Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:54 AM
Chicago , Illinois
Joined Jul 2008
878 Posts
Poltergeist
you could try this : if your topping lift is hanging up, use a piece of light line,
it attaches to the jib luff, goes aft leaving .75" space at leech, then goes back to
luff -both ends can be held with tape, sail number material,etc.
I took a pic of an old dacron jib on my EC-12 rig to try and illustrate this.....
thorsail is offline Find More Posts by thorsail
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:39 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,073 Posts
You can also take a short piece of 3mm elastic thread from a craft or sewing store and tie it at the boom and on the topping lift line up a few inches with a slip knot. Then pull the knot up the lift line to put a little tension on it. This keeps the line close to the leech and keeps it from catching on the spreaders. It works great and does not put the leech of the sail at risk if it snags on something.

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:55 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsgault View Post
Seeing these two together makes me want to build one. Just what I need is another boat. Boats both look great. Nice job!

Rich
Since when has a Gault had enough boats/cars/motorcycles/trailers/toys etc?

I've got enough plywood for another deck and another tube for a mast.......

....just sayin'....

Have a good trip.

Kevin
poltergeist is online now Find More Posts by poltergeist
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:03 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
657 Posts
Thorsail,

Funny, because that's what my million dollar "R&D crew" came up with too. (Actually I'd seen a similar set up in the past).

Last night I used a short piece of 10lb monofiliment and tied it to the luff wire (by poking a small hole in the luff pocket of the jib). Then tied/stitched it to the spectra topping lift. My first attempt didn't have enough slack and interfered with the leech of the jib. 2nd attempt I think I got it about right! The nice thing with the monofiliment is it's flexible and virtually invisible. We'll see how it works next time I get the boat out!!! Thanks for the ideas guys.

Kevin
Last edited by poltergeist; Oct 09, 2012 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Added photo
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:36 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,778 Posts
OK Rich,

Kevin has the deck and mast for you. I can make the hardware for you. I can also supply the booms. What are you waiting for?

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:05 AM
USA, CA, Riverside
Joined Oct 2010
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Crowell View Post
OK Rich,

Kevin has the deck and mast for you. I can make the hardware for you. I can also supply the booms. What are you waiting for?

Ed
Ed,

It will be on my Christmas list. We'll see if I have been good or not!

Rich
rsgault is offline Find More Posts by rsgault
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:26 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fokker Ace View Post
Would love to see photos of one of these boats sailed in a place with some wind and waves.
This pic from the guys in NZL that sail Canterbury's.

More here http://canterbury-j-class.org.nz/ind...lery&Itemid=15
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:38 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
657 Posts
I've got the envious problem (i suppose) of having #551 come out a bit light. With a small 4.8V battery pack the boat weighed around 13lbs8oz. Minimum all up weight per the class rules is 14lbs5oz.

My first step was to switch over to a big 7.2V 4200 nimh battery pack. This fits nicely in the keel sump as low as possible in the boat. Had to switch out the rudder servo to a Hitec 5087 high voltage servo to match the 7950 I'm using for the sails. Nice thing is I think I can sail the boat non-stop all day (and then some) with this battery.

Also added 3.2oz of lead shot in a small zip-bag in the keel sump.

Ed Crowell was nice enough to let me borrow his super-sensitive, super accurate check-out scale, which reads 14.32lbs. (converts to 14lbs5.12oz).

My slightly less accurate (and less sensitive) postal scale reads 14lbs5.5oz.

I think that's close enough!!! Thanks again to Ed Crowell for all his help and support!!!

Kevin
Last edited by poltergeist; Oct 12, 2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:20 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,778 Posts
Kevin,

If you get a chance, see how much your sails and rigging weighs. I will check mine when I get the scale back. I am sure your rigging is lighter than mine. it would be nice to know the difference.

You can do a Tare on the scale, but only a small amount. Probably under a pound.

Ed
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:15 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
657 Posts
Ed,

A little tough to get the whole rig to balance on the scale and not have something touching the ground. Did get it to work. Mast, booms, spreaders, sails, rigging and hardware came out to .58lbs (which converts to 9.28oz).

Let me know when you want your scale back and I'll figure out how to meet up with you.

Kevin
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:24 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,778 Posts
Kevin,

I am in no hurry to get the scale back. I will see you some Sunday at the lake.

Ed
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:38 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
657 Posts
Got the boat out sailing with Ed's #529 again yesterday. Not much wind, but the boat moves surprisingly well in 1-2 knots with the sails eased just a touch and a fair amount of twist. I think I'll need to rethink my topping lift "keeper" as it seems to cause a slight curl in the leech of the jib, especially when eased out. Think I might try the elastic idea this time.

Happy to hear that Kay in the INS has ordered a C-J hull. That makes 3 locally!!!

Kevin
Canterbury J #551
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:56 PM
Tow Dog.
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,651 Posts
Beautiful looking rig, Kevin!
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:10 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
657 Posts
Thanks Randy.

Look forward to seeing yours sailing soon!!!

Kevin
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:28 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
657 Posts
Well didn't get the boat out sailing this weekend, but did try to re-engineer my jib topping lift "keeper".

I kicked around trying elastic, but decided to try and refine my original setup, more along the lines of Thorsail's recomendation several posts back.

So now my monofiliment "keeper" runs on both sides of the jib, and run through a thimble inserted into the spectra topping lift line by unlaying and spreading the strands. This should allow the "keepers" to float back and forth and not interefere with the leech of the jib. Set the boat up on it's stand outside in the breeze and so far, seems to work well.

Kevin