SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 31, 2012, 04:53 PM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Is Hans Berger related to Herman Berger that ran Pop Up Manufacturing out of Long Island for 20+ years? He had some really nice stuff and was very innovative.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:12 AM
Joined Jan 2012
95 Posts
Kevin,
Thanks for doing this build log, this is a big help to us rookies. I learned a lot from Ed's and look forward to yours.
What kind of wood are you using to frame in all the deck support structure? King plank, Sheer strip, hatch frames, etc.
Thanks,
Tom
Hot Tuna is offline Find More Posts by Hot Tuna
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:45 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
674 Posts
Tom,

I'm using the wood kit that Hans sells for the boat. I'd guess the solid wood is bass or similar and the ply for the deck beams is probably birch? Maybe Hans will chime in. I'm using some birch lite ply for an additional deck beam and the servo mountings.

Kevin
poltergeist is offline Find More Posts by poltergeist
Last edited by poltergeist; Apr 02, 2012 at 12:53 AM.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:53 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
674 Posts
Didn't get nearly as much accomplished today as I had hoped. Got the rudder servo mounts made up and epoxied in and the servo mounted. Also made an additional deck beam for an aft hatch. Still need some final fitting before gluing the kingplank and deck beams in, but want to get the sail servo mounts finalized first. Sloooooooow and steady......

Kevin
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:37 AM
Yank Pilot
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,676 Posts
Thanks for that tip for making a boat stand, Islander51, that certainly makes things easier for proper shaping of the uprights.
Good job on your boat, Kevin. It looks like it is coming along nicely!

Randy
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:48 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,814 Posts
I like your design on the servo mount.

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Apr 06, 2012, 07:38 PM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Nobody remembers Pop Up manufacturing and the cool boats they built? The self righting catamarans and cup boats were awesome. Hans has got to be related.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Apr 06, 2012, 07:49 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
674 Posts
I remember seeing the ads but don't think I've seen any of the boats in person. No idea whether Hans is related. Maybe he'll check in here and chime in.

Kevin
Last edited by poltergeist; Apr 09, 2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 12:05 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
674 Posts
Got the sail servo mounts fabricated and glued in Saturday, then moved on to final fitting of the deck beams and king plank. Had to modify the deck beams that Hans supplied because I moved the #4 beam forward to form the back edge of the smaller main hatch, and moved the #5 beam forward a bit to make the aft edge of the rudder hatch. Made my own beam out of lite ply for the forward edge of the rudder hatch. Not quite the quality of Hans' beams, but it'll have to do. Next need to frame the sides of the hatches and add the stern gussets and chainplate reinforcements.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 08:37 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,814 Posts
Kevin,

That's an awesome looking servo mount for the sail servo.

Ed
Old Apr 10, 2012, 06:43 PM
Yank Pilot
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,676 Posts
Boy, that'll work! Good Job.

Randy
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:07 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
674 Posts
Got the hatches framed, as well as the chainplate reinforcements and stern sheer plates fitted and epoxied in place. Had to wait most of the day for the glue to dry, then was able to get the deck beams etc sanded down to make a fairly even shape for the deck to glue to.

Last week I picked up a sheet of 1mm aircraft ply. I think my plan is to stain it and cover it with a layer of thin glass cloth on each side, then glue it to the hull. My plan is to leave the deck ply a natural finish, so will probably use a similar procedure to how I did my Dumas Chris Craft kit. A layer of West and 1.45 oz glass cloth, then a few coats of straight West System to fill the cloth weave and smooth out the deck. Then spar varnish over the top for UV protection.

....that's the plan as of today.....subject to change on a whim...

Kevin
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:27 AM
USA, CA, Riverside
Joined Oct 2010
160 Posts
So, that's why you weren't at the lake yesterday. Actually it was a pretty nice day yesterday. Some nice breeze.

Rich
rsgault is offline Find More Posts by rsgault
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:18 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsgault View Post
So, that's why you weren't at the lake yesterday. Actually it was a pretty nice day yesterday. Some nice breeze.

Rich
Sorry I didn't make it out yesterday. If I don't take advantage of the days off that I have, I'll never get the CJ built! I'm using West epoxy for all the gluing, so the cure time really slows down the build. On my V32 and C-C I used a lot of CA glue. Time will tell if it makes any difference. Any pics from yesterday to whet my appetite???

Kevin
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:18 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,814 Posts
Kevin,

The boat is coming along great. I am looking forward to seeing it on the water.

I was planning on going to the lake yesterday, but my back has been giving me some trouble. Hope to be out there soon.

Ed