SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 07, 2012, 12:17 AM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboats View Post
Hi Guys, First I am not related to Herman Berger. Next I would like to share with you a fun rig I worked up for my Canterbury J
That's pretty dang tight right there! great looking boat!

what would that type of Rig be called and is there any advantages over a regular bermuda sloop rig?
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2012, 01:51 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,859 Posts
Very interesting setup. I was also thinking about building another "CJ" with the dual jibs someday. It looks like your set-up is working good. You have a nice looking boat.

Ed
Ed Crowell is online now Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Aug 07, 2012, 08:39 PM
Joined Apr 2011
29 Posts
Hi guys the advantage of this set up is that it can replace the standard Jib. Both sails are on the same boom and there is only one drum winch. I had it on a boat with an arm winch and it works even better. If anyone wants more info email me. hanssberger@comcast.net
Bergerboats is offline Find More Posts by Bergerboats
Old Aug 07, 2012, 11:11 PM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboats View Post
...I would like to share with you a fun rig I worked up for my Canterbury J
@Bergerboats:
Thanks for sharing this novel idea - looks very nice.

A question:
It looks to me as if this alteration would reduce the amount of jib sail area in total by a fair bit (maybe 15-20%). I am wondering - does this result in problems with increased weather helm as you have effectively moved the COE (centre of effort) both back and also up a bit and that should be the effect I would think.

Or are you perhaps getting improved jib performance from the multiplier effect of the two smaller jibs drafting each other that compensates for the reduced area?
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:21 PM
Joined Apr 2011
29 Posts
sorry Kevin, I did not mean to Hijack your build site, so anyone interested in the dubble jib setup please you to the discussion site
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1464216
Keep up the good work, Hans
Bergerboats is offline Find More Posts by Bergerboats
Old Aug 09, 2012, 01:46 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
715 Posts
No worries Hans. Any CJ info is welcome here . Got a nice treat in the mail today. Suit of sails from Bob S at Sirius Sails. They look very nice. I've been "cooking" all week at work, and this weekend is supposed to be just as bad @ 105 degrees +. I think I'll lock myself in my "workshop" with the AC blasting and work on getting my spars built.

Kevin
poltergeist is online now Find More Posts by poltergeist
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:44 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,859 Posts
Looks nice with the yellow tabs. Are they the turbo model?

Ed
Old Aug 09, 2012, 12:49 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
715 Posts
I didn't order the "Turbo" suit.....but I sure hope so!!!!!!

Kevin
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:38 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
715 Posts
Forgot to mention, wanted to give a plug to Bob Szczepanski at Sirius Sails.

I contacted him via email and the next morning he sent me a written proposal/quotation. We agreed on the specifics of the sails and he gave me an estimated completion date. I sent him a check via snail mail. He confirmed via email when he received my check, and gave me a definite completion date. Then he continued to email me as he progressed with my sails, and then an email when he shipped them. They were in my hands (from across the country no less) BEFORE his original estimated completion date.

I don't think I've ever been kept so "in the loop" by a supplier. I've had good service from others and very few bad experiences, but Bob's service goes above and beyond in my opinion. Thanks Bob.

Kevin
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:30 AM
Faith in Lift.
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,728 Posts
Beautiful looking CJ, you have there, Kevin. I just came back from the ODOM national championship regatta at San Diego and have been highly motivated to finish mine.
Keep up the great work!

Randy
Pilatuspc12 is online now Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Old Aug 16, 2012, 01:01 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
715 Posts
Cool Randy.

Did you race? I had thought about going down to SD to spectate, but decided to stay home and work on the boat instead. didn't get nearly as much accomplished as I hoped, but did get started on my mast. Decided to go with spreaders, as it didn't seem to me the mast would be stiff enough without them and lower shrouds. Got my gooseneck/boom vang bracket "machined"but realized I didn't have all the parts I need for the boom vang itself. Also ran out of SS leader so only got the lowers installed. Decided to try polishing the mast shiny....hoping that a coat of clear will keep it looking nice for awhile.....time wil tell.

Let's see some pics of your C-J!!!!

Kevin
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:47 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,859 Posts
Hi Kevin,

I like the way you designed the main boom support and the mast should be nice and light on the upper end. I just noticed the red and green tell tales on your sails. Did you make them and what are they made of?

Ed
Old Aug 16, 2012, 01:22 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
715 Posts
Ed,

The telltails came installed on the sails. They seem to be ripstop nylon spinnaker cloth. Still more work to do on the masthead crane, need to cut it to length and clean up the edges and drill holes for the backstay etc. It's pretty bendable, so I'm a little afraid to drill lightening holes in it. Do you recall how thick the aluminum was that you used for yours? I'm wondering if I should use something thicker? (I can't recall the gauge of sheetmetal I used...something I had "on the shelf").

Kevin
Old Aug 16, 2012, 03:15 PM
Faith in Lift.
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,728 Posts
Kevin, I would have loved to race but alas, I wasn't able to bring my boat in the airplane I was flying. It was very gratifying to watch a very professionally run regatta and learn as much as was possible in that very short time. It provided much motivation to re-start my club, here in Western Colorado.

Regards,

Randy
Pilatuspc12 is online now Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Old Aug 16, 2012, 06:40 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,859 Posts
Kevin,

I used 1/16 aluminum for the backstay crane.

Ed