HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:48 PM
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
Discussion
Something just not adding up - need help :/

I am admittedly a noob to RC battery technologies...

Bought this battery:

http://www.amazon.com/Thunder-Power-...=5336432818-20

and this charger:

http://www.amazon.com/Thunder-Balanc...=5336432818-20

However the adapter for the charger (2S) doesn't match the adapter on the battery (2S). I am so confused lol.

Do I need to mod the ends? The Battery end has a 4 pin female but is only utilizing 3 of them.

Thanks!
Serpico is offline Find More Posts by Serpico
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2012, 01:10 PM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
there are a number of different types of balance plugs available - generally who ever sells the charger will also sell a range of balance boards so you can balance charge lipos from different brands

however having a thunder power battery not matching a thunder power charger's default balance board is quite odd ... anyway for a few dollars you can buy the appropriate board - i would avoid modding the plug on the battery
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Old Mar 17, 2012, 01:38 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,840 Posts
Quote:
however having a thunder power battery not matching a thunder power charger's default balance board is quite odd
Not odd however when the charger is not in fact a Thunder Power charger.
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Mar 17, 2012, 01:45 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,840 Posts
Serpico

You need a Thunder charger to Thunder Power Lipoly adapter. Hobby King has them

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5pcs_bag_.html

5 for $1.99 plus shipping.

but if you want one sooner

http://rclipos.com/Accessories.htm#PQALAdapters

TP-AL-2S $5.25

That battery has a JST type parkflyer main leads connector. While waiting on balancing adapter you can charge it at 1C non balanced charge using main connector and the charger's main output leads only.

Most Thunder Powers rarely relly need balancing anyway and two cell ones often do not even have balancing leads as they rarely get out of balance.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Mar 17, 2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 04:02 PM
Joined Feb 2007
126 Posts
That "Balance Board" if for batteries with an XH plug,not the "Thunder Power" type.Getting this board should work for You, and connect to different (3S,$s etc.)"Thunder Power" batteries as well.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rger_plug.html
KB9STD is offline Find More Posts by KB9STD
Old Mar 17, 2012, 05:25 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,840 Posts
That will only work if his charge takes Poly Quest / Hyperion balancing connector to the charger.

My recomended sex / type change adapters will work with his present balancing board.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 06:16 PM
Colorado Springs, CO.
Joined Mar 2009
327 Posts
You have a nice little charger, but the Thunder AC6 I believe is made by "Hota". It is not related to "Thunder Power"
Scarface26 is offline Find More Posts by Scarface26
Old Apr 14, 2012, 03:03 AM
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
Yeah -after additional research they are named similar but in fact are different companies. Live and learn.

I was able to find an adapter for this charger that works with the battery pack(s) I listed. So I now have a charger, the battery packs, and the proper adapters

Thanks again folks - I know I haven't been back in a few weeks, but please don't perceive that as disinterest or being unappreciative. All of your comments lead me to finding what I needed!

FYI I am VERY close to launching my rocket project - launching an Android figurine and returning him safely to earth (very NASA/APOLLO-ish lol): (www.AndroidWasHere.com (#AndroidFlight)

Follow along on twitter if you wish - I'm always up for input and advice

Cheers!

-Serpico
Serpico is offline Find More Posts by Serpico