HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2012, 07:44 AM
Joined Sep 2010
82 Posts
Build Log
RCexplorer's tricopter v2.5 carbon build

As most people that build there first tricopter, i also built my first tricopter off Davids (from rcexplorer.se) v2.5 plans. i was determined to be different and went with a full carbon body as well as carbon booms. i also decided to go with the coffin body design as i felt the extra space would come in handy for mounting extra equipment.

i went with the hk kk v2.1 board for the controller and dt750's for motors. these motors are really amazing for multicopters although if you tighten your prop to tight (easy mistake) like i did, you will find that the motor does not turn as freely anymore. i also made the mistake of using a corona 929mg servo as it had better reviews then the one David suggest and was cheaper. i find these servos have alot of slop in them so they make the tail motor vibrate alot.

After building it, i could not wait to fly it. I immediately started testing it in my living room next to a couch and a wall. I had 40cm gap in between the tricopter and the wall and 40cm between the tricopter and the couch. I didnít crash! It is also a time to note that I havenít had any experience with a rc helicopter with more than 3 channels (I did have a Esky honey bee king gen 1 but my dad crashed it before I got to try ): ). This thing is rock solid smooth and stable. I always thought that a tricopter would be a handful to fly because of what everyone else says on the forums, but not in my case at least. Itís soooooooo smooth. Ive already flown for about 40 minutes on it (finished building it yesterday)

So I decided to put the go pro on just to test for vibrations, yes I have some but thatís because of the gyro gain, still working on that. I decided to try get some view of my backyard so was flying around. I then tried to fly high to get a view of the paddock behind my yard. Somehow the battery plug came loose and the tricopterís power completely shut off. It flipped over and dropped like a brick. Watching a multirotor drop from the sky is so epic, lol. All that was damaged was 2 props (luckily it landed in some thick grass.

This is a great frame David and i recommend it to anyone getting into tricopters.

Here are the pictures from the build. All help/advice is welcomed as I am a noob :P
jwalker590 is offline Find More Posts by jwalker590
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:04 AM
Joined Aug 2011
220 Posts
It looks really good. I also followed davids 2.5 build, it works like a charm. Ive mounted a nikon digital camera underneath it triggered with a 9g servo.
xardinen is offline Find More Posts by xardinen
Old Mar 17, 2012, 01:27 PM
Joined Nov 2011
90 Posts
I'm sure many have read of how to create trikopter from the Swedish guy http://rcexplorer.se/projects/tricop...copterv25.html

trikopter made ​​to this instruction and there are several questions to the esteemed public

1. It is rather strange behavior on the tail servo
if move Rudder stick - servo moves but:

movement to the right - well
Move left - almost servo does not move

Trimming with subtrimers achieved approximately the right-left, a little bit
even with an increase in the gas servo begins to deviate

2, we can not put CCW (reverse rotation) prop? are there any pitfalls?
igoralekseevcom is offline Find More Posts by igoralekseevcom
Old Mar 17, 2012, 04:19 PM
Joined Sep 2010
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by igoralekseevcom View Post
I'm sure many have read of how to create trikopter from the Swedish guy http://rcexplorer.se/projects/tricop...copterv25.html

trikopter made ​​to this instruction and there are several questions to the esteemed public

1. It is rather strange behavior on the tail servo
if move Rudder stick - servo moves but:

movement to the right - well
Move left - almost servo does not move

Trimming with subtrimers achieved approximately the right-left, a little bit
even with an increase in the gas servo begins to deviate

2, we can not put CCW (reverse rotation) prop? are there any pitfalls?
Im not sure what you mean in question 1 but for question 2, i dont think a counter rotating prop would work? Because you would have 2 standard rotating against 1 counter or vice versa. This means that you will still need to trim it using the servo? Not really sure, jut making a educated guess,

I think you're talking about the guros over compensating the servo?
Old Mar 17, 2012, 04:42 PM
Joined Nov 2011
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker590 View Post
Im not sure what you mean in question 1 but for question 2, i dont think a counter rotating prop would work? Because you would have 2 standard rotating against 1 counter or vice versa. This means that you will still need to trim it using the servo? Not really sure, jut making a educated guess,

I think you're talking about the guros over compensating the servo?
Thank you!

I think strange things happen to a servo because it is not digital
try other digital can help
igoralekseevcom is offline Find More Posts by igoralekseevcom
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:56 PM
Joined Sep 2010
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xardinen View Post
It looks really good. I also followed davids 2.5 build, it works like a charm. Ive mounted a nikon digital camera underneath it triggered with a 9g servo.
thanks, what nikon camera do you have? i was thinking about mounting a nikon j1 to take photos (non fpv flying) does it work well on the tricopter? do you have any photos you have taken you can post?
Old Apr 03, 2012, 07:39 PM
Joined Sep 2010
82 Posts
Update: ive now changed the arms from carbon the 11mm pine wood. It is soo smooth now!! I actually had to turn down the gyro gains heaps down from where ty were with the carbon arms!! Surprising no? Ill post pictures soon. Ive also change the raio back to my dx7 as im having realy bad range issues with my dx8. The antenna kinda just flops around and probably need to get it replaced. Will also get some on board footage soon. Do i have to uplad a video to youtube in order to post it here?