HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2003, 03:47 PM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Aeronaut Panther build thread

I made the wing retainer today, drilled a 2mm hole perpendicular to the wingjoiner CF tube through the plywood former and fuselage mounted tube. Then I inserted the wing and drilled a matching hole in the wing tube.
Then a 4mm wide/2mm deep hole was added to allow the M2 screw to go flush with the fuselage.
Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2003, 03:55 AM
Joined Aug 2000
3,919 Posts
Hi Haldor

I didn't realise the wings were detachable as no-one mentioned it before.

Please can you post some pix showing the fuselage internals before and during fitting the ducting?

It's always interesting to know how designers have solved problems, as good ideas are worth remembering

Thanks

Gordon
Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Gordon
Old Oct 21, 2003, 06:51 AM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,454 Posts
Gordon, some pics of the guts can be seen in this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5&pagenumber=3

Oh and the intake ducts are in place when you get the kit, only have to glue them to the intake lip

Some pics of mine and some of Haldors Panther, we will try and get together next season for some formation flying
Arngeir Blakseth is offline Find More Posts by Arngeir Blakseth
Old Oct 21, 2003, 07:46 AM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Hi Gordon.

I was expecting the wings to be mounted permanently but they are attached using CF tubes which makes them strong. Therefore I figured there is no need for glue around that joint
The instructions dont call for them to be fixed either.

As Arngeir said, the internal formers and front ducting come already in place but the ducting isnt glued to the intakelip.
Also the intakes are two halves which also need to be glued at the back fairing. Trivial work
Old Oct 21, 2003, 07:49 AM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Cockpit closeup, very nice vacuumed formed parts.

Yes Arngeir, we need to get together for some formationflying!
Old Oct 21, 2003, 07:50 AM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Fully configured Schubie awaiting to be mounted.

I hope to have the Panther ready to fly very soon, will fly it before I'll paint/detail it.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 08:06 AM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Since the Schubie dont mate up to the intakes perfectly (designed for Turbofan 1000) I had to make some sort of fairing myself. So I wrapped the Schubie in cling film and put one turn of Kapton tape around its schroud. Then mixed epoxy with microballons and glued it all in place It didnt occur to me untill after that it could have been much better if I had added a 1/2" wide 1/64" thin ply ring around the Schubie for a better mounting flange. Once epoxy was cures remove fan (easy to do due to the cling film) and peel of the film/tape from the fairing.

This picture dont show it well but the intake center walls are cut to allow the rotor of the fan to run without chopping things up

The Schubie will be glued to the fairing by using silicon.
Last edited by Haldor; Oct 21, 2003 at 08:08 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 10:02 AM
Joined Aug 2000
3,919 Posts
Arngeir & Haldor

Thanks. I was hoping that you'd be able to show the sort of contortions the ducting went through to be inserted, but evidently Aeronaut prefer to keep that info to themselves

Hope you guys can get a good video of the stream take-off and formation aerobatics we all hope you're planning

Gordon
Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Gordon
Old Oct 21, 2003, 10:31 AM
mid west
Joined Jan 2002
668 Posts
For what it is worth, make note of the cg, having put together two now and acquiring unclejoes old bird with Schubies I had to move the fan to the rear(uncljoe did it on his own he's been at this awhile) I also had cut out the intake, a bit more aggressively and then had to move the fan back on the retract plane. I am using the earlier Schübeler fan. fixed lg steerable, and Lipolys

P.S. ESC in rear also.
Morris
Ductedfann is offline Find More Posts by Ductedfann
Last edited by Ductedfann; Oct 21, 2003 at 11:47 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 10:32 AM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gordon
Thanks. I was hoping that you'd be able to show the sort of contortions the ducting went through to be inserted, but evidently Aeronaut prefer to keep that info to themselves
I'm sure the formers and ducts were installed during fuselage layup and/or when the upper/lower fuselage halves were joined.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 12:42 PM
Germany
Joined Sep 2002
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Haldor

I hope to have the Panther ready to fly very soon, will fly it before I'll paint/detail it.

You will get the decals on friday!!!!!, the paints (at the beginning of the) (early) next week!!!!!
RalleKnalle is offline Find More Posts by RalleKnalle
Old Oct 21, 2003, 01:41 PM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Danke Ralf, wirklich klasse!

Ich wunche die erstflug ohne decor und farbe ( wenigsten airbeitzeit...) zu machen. Dann est ist zeit fur die details..
Old Oct 21, 2003, 02:36 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,953 Posts
Midi fan mount

Here is how I'm mounting the WeMoTec Midi fan. Sanded the duct flush with the bulkhead and cut the flanges off the Midi fan. Attaching using "L" brackets (from EJF F-86 kit). See the picture. Everything will be bolted & glued together. The fan will be removable.
Bob
bruff is online now Find More Posts by bruff
Old Oct 22, 2003, 12:56 AM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
I have installed the aileron servo's (2x HS81's) and linked them up. Also programmed the travel/differential/ and spoilerons for landing.

I managed to get a good CG with a 18x 2600 pack up front but this is with the fairly heavy B50-16L motor. I might swap it out in favour of a lighter Fun500-21 for 14cell ops. We'll see. Projeced weight with current motor and 20x CP1700's 2,2kg.
With 18x FAUP's 2kg flat seem achievable.
Last edited by Haldor; Oct 22, 2003 at 01:11 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2003, 01:28 AM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
cool stuff haldor. This is a great looking plane when all done up. I get an extra kick out of it cause a playground I used to play at when I was a kid actually had a gutted one in the sand box.LOL Another one around the corner from where I live now has a T-33!

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000