware of teha rthobby planes but they are all a bit fancy and expensive. Im encouraged enough by what you said to go ahead with scratch building the wings and buying a fuz.

I have plenty of experience, however all my previous experience has been in building and flying foam and composite gliders. A composite master I am not, and although i enjoy working with composites, its expensive and... itchy. And having just bought a 2.6 meter foam glider, Id really like something built up. but I have no expereince at all with built up models, I own one, but thats it.

I had my first aertow flights today with the cularis, and i sure do Love that plane, my flights where up to 6-7 minutes.

I also got given an origional radian by a friend for spending a fe hours fixing up his busted slick 71. So A bubble dancer would slot beutifully into my hangar .

Thanks again for all your help.

EDIT:

To add a bit, Ive watched some videos of the bird of time. And although it glides beutifully, im really not a fan of scale gliders. Id really like something sleek and aerodynamic that glides as well as if not better than a bird of time. Im also not keen on the wooden fuselage concepy. In my opinion a composite fuselage looks a lot lot nicer.
I plan so far to use the fuz from an ehawk or fling 2m (its the right size beleive it or not !).

For equipment I have 2 HS65 MG and a LiFe reciever battery.

I will start another thread as I obtain the first bits for the build. I cant wait !. By all accounts the bubble dancer is a beautiful flyer.
Last edited by muchalucha; Mar 18, 2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 11:09 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,994 Posts
If you are a talented craftsman, maybe you can pull this off. I'd recommend starting with something simpler. I've heard that the Bubble Dancer is not all THAT tough, but it's a heck of a lot more involved than, say, an Olympic II or a Paragon. Those would handle well and float quite well, but would not be as good when the wind picked up.

A Bubble Dancer that is not good in light air is grossly overweight or there is something else seriously wrong with it. I doubt if there is any popular glider its size or less with a lower sink rate. I was fortunate enough to fly Mark's for a few minutes. There are not many 3 meter gliders that I would be comfortable circling after a moderate hand toss, but this is one of them.

BTW, Bird of Time plans can be found here:
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2093
I suspect this project would be intermediate in complexity between the Oly 2/Paragon types and the Bubble Dancer. As long as you were scratch building, you could change to a Drela foil. If I was doing it, I'd make the rudder hinge line more vertical and get rid of those little love handles just outboard of the poly joint. I doubt if I'd bother switching to a carbon boom, but it's been done. The Bird ot Time is NOT a scale glider. Probably Dave Thornburg, its designer, liked the way it looked. Real gliders need proportionally more room inside for real pilots!

2 to 3.5 meters is a HUGE span range. Even the jump from 2 to 2.5 meters makes a large difference in flying qualities. I think 2.5 to 3 meters is a nice size range, but it depends on how much space is available in your vehicle and elsewhere.

Another project that would be intermediate in complexity, and cheaper, would be a Bubble Dancer with a more conventional spar. You might not be able to stomp continuously on the winch pedal, but it would still fly nicely and save you dough. As long as you were making the wings not as strong, you could also go to something like a broken carbon fiber fishing pole for a boom.

I've heard that the Mirage, which someone else mentioned, is a good choice too.

Probably there are a number of good choices in the UK that I don't know about.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2012, 03:23 AM
UK, Coventry
Joined Aug 2005
533 Posts
From Germany, very good kits by all accounts.
The Climmaxx 2m was recently reviewed in AMI
http://www.hoelleinshop.com/Models-H...=12327&p=12327
mhodgson is offline Find More Posts by mhodgson
Old Apr 04, 2012, 02:13 PM
Joined Apr 2005
392 Posts
Also, check out the Hoellein Callistic in the glider model section of that site. The Callistic reminds me of the 2M Allegro-Lite, another excellent design by Dr. Mark Drela.
HIR/Cer is offline Find More Posts by HIR/Cer