HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:58 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
668 Posts
Thanks Ed. Measured my crane...it's 1/32" aluminum. Guess that explains why it's a bit "bendy". Think I'll try it, if it's too flexible, I'll make a beefier one.

Kevin
poltergeist is offline Find More Posts by poltergeist
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:42 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
668 Posts
Almost there....

Well, finally got some time to work on the spars/rig for ol' #551. Still need to finalize the sheeting and electronics. Haven't decided what type of switch to use (if any). I've got a Deans plug "switch" in one of my other boats, and a magnetic reed switch in another. The inside of the boat should be fairly easily accessible, so maybe just a slide switch inside would work. Any opinions????

Buncha pics for those interested.

Kevin
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:02 PM
United States, DE, Lewes
Joined Dec 2005
398 Posts
Kevin,

Your boat is really looking GREAT!! The yellow & the color/grain of the deck look really good together. You should be in the water very shortly. Unfortunately, the building of our new house & pending move to Delaware has severely curtailed the building of my 36 incher On the plus side, I will be able to sail it in my back yard once we move there
werlec is offline Find More Posts by werlec
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:33 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,803 Posts
Kevin,

The rigging and all the hardware looks very nice, I can't wait to see it at the lake. How about some carbon fiber for the hatch covers. Do you have a launch date yet?

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:29 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
668 Posts
Thanks Werlec.....would be really nice to have a pond in the backyard!!!

Ed....I thought about CF for the hatch covers, but wondered if it might effect signal path to the below deck receiver antennas. That and it's probably still too stiff. The main cover has to bend up at the back as it slides off to clear the mainsheet exit. I found some really thin ply, but it's grain/color doesn't match too well. The ply I used for the deck seems a bit too stiff.

Might be ready for next weekend. Not sure if I'll be available next Sunday though. I'll keep you posted.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:01 AM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
unless there is something I don't know about... I don't think CF will impede the signal.

I have, before made a laminate material using just layers of 2 ounce fiberglass cloth soaked in regular hobby shop two part epoxy sandwiched that between glass and wieghted.

I was hoping for something much stiffer, but it came out very bendy, so that might be up your ally.

and besides... what you have there doesn't look bad at all
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:27 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
668 Posts
Got the electronics and sheeting pretty much finalized. I ended up making a simple "switch" out of a 2 pin mini Deans connector. With the short plug in the boat is "on". Should be easy to access by only sliding the hatch back and inch or so, but hopefully it'll stay dry. Using a Spektrum 6210 satellite receiver, with the main rec. velcro'd to the aft sail servo mount, and the sat. on the front mount. Hopefully they're high enough. I may have to reconsider and attach them to the underside of the deck.

Ed Crowell's sail arm dimensions worked perfectly. Thanks Ed for letting me "steal" them.

Soldered/shrink tubed up a wire harness that connects the battery directly to the sail servo, so there's no chance of voltage drop through the receiver. Not sure I made the pigtail long enough to make the battery easy to connect. May have to do some fine-tuning. I may be looking for a heavier battery pack, as (according to my postal scale) the boat weighs 13lbs-8oz. Guess I better check the accuracy of my scale.

Kevin
Last edited by poltergeist; Aug 30, 2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:17 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,803 Posts
Hi Kevin,

You have a nice clean installation of the electronic gear. I have a small commercial scale that weights to 100th of a pound and goes up to 50 pounds. Maybe I can bring it to the lake and let you borrow it to check the weight if you are interested.

Ed
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:35 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
668 Posts
Thanks Ed. I may take you up on that. I've tested my scale with a standard at a lower weight, and it's pretty accurate there. I just wonder if maybe it's not so accurate at higher weights. I need to find a 15# accurate standard and see what my scale reads.

Still tinkering with servo resolution settings. Set the boat up out in the wind yesterday to try and do some baseline tuning.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:29 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,803 Posts
Kevin,

I just looked up the spektrum 6210 satellite receiver, it looks like an interesting setup. Have you used this unit before?

Ed
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:34 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
668 Posts
Ed,

I recently upgraded to the Spectrum DX6i transmitter, so the 6210 receiver came with it. I've used one of the Spektrum copy, Hobbyking "Orange" satellite receivers in my "Phantomstein" boat with good results so far. My only concern is that since these are supposed to be aircraft receivers, they don't have long antennas, and in the C-J, they're mounted kinda low close to the waterline. Seems to range check on land just fine, only question is will the water effect range?

You're using Airtronics gear as I recall? How's that receiver look? Assume you've had no issues?

Kevin
Last edited by poltergeist; Aug 30, 2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:05 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,803 Posts
Kevin,

The antenna on the Airtronics receiver is mounted on the back side and the starboard side of the hatch opening up high. To hold them in place I glued some clear plastic tube on the frame then threaded the wires into it. They wanted to fall out so I used a piece of toothpick to hold them in place.

I have not had any issues with the receiver.

Ed
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:22 PM
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Crowell View Post
Kevin,

The antenna on the Airtronics receiver is mounted on the back side and the starboard side of the hatch opening up high. To hold them in place I glued some clear plastic tube on the frame then threaded the wires into it. They wanted to fall out so I used a piece of toothpick to hold them in place.

I have not had any issues with the receiver.

Ed
In my experience I have had issues with the short-tail receivers. From now on I'll be using only the Rx with long-tails, and two of them. One split on each side of the hull, with the cocktail straw method described above.

I was using a AR6200. Not anymore!

P.S. all the problems I had were at significant distances. No issues at a reasonable distance from where you stand. However, you don't want to take the chance of glitching when trying to round a mark in a big fleet.

Another tip to gain some extra signal is to make sure the tip of your Spektrum radio is bent 90 degrees at the hinge, instead of straight out pointing toward the boat.
breakwater is online now Find More Posts by breakwater
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:01 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakwater View Post
In my experience I have had issues with the short-tail receivers. From now on I'll be using only the Rx with long-tails, and two of them. One split on each side of the hull, with the cocktail straw method described above.

I was using a AR6200. Not anymore!

P.S. all the problems I had were at significant distances. No issues at a reasonable distance from where you stand. However, you don't want to take the chance of glitching when trying to round a mark in a big fleet.

Another tip to gain some extra signal is to make sure the tip of your Spektrum radio is bent 90 degrees at the hinge, instead of straight out pointing toward the boat.
Were you running your AR6200 with a satellite receiver? The claim is that the sat. really reduces signal loss and glitching......guess I'll find out.

Kevin
Old Sep 01, 2012, 11:23 AM
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poltergeist View Post
Were you running your AR6200 with a satellite receiver? The claim is that the sat. really reduces signal loss and glitching......guess I'll find out.

Kevin
Yes, i was using the satellite... Sorry I now, not in the photo.
breakwater is online now Find More Posts by breakwater