Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:49 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
662 Posts
Thanks Ed,

Your comments are always appreciated. Your C-J is a tough standard to aspire to, but I'm doing my best.

Hope your back feels better....my hip has been killing me the last few weeks. It better get better soon or I'll have to hire someone to launch my boat for me!!!

Kevin
poltergeist is offline Find More Posts by poltergeist
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2012, 07:09 PM
USA, CA, Riverside
Joined Oct 2010
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poltergeist View Post
Any pics from yesterday to whet my appetite???

Kevin
Sorry, no pictures. Didn't take the camera but wish I had. Missed a perfect shot of Robert's T-37 just short of planing on perfectly flat water with a nice wake.

Rich
rsgault is offline Find More Posts by rsgault
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:29 PM
Joined Jan 2012
93 Posts
I'll be in Redondo Bch this weekend, where is this famous lake you are always talking about. Maybe I'll be able to drop by. Is there any sailing on the weekend?
Hot Tuna is offline Find More Posts by Hot Tuna
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:21 PM
rjd
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Apr 2009
93 Posts
Lake Evans is located in Fairmont Park in Riverside, CA.. We will be on Dexter Ave., accross from the Golf Course.

The Regatta is Sunday @ 10:00. I look forward to seeing you then.
rjd is offline Find More Posts by rjd
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:52 PM
Tow Dog.
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,655 Posts
Good job, Kevin. I am now severely motivated to complete #539. It looks like my wife will finish the deck as she needs some time to work on our new boat to keep her mind off of her cancer.

Randy
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:07 PM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
Oh shi t Randy, do you guys get a break.

I hope she wins the battle. Let me know if I can do any thing for you, I have been there.
Schrott is offline Find More Posts by Schrott
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:35 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilatuspc12 View Post
Good job, Kevin. I am now severely motivated to complete #539. It looks like my wife will finish the deck as she needs some time to work on our new boat to keep her mind off of her cancer.

Randy
Thanks Randy. Look forward to seeing your progress, make sure to post pictures so I can steal your ideas!!! Hope that having a "project" helps with your wife's recovery.

I'm hoping to make some progress with my deck this weekend too. I never seem to get as much done as I hope.

Kevin
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:28 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
662 Posts
Rough cut-out a deck this weekend. 1mm plywood. Stained the visible side of the deck with "golden oak" stain, and laminated some 1.5oz glass cloth to both sides with West System. It won't be as pretty as a planked deck, but I don't have the time to tackle that project, plus I'm trying to keep the boat at min weight. Squeegied some peel ply over the lamination to the bottom of the deck, which gives me a nice surface to bond the deck to the hull. Plan is to glue the deck on, then after cutting out the hatches I'll work on getting a smooth, glossy clear finish on top with more West.

Also thinned some West System with denatured alchohol and coated the exposed wood inside the boat.

Kevin
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:07 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,792 Posts
Kevin,

your making progress. Where did you get the 1mm plywood? I remember reading about peel ply a while back, could you refresh my memory on what it is.

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:18 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
662 Posts
Ed,

The ply came from Aircraft Spruce in Corona, it converts to 3/64" . I thought the 1/32" might be a little thin, considering I planned to put a lighter cloth on both sides. It's probably a bit overkill, as it seems plenty stiff now.

Peel ply is a release fabric that can be squeegied over the epoxy before it cures. Allows you to force out any excess resin, and it peels off after curing to leave a nice textured surface for further laminating/bonding etc. I like the stuff.

Also ordered some alum. tube for a mast from onlinemetals.com. For the shipping cost, I ordered an extra length as a back-up, or in case I decide to build a B-rig.

Kevin
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:08 PM
Tow Dog.
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,655 Posts
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Last edited by Pilatuspc12; May 11, 2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old May 07, 2012, 12:07 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
662 Posts
Deck

Finally tackled the deck install. This was stressful on my V32 build, so I expected it to be here as well. Thanks to Ed Crowell, I made a tracing of the beam locations etc, to use as reference after the deck went on. Never would've thought of that, but should prove very helpful. Also took his lead and lined the inside of the boat with paper towels to collect any dripping epoxy.

I decided to use threaded eyebolts for the jib tack pivot and backstay, so I made some threaded aluminum plates that were epoxied in while the deck was off. This gave me a way to hold the deck into place on the centerline, then I just taped the edges down with LOTS of strapping tape. Same way I'd done my V32 in the past. After it was all taped down, I inverted the boat on a folded up blanket to let the weight on the boat help push to deck into place, and also to allow the epoxy mix to flow "up" (or down depending on how you look at it) into the hull to deck joint.

After overnight cure, I peeled off all the tape (including the blue tape used to protect the hull, deck surfaces from squeezed out epoxy), and rough sanded the edge of the deck to match the hull. Then with measurements from my template, cut out the main hatch and the rudder access hatch. Still need to clean up the cutouts and finish sand the hull/deck joint, then should be ready to fair/prime/paint.

So far the hull, deck, servos (no sail arm), rudder, receiver, batt pack, and some (but not all) of the deck hardware weighs 12lbs-7oz

Sorry for being long winded...just happy to make some progress this weekend.
Last edited by poltergeist; May 07, 2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old May 07, 2012, 12:26 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,260 Posts
Looking good.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old May 07, 2012, 05:34 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,792 Posts
Kevin,

The deck looks nice, and that is a good idea turning the hull over to keep the epoxy from dripping down into the hull. The eye-bolts should be nice and strong threaded into a plate. Have you weighed the hull with the deck on?

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old May 07, 2012, 06:03 PM
rjd
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Apr 2009
93 Posts
Looking great!
rjd is offline Find More Posts by rjd