HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:19 PM
Make the best of all you have
Essen/Germany
Joined Dec 2006
569 Posts
Discussion
UMX Sbach 342 mods

Three days since I got my Sbach and I'm happy with it.

It is a nice flying aerobatic plane with an absolut astonishing character - motor shut down, full elevator and it only drops the nose without any bad tendencies.

Very nice - it behaves like a trainer.

Flying like on rails, very responsive on the aileron without being nervous, nice on the elevator and ruder.

Once trimmed the Sbach flew really nice, but after some flights and getting familiar to it I noticed some discrepancies when flying.

1. the response characteristics of the elevator is not exact what you expect from an aerobatic with such a large rudder area and deflection.

I think too much lash for the steering rods and a labile ruder arm had to be fixed.

2. same for the ruder ...

3. CG of 36 mm (thank you Joel) still needs uptrim to fly level at higher speeds (normal flight), inverted it rises the nose a little.

At lower speeds (normal flight) it rises the nose a little - confusing.

Solution is the thrust line is not straight, the nose shows downside - something I don't expected from an aerobatic.

Power means downthrust in normal flight, so I have to trimm it up - inverted the installed downthrust means upthrust - it rises the nose, so I have to correct this.

@ Joel please give me an idea whats the matter with your Sbach.

When looking from the side I can see that my motor has remarkable downthrust.

So I have to straighten my thrustline and make a new test.

edit :

I know why our Sbachs are nose heavy, they glued in the motor bracket veeeery well ...

Now it's straight !

Will test it in a few hours ...

Rolf
beetyii is offline Find More Posts by beetyii
Last edited by beetyii; Mar 16, 2012 at 11:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:15 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,278 Posts
Good job on the cockpit, looks real.

But I would like to see a 3D pilot though...
Cheese5 is online now Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Mar 18, 2012, 06:39 AM
Make the best of all you have
Essen/Germany
Joined Dec 2006
569 Posts
Me, too ...

Rolf
beetyii is offline Find More Posts by beetyii
Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:52 AM View Post
kellyss
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Off Topic Advertisement. Show it to me anyway.