SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by cactus, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 01:10 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Discussion
FPV Slow Stick

I have had a couple of flights on this now, so I feel I am ready to share this project with RCG. I have made some modifications along the way, but so far this is a really fun light wind platform for moderate length flights close in and slow. Great observation platform!

I have many changes from stock form, and well go over what I have done in the coming days. I am testing my wing mods and mixing tomorrow. I added ailerons, clipped the wing and took the dihedral out as well as added a aileron to rudder mix to help it turn better. Will so how that goes....
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Flight Report

Wow! It did better than I thought it would with moderate winds. I guess it was 8-10mph sustained with no real gusts to speak of. Cold though, my hands where shaking a bit when I first showed up. The wing mods worked well and turning was good and responsive. I recorded my downlink video and will put it up later today.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:13 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Slow Stick FPV Red Mesa, CO. (6 min 26 sec)
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:14 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Gear List

- Slow Stick Slope Kit
- Millennium R/C XGear
- KDA 20-22L
- APC 10x4.7
- Plush 18 ESC
- UBEC
- Nanotech 3s 2200 lipo
- SN555 on BlueSkyRC pan tilt
- Foxtech 200mw 5.8ghz CL&SPW antennas
- DragonLink UHF control
Old May 08, 2012, 10:38 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
I am now using a Dynam GY48 gyro on the aileron channel set at about 25% gain. Really helps keep the plane level in wind gusts.
Old May 16, 2012, 02:33 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
This platform just continues to be fun for me. I am now flying in the valley behind my house and there is very little room to take off and land with large pines all around, but the SS can approach and land so slow I can do spot landing on small trail clearings. Its allot of fun to circle around about 400ft up with the camera panned down the wing and just casually look around.
Old May 16, 2012, 03:58 PM
I Wish I Was Flying...
United States, CO, Littleton
Joined Nov 2006
689 Posts
Subscribed. Can't wait to get my FPV slow stick going. Currently I only have 1 camera and video Tx. I'm thinking I'll need to get another.

Scott
sdueck is offline Find More Posts by sdueck
Old May 16, 2012, 04:03 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Or you can do what Volto does and make everything modular so you can share gear between several models with a few minutes to move it over. I share one of my DragonLink Rx's between the Slow Stick and the quad.
Old May 16, 2012, 04:09 PM
I Wish I Was Flying...
United States, CO, Littleton
Joined Nov 2006
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
Or you can do what Volto does and make everything modular so you can share gear between several models with a few minutes to move it over. I share one of my DragonLink Rx's between the Slow Stick and the quad.
I tried that. And that is probably how I will start with the SS. I just have a very basic plywood pod that I built. It just velcros on, and has the HK super simple OSD on it too. So to start, I will be just simply moving it to the plane from the quad, but until I make something better, I won't have pan/tilt, and I most likely will always have to keep it on top of the plane's wing.

Scott
sdueck is offline Find More Posts by sdueck
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:44 AM
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2008
374 Posts
Hey Cactus, did you ditch that plastic brace that gets taped down to the top of the wing? I'm ordering a new wing for mine to try and remove dihedral and use ailerons.
charlienofun is offline Find More Posts by charlienofun
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:43 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
I used the brace rods and removed the angled adapter that set the factory dihedral. I just taped the rods to the leading edge with strapping tape.