HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2012, 01:16 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,192 Posts
Discussion
Please look at my video filmed with my ContourGPS, will a GoPro 2 have better quality

I've been using my ContourGPS helmet camera on my DJI Flame Wheel F550 hexacopter and it's been ok.
I was using 720p and I just tried a video in 1080p, it looks ok when it's not moving much but when I pan the video looks horrible. If I pause the video while it's panning the picture is pretty blurry.
At least the 1080p mode took away the props where in 720p mode you could see the props spinning. And it also made it narrower so the frame legs and motors aren't seen which I like but when panning it's absolutely horrible and almost makes me seasick watching it.

Question is, will purchasing a GoPro 2 make the video WAYYY better to justify the $300.
I bought a Samsung H300 camcorder and tried it with and without the OIS and the video is just a blur.

My rig is pretty well balanced as you can see from the video so I don't know why the Samsung camcorder was extremely blurry. When I put the Graupner props on this weekend I'm hoping to be even more balanced.

The Sony NEX5n would be awesome but way out of my price range.
I just bought the Samsung a few days ago so I can exchange it for a GoPro2 with another $75 which is doable for me.
Just wanting suggestions on which way to go.
I would also use the AV cable from ReadymadeRC for FPV and can ditch my KX191 FPV camera.

Thanks

This is the video shot in 1080p
http://youtu.be/zX7lOyCsFPA

And this one is the same camera shot in 720p
http://youtu.be/sVkUnNpOPUY
jasper7821 is offline Find More Posts by jasper7821
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2012, 01:57 PM
MaineFlyer
Augusta, Me
Joined Feb 2005
894 Posts
jasper,
I thought your video with the camera mounted on the FW was pretty good! Better than many of the ones I have taken.

I did see a definite improvement on mine when I switched my GoPro Hero 2 to 720/60 fps. Unfortunately, in that mode, you are back to the fisheye effect which I don't particularity care for.

I have read on these forums that cameras with Optical Stabilization don't do well with the vibration we get on these quads.

I think the best thing to do is work on getting as much as possible vibration problems solved before switching cameras or even changing modes. I have gone thru 25 different videos changing props, mounts, etc before I changed the mode to 60fps. Still watching what others do and will continue to work at it.

Keep up the good work!
Joe
jpgilbert is offline Find More Posts by jpgilbert
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:34 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,192 Posts
Thanks,
I've done pretty much all I can do for now. I tried to balance the motors but I can't tell any difference in tone or vibration when I put tape anywhere on the motor. I even downloaded a vibration app and it didn't do much.
I think the motors are balanced pretty good stock.

The only other thing I can do is put on the Graupner props that I'll have this weekend.

I bought the FlameGearXT gimbal/landing gear from x468.com and that should be here today and I'll mount the camera on that.
jasper7821 is offline Find More Posts by jasper7821