HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2012, 01:50 AM
The squidman
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2011
74 Posts
Discussion
Need suggestions, new motor/esc

Looking for suggestions, i'm setting up this new FPV setup with the awesome Skywalker platform. I have A turnigy motor and speed control right now. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html

And the Turnigy Trust 55A speed control. Only problem is that this one got fried on accident so either order a new one or look for a better alternative is my option. Any suggestions on this one?

Also any prop/battery suggestions that are good power wise?
ssquillace is offline Find More Posts by ssquillace
Last edited by ssquillace; Mar 17, 2012 at 10:02 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2012, 07:52 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquillace View Post
Looking for suggestions, i'm setting up this new FPV setup with the awesome Skywalker platform. I have A turnigy motor and speed control right now. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html

And the Turnigy Trust 55A speed control. Only problem is that this one got fried on accident so either order a new one or look for a better alternative is my option. Any suggestions on this one?

Also any prop/battery suggestions that are good power wise?
Your link is not working, you cannot click and drag to copy a URL from this forum, you have to right click it and "copy link location" or look at the properties to see the entire URL.

Best idea is to test the links in your posts during the post drafting process or after you make the post.

No motor identification = no answers....

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Mar 17, 2012, 08:11 AM
Concord, MA
Joined Jun 2002
1,113 Posts
I googled the plane. Looks like prop size would be limited by pusher design to a 9 or 10 inch, so look at motors in the 1000 + Kv range. I would think 4 lbs is about what th max weight is so 75 watts per lb gets you 300 watts. Maybe an E-flight 480, Axi 28-16 (if they are still around), or HK outrunner same Kv and power, they likely have many that will work.

You canot go wrong with an oversize ESC, so a 35 and up is right. Please be sure to insulate the connectors so they don't short. Maybe some investigation into why he last one fried is in order. 50 amp ESC shouldn't be overtaxed on such a plane, as 3 cells is 10-12 volts at load times 30 amps should give you 300 watts which should yield a 45 % climbout on a 3-4 lb plane
BEA flyer is offline Find More Posts by BEA flyer
Old Mar 17, 2012, 08:22 AM
Concord, MA
Joined Jun 2002
1,113 Posts
http://www.modelmotors.cz/index.php?...e=12&line=GOLD
Old Mar 17, 2012, 08:34 AM
Concord, MA
Joined Jun 2002
1,113 Posts
I recently bought one of these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=2127
It runs well but maybe gets a little warm. Note you need the higher Kv, which then uses a smaller diameter propellor. I'm using it on a pretty heavy 2 meter glider with a folding 9- 4.5.

I think that plane at 4 lbs woud fly like a brick. 2 1/2 is more like what you should be shooting for. You will need a battery capable of 30-40 amp continuous discharge like a 2200mah 20C 3 cell. If you want a lighter smaller capacity battery you should be looking at 25C or higher, like a 1500 Mah 25C or a 1300 30-40C
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:02 AM
The squidman
Joined Dec 2011
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
Your link is not working, you cannot click and drag to copy a URL from this forum, you have to right click it and "copy link location" or look at the properties to see the entire URL.

Best idea is to test the links in your posts during the post drafting process or after you make the post.

No motor identification = no answers....

Jack

Hey I updated the link, should work! Thanks for that.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 01:28 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,683 Posts
Yes, it's working fine now. That is a pretty popular motor but I can't seen to find much prop testing data for the 1350 version.

There is a little bit on HK in the user reviews that may help some. If you try a google search on "rcgroups Turnigy D3542/5 1250KV" it will turn up some hits on the posts here on that motor.

Looks like 8" on 4S and 9" to 10" on 3S would be a good starting point for testing.

Jack
Old Mar 17, 2012, 05:33 PM
The squidman
Joined Dec 2011
74 Posts
Great, thanks. Anyone recommend me an ESC for this motor please?
Old Mar 18, 2012, 07:18 AM
Concord, MA
Joined Jun 2002
1,113 Posts
I think you would want a 35 amp or higher. I would probably not be running 4 cell batteries as this ave a switching ESC or a separate battery plane would likely not tolerate a really high output, like 400+ watts.

The other thing is that you will be using 4 servos, so unless you have a switching ESC or separate BEC or battery for the radio/ FPV equipment 3 cells are better as you will overtax the BEC less.

I have an e-flite 40 amp ESC. It has the plugs mounted to the board so they cannot short. I think I paid $40 for it. The Super Simple (SS series) I have bought from HK work OK too.

You should look for something with a 2 amp BEC.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 07:39 AM
Concord, MA
Joined Jun 2002
1,113 Posts
I have this one. It has worked flawlessly. Like I said the motor plugs are on the board so they cannot accidentally short.

If you are going to run the FPV or a pan and tilt you should get a separate battery for them, or else E-flite has a switching BEC 40 amp Esc that is rated 2.5 amp for the BEC (this is what powers the radio and servos).

From HK I have lower amp ESC's mostly, 20 and 30 amps. They run 4 9 gram HXT servos and a motor fine, but are over-rated ampwise. I would get a switching 55 amp one from them. My experience is with the SS 30 amp ones. I bought an HXT 20 amp blue series that smoked and a 20 amp one that put out 9 volts form the BEC untilI wired a Radio Shack 5 volt regulator to it.

Any one you use should be well ventilated for cooling.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 07:40 AM
Concord, MA
Joined Jun 2002
1,113 Posts
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Hi...rodID=EFLA312B

This one is the one I have. I forgot to paste the link!
Old Mar 18, 2012, 07:54 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,683 Posts
That E-Flite ESC makes no mention of the type of power supply used for the BEC. It says:

"..Dual BEC regulators for use with up to 4 servos when using 3-cell LiPo..."

and that is pretty much meaningless jargon as far as the current ratings of the "dual BEC". But the fact that it is for 3S and only up to four servos points to it being no more than a typical 2A or so (and probably linear mode) BEC power supply.

You can look for ESCs with switching mode power supplies and higher current ratings or you can simply just abandon the BEC built into the ESC and go with using an external, switching mode BEC with a higher current rating. The Castle Creations external BECs are a good benchmark for standard of quality and the page for those has all the details of information as to how to wire them and use them.

The complicated and extensive power requirements in FPV platform really require some extra thought and effort to keep the basic flight electrics and the FPV electrics both safely supplied with power.

Castle Creations BEC page - http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbec.html

Jack
Old Mar 18, 2012, 01:32 PM
The squidman
Joined Dec 2011
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
That E-Flite ESC makes no mention of the type of power supply used for the BEC. It says:

"..Dual BEC regulators for use with up to 4 servos when using 3-cell LiPo..."

and that is pretty much meaningless jargon as far as the current ratings of the "dual BEC". But the fact that it is for 3S and only up to four servos points to it being no more than a typical 2A or so (and probably linear mode) BEC power supply.

You can look for ESCs with switching mode power supplies and higher current ratings or you can simply just abandon the BEC built into the ESC and go with using an external, switching mode BEC with a higher current rating. The Castle Creations external BECs are a good benchmark for standard of quality and the page for those has all the details of information as to how to wire them and use them.

The complicated and extensive power requirements in FPV platform really require some extra thought and effort to keep the basic flight electrics and the FPV electrics both safely supplied with power.

Castle Creations BEC page - http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbec.html

Jack

Thanks! looked into that BEC and might just get it. Really helpful info!