HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2012, 11:58 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
690 Posts
Started working on hatch slides for the fore and aft hatches. Have been impressed with the Victor V32 hatch, so decided to set the C-J up similarly. Time consuming because I glued the rails down piece by piece with West "G Flex" epoxy (nice because it's easy to mix small batches at 50/50 ratio, but has a fairly long cure time).

Took awhile because I only had so many clamps to use. Had to modify some small c clamps to make them fit over the hatch frame beams.

So far, with everything but the rig, hatch covers and sail arm, I'm at 12lbs-7.5oz.
poltergeist is online now Find More Posts by poltergeist
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2012, 09:09 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,836 Posts
Kevin,

It looks like you will be able to meet the minimum weight. I like the way you modified the "C" clamp.

I would have liked to use the sliding hatch cover on my boat. But with the long single hatch it puts it right up to the rear fair lead exit.

You are doing an excellent build,
Ed
Ed Crowell is online now Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old May 16, 2012, 09:47 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
690 Posts
Thanks Ed,

I'm planning on using a low profile fairlead for the main sheet, which should allow the hatch to slide all the way off with a little flexing. Of course the sheets will have to be eased to make this work. Everything's a compromise I guess.

Kevin
Old May 23, 2012, 11:48 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
690 Posts
After spending a day and a half on jury duty trying to get kicked off, had a bit of time yesterday to get hatch covers rough cut and stained. Two thin coats of West System on the deck to fill in the cloth texture. Should just need a light scuff before a few coats of spar varnish (at least that's the plan).

Kevin
Old May 24, 2012, 08:45 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,836 Posts
Very nice. I like the wood grain pattern of the deck.

Ed
Old May 25, 2012, 08:54 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,836 Posts
Kevin,

Have you picked a color for the hull yet?

Ed
Old May 25, 2012, 09:41 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
690 Posts
Ed,

I think I'm going to go with a warm, pale yellow. In the 60's, Chevy had a color "Butternut Yellow" that I've always liked. I'm hoping to find something close to that. Still haven't decided to paint the whole hull one color, or paint the bottom white. I'm leaning toward the later. Gonna start working on finish fairing the keel,and hopefully get some prime on the hull in the next few days.

Kevin
Old May 28, 2012, 11:20 AM
Yank Pilot
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,691 Posts
looks good, Kevin.
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Old Jun 04, 2012, 12:21 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
690 Posts
Got the hull sanded, filled some pinholes, then a coat of primer and more sanding, only to discover more pinholes to fill. Will need some spot putty and a few more coats of primer in some areas before she's ready for topcoat.

Kevin
Old Jun 04, 2012, 12:57 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,316 Posts
Nice.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jun 04, 2012, 08:51 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,836 Posts
The hull is looking very nice. You would have enjoyed sailing Sunday. There was a steady light breeze at 9:30 then a strong steady wind came up at 10:30. Robert sailed his new Santa Barbra for the first time.

Ed
Old Jun 25, 2012, 08:52 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,836 Posts
Hi Kevin,

Any progress on the "CJ".

Ed
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:38 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
690 Posts
Hi Ed,

I've been sidetracked thev last few weeks. I think she's pretty much ready for paint, I may still do one more coat of prime on the keel and a full sanding. I got the waterline marked off, but I'm not sure it's where I'd like it so I may do it over. I need to get back on track.

Kevin
Old Jul 02, 2012, 11:43 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
690 Posts
Got a bit accomplished the last few days. After a bunch of sanding with 600 grit I finally decided the hull was "good enough". I marked the waterline again with my "dial indicator" fixture, masked the boat and sprayed the bottom with Rustoleum Gloss White. This was an unused can that I bought some time ago. Started out fine, but at some point the can started spraying out hardened bits of paint. A light sanding should take care of them and I guess I'll buy a new can before spraying another coat....lesson learned.

Also got my sail arm mostly fabricated. I used (stole) Ed Crowell's measurements that he was nice enough to post in his build thread. Just needs some final finish work and a coat of clear.

May try and get a coat of paint on the above the waterline parts of the hull on the 4th if all goes well.

Kevin
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:07 AM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,114 Posts
Lookin' good. I painted this old thing with rattle cans, ití a mofo. Good luck!
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob