HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2003, 04:24 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Oct 2003
114 Posts
Slow Stick maiden - partial success - Help!!

Finally ventured the dreaded maiden flight on my SS. I've an 8 cell 950 KAN, 300C- D motor, Dymond 20 A ESC AND 12x6 prop. Ran into the following issues

1) With 12x6 prop slow stick would hardly roll in the dirt lest take-off. The motor was also getting hot.

2) Replaced 12x6 prop with the 11X4.7 prop. Slow stick would take off but a little weak. Tried a right hand turn, SS barely responded after full rudder to the right. I've read in other posts that right thrust mod is needed. I haven't made th mod, but it could not be this bad without the mod.

3) Somehow completed the turn and returned to base and landed in one piece.

Can somebody shed light on a) why SS would not ROG WITH 12X6 PROP b) why is it sooo.. difficult to turn right.

Appreciate it.
yesbee1 is online now Find More Posts by yesbee1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2003, 04:59 PM
Sayre,PA
Joined Sep 2002
1,664 Posts
Re: Slow Stick maiden - partial success - Help!!

Quote:
Originally posted by yesbee1
Can somebody shed light on a) why SS would not ROG WITH 12X6 PROP
Appreciate it.
You probably had the prop on backwards. Lettering on prop faces outward.
jimsp is online now Find More Posts by jimsp
Old Oct 20, 2003, 05:48 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Oct 2003
114 Posts
Jim, I checked that. The prop was pushing the air onto the wing, the plane would move like 6ft and then would stop. It almost looks like the "propeller stalled" condition that Motocalc describes.
Thanks
Old Oct 20, 2003, 06:06 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Oct 2003
114 Posts
Jim,
You're right. I'd the prop reversed this morning. I replicated the behaviour again with prop reversed. Please ignore my previous post.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Old Oct 20, 2003, 06:44 PM
Holly Springs, NC
Joined Sep 2002
131 Posts
My SS turns on a dime. Did you check the rudder max throw as described in the manual? If the SS is flying extremely slow, which seems it is giving your description, then it won't turn as fast since their isn't much air flow over the rudder. Sounds like you have a thrust issue. Bad motor? Bad battery perhaps?
ppowell is offline Find More Posts by ppowell
Old Oct 20, 2003, 08:06 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Oct 2003
114 Posts
Paul, my rudder throw is around 20deg on either side. Do you think this is low? Also my dihedral is 3in. at the tip of the wing from the level surface.
Thanks
Old Oct 21, 2003, 06:54 AM
Holly Springs, NC
Joined Sep 2002
131 Posts
Didn't the manual suggest a 35 degree throw? You may want to try increasing it. Also, how fast was the plane flying when you turned? That may have something to do with it as well.

Regards
ppowell is offline Find More Posts by ppowell
Old Oct 21, 2003, 08:24 AM
"Hobby Apparatus" Flyer
Oxford, PA
Joined Aug 2003
1,357 Posts
Heya Yesbee, try it with the 1180. I think you'll find that's the ticket for the 300 motor. I also put my rudder throw on the inside hole, and it flies perfect now. I flew many. many ROG and touch and goes last night for almost a whole hour on two 8 cell packs, one 1700 mAH NiCad from my Zag and the other an 1800 mAH NiMH also from my Zag. Hauled up a camera and everything. I think you're going to love this plane when you get it working right.
Mikey C. is offline Find More Posts by Mikey C.
Last edited by Mikey C.; Oct 21, 2003 at 08:26 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 08:28 AM
"Hobby Apparatus" Flyer
Oxford, PA
Joined Aug 2003
1,357 Posts
Oh yeah, I've also found that with the heavier weight of the 8-cell pack, you don't need any kind of thrust mod (the down and right one) whatsoever. Cheers.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 08:18 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Oct 2003
114 Posts
Thanks Jim, Paul and Mikey for the advice. However, I crashed my slow-stick today as it took-off very steeply and crashed. The spur gear and gear mount broke. I ordered replacement parts and would give it another shot.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 09:32 PM
"Hobby Apparatus" Flyer
Oxford, PA
Joined Aug 2003
1,357 Posts
Ouch, sorry about that bit of bad luck. Here are the post-flight/crash analysis questions: Did you ensure your CG was right? Did you do a servo/control check? Was the crash after a ROG or hand-launch?

I'm convinced once you get it right and fly it a few times, you will even wonder yourself how it crashed. I was particularly stupid on my maiden, and didn't verify the CG at all but I was also extremely lucky as it apparently was spot on.

A word of caution: I knew pushing 8 cells (9.6v) through that little 300 was going to burn it up sooner or later, and it happened tonight. Luckily I've got a 400 I'm going to jam in there momentarily. I was using a 1080 prop at the time, and I believe when I go to the 400 I'll need a 12" prop so I don't burn that one up either, but I'll try it on the stock 1180 just to see how hot it gets.

GL when you are ready to try again, and I'm glad if I helped at all.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 09:59 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Oct 2003
114 Posts
Mikey,
I checked the CG, it is about 102 mm from the leading edge of the wing (3mm ahead of the suggested CG). Also checked control/servo throws etc. It was an ROG. It rolled for about 5ft and I kept increasing the throttle. All of a sudden it leapt into the sky before I could react.
I will try to go down to 7 cell and see what happens. Thanks for your encouragement. This is a great forum.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 10:02 PM
"Hobby Apparatus" Flyer
Oxford, PA
Joined Aug 2003
1,357 Posts
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, was there any wind?

Also , maybe if you could include a before and after pic some of us might be able to spot something amiss. You never know what a fresh pair of eyes can discern.
Old Oct 22, 2003, 04:40 PM
glider driver
Offutt Air Force Base
Joined Aug 2003
174 Posts
Rudder throw

I give my plane about 45 deg. to the right and 45 deg to the left.
same with the elevator. I never have problems turning much less rolling.
No joke!
RCflieger is offline Find More Posts by RCflieger